I know I have read this here but can't locate now....

What is an acceptable safe temerature for the outside of a glass candle container. I have really wicked down and am super happy with the way the candle burns but it still seems a bit too hot for me, I just want to make sure it's safe. Are there any tests for this etc. ? I know I have read info on this sometime ago but can't find it tonite. Thanks

You are thinking of the ASTM stadards, which are copyrighted. I don't know anyone who has purchased them and the reports we have seen here or from suppliers seem to conflict or don't provide complete information.

We have heard a maximum temperature of 175 F for the melt pool.

We have heard a maximum temperature of 175 F for the container, which is burning hot.

Duration of the burn hasn't been specified but I've heard that the standard test is 8 hours.

I have also heard that the maximum container temperature is 140 F after 8 hours.

Official standards aside, most people don't want the container to be too hot to touch or pick up during a normal burn session.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I'd go with Top's 2nd statement... :)

QUOTE: THE ASTM has declared that 175 is the Maximum temperature that the Container can be when the melt pool has been achieved on your candles. Any thing above this can be a hazard. Please check your candles to comply with these standards.

• 4 weeks later...
what's the best way to check the temp of a container?
I'm sure this isn't the most accurate method, but feeling it with one's hand is a sure-fire way to see if the container is too hot. If I cannot safely touch a container without being burned, it's hotter than I want the container to be. :) Edited by Stella1952

Thanks, Stella, that's how I've been testing it so far!:laugh2:

But, I'm thinking that since everyone has a somewhat different tolerance level for what's "too hot" by the hand-to-the-glass method, I wondered if there was a good "official" way.

But, I'm thinking that since everyone has a somewhat different tolerance level for what's "too hot" by the hand-to-the-glass method, I wondered if there was a good "official" way.

I don't know what the official method is, but I have a few ideas that might be useful.

The only thermometer candlemakers routinely use that's designed to measure surface temperatures is the infrared variety. However, it's not calibrated for glass and won't give an accurate reading. The owner's manual may include specific instructions for working around this, so you can check there. The basic idea is to put black tape on the surface of the glass and take the reading from that.

The only other alternative I know of is to use a thermometer with a surface contact probe. It could be the type with a handheld readout that you can plug all different kinds of probes into. I think there are also compact single-purpose thermometers with this kind of probe that are a lot cheaper.

Thanks, Top.

I'm still at the point where I can't justify spending the bucks on an infrared thermometer (I'd rather spend it on FO :cheesy2:).

Right now I'm using my old glass candy thermo or, occasionally, the electronic one I jam into my turkeys & roasts.

I'll file the info for future.

Being still new at this, I guess I thought that if there was a "standard" like the ASTM, then anyone who sold their candles were obligated to make sure they complied.

If that was the case, I imagine someone would have figured out a quick and dirty way to do it!

Thanks again!