Royalty free photos

quietgirl2004

Do you mean on the packaging? or online listings?

Not sure exactly what you are asking to use the photos for- but In general I would advise that no photos found online, unless taken by you, should ever be used for commercial applications unless you have written permission. Photographers and other artisans are fiercly protective of their photos and for good reason. Essentially, its theft and you never know whether or not its a licensed photo because with free software anyone can copy any image and claim it as their own. with "print screen" you can take a screenshot and even capture pictures that have right click disabled.. so because of that you cant be sure that photo, even if on something like flikr with no restrictions, is a photo you have permission to use. You can search "free clip art" or "free graphics" and see what you come up with, but unless it states "Free for personal AND commerical use" I would not use any image you dont own on your products. I know a woman on etsy who just got sued for using a free label sheet which was approved for PERSONAL use and producing them for use on her items.. the tutorial author found the images and went after her. She claimed ignorance but it doesnt matter, the fact is the download clearly states personal use only and she ignored that... and the author can prove she designed the labels. Big woops.

Photo copyrights are serious business nowadays.. I wouldnt mess with it. Take your own pics for your products or pay the license fee from places like stockphoto to use theirs, sometimes its really cheap and its worth it to be safe.

Someone I know wanted to use photos found on different websites, but asked first. These were FO/candle/soap suppliers (I will not mention names) that most of us use. They all denied her request; however, they all appreciated her asking first.

If I had a website, I would pay the relatively small fee and get the pics from places like iStock, or I'd take my own pictures.

If I were you, I'd ask first and if they agree I'd get their permission in writing; better play it safe!:smiley2:

Someone I know wanted to use photos found on different websites, but asked first. These were FO/candle/soap suppliers (I will not mention names) that most of us use. They all denied her request; however, they all appreciated her asking first.

If I had a website, I would pay the relatively small fee and get the pics from places like iStock, or I'd take my own pictures.

If I were you, I'd ask first and if they agree I'd get their permission in writing; better play it safe!:smiley2:

So interesting to hear someone asked and was denied because I cant tell you how many times I am shopping on Etsy and I see photos taken DIRECTLY off FO's suppliers websites on listings and go "hey... that looks familiar!" lol.