A different way to test?

Naomi, didn't mean to steal your thread about testing, but any time I hear of a candle catching fire, I am immediately interested. It is too scarey and is part of testing. If it ever happens to you, you will understand. I'm surprised it was palm. It's usually the last 1/3 that builds up the heat, and I have poured only the bottom 1/3 many times. Carole

No problem, Carole. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I've never heard of wax catching on fire (it doesn't make sense, but I guess anything that gets hot enough will burn). So much can go wrong with candles. I'm on the fence about eventually selling even though I've had several people ask me when I'm going to. Having insurance still won't keep me from feeling awful if something goes wrong. I often wonder how many times the big companies like Y**nkee have gotten in trouble because of candles gone wrong?

Naomi

The candle was palm wax. One candle was Mistletoe which was a chunk candle and the other was Red Clove, regular candle. I know now that the Mistletoe was over wicked, I went down two wick sizes. What was strange is the candle had only been burning about 2 hours (I was on my 2nd 4 hour burn)
When you poured your pillars, did you do the normal relief work to prevent cavity formation? The reason I ask is when the wick melts down to a cavity, the melt pool drains into it, exposing too much wick & turning into a torch... It's the one drawback of palm...:undecided Edited by Stella1952

Oh, good point, this happened to me in a container last winter when my wrecking job was not up to par. It happened to 2 palm GG candles. Thanks Stella now I know What it could have been. that's why I took a break from Palm wicking yuk:yay:

Linda

In general, I'm finding that the HTPs don't mushroom as much, but I still like the CDs and CDNs for certain candles. I especially like the HTPs for my 8 oz tins.

I recently started making 3 identical candles to test burn side by side, each with one type of wick so I can vary the size if needed. I was getting carried away and switching wick types in the same test candle to save wax. I was going in circles and questioning my results. It really helps to observe the different wick types burning simultaneously. (OK, I admit, sometimes I just stand there mesmerized watching them burn, like it's the most fascinating thing I've ever seen santalol ).

Naomi