Almost done setting up the open house

BarbaraC

Thank you everyone I will let you know how the open house turns out. This is our 8th year of having the open house and what a strange year it has been. This is what is left over from the shows we do. We just take stuff that we have a bunch of and make baskets up.

Barbara I live in Old Bridge NJ. Middlesex county. Love the Bridgewater mall

post-460-139458460303_thumb.jpg

The open house went very well this year. I did not realize when I picked the date that it was the first day of Chanukah. I live in a large Jewish community. Had 211 people come and shop. Sold 103 gift baskets, 40 dipped bears, over 100 bags of potpourri, 208 melts and over 35 cases of candles. Sold out of Tart warmers (100) and plug in warmers (17). This year a huge seller was the beeswax battery operated candle sticks. They are so easy to make and sell like crazy. I did not know how people would like the plug in warmer so I only bought 18 and the people love them. I only have the open house for 5 hours. I spent over $900 on food, I give everyone that comes a gift, and postage. All in all it was a very good day. This is just a very strange year, people buying a ton of summer scents at Christmas time one day I will have this all figured out. Now to start looking for new ideas for next year. I feel like I have tried everything under the sun that goes with candles and customers are always looking for new things.

Thank you for the idea Barbara! My house is too small to try to do this and we don't have enough parking on my short deadend street but I am wondering if the consignment store I have products in would let me rent/use their back room that they use as storage or to set up for special events like that. It would be a win-win for both of us. Maybe even bring in a couple of the other crafters that they have in the store and split the cost of the appetizers and bring in more customers by having them invite their mailing list too..like a mini craft fair.....hmmmm the possibilities!!!

We used to do home shows, but carrying all those candles in and out of houses has just become too much for us.

We still do two - one at the place we make candles and the other at my daughter-in-law's. I think next year I will try to find a place to hold it that will not require us to carry the candles up stairs....:tiptoe: I am just getting too old for that!

Congratulations on the very successful open house~!