20 Candles today!

Oh Howard....may I suggest that you have that picture blown up and framed, and hung in a prominent place in your house, because once testing starts in earnest, you will be able to look at it and remember that once apon a time, you were a happy-go-lucky, unstressed, not-a- care- in- the -world, this-is-a-piece-of-cake, candles -dont- rule- my- life-person,........ with money in the bank! And several times a day, chant the mantra "I can be that person again" "I can be that person again"!:shocked2:

OK! Here's an update. Made 24 candles this weekend. Now I have TWO melting pots going! I tried my new EZ Wick Setter...:( Not too happy with it. The openings of the fancy Whisper glass and the Elevation glass openings did not fit the Wick Setter. When I used the Wick Setter on the straight side Jelly it wiggled enough that the wick did not get centered well. I did much better just eye balling.

The high temp wick putty works so well! Just a small ball just a little bigger than a BB holds the wicks and lets you position them easily.

The plastic wick centering devices are great! Very easy to use. They eliminate the stress of centering while the wax is setting. I've attached pictures. Hope you like them. Oh yes...the business has a name now.

Art Light Candles (A Division of Artistic Lighting of Ohio).

post-11575-139458460402_thumb.jpg

post-11575-139458460405_thumb.jpg

post-11575-139458460409_thumb.jpg

post-11575-139458460413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Howard

Yes, I am melting on the stove top. Electric smooth top with the temp set on 2. Takes 20 minutes to heat 1 lb to 185 with stirring. I never leave the pots unattended. I have a degree in chemistry. A watched pot never boils but an un-watched pot is sure to blow up. I've seen it in the lab. It's not pretty. I've heated chemicals much more volatile than soy wax with gas. The key is to be careful, consistent, and precise.

Selling? Well...isn't that the idea? No...I'm not selling yet. Of course I need to do lots and lots of testing and experimenting before I actually hit the market but hey, why not get some of the business side together?

I already have a lighting company, Artistic Lighting of Ohio. The web page is www.artlightohio.com . So now I will institute a new division for candles!

I've been testing and have some friends giving me feedback on my demo candles not only on how they burn but how they look.

Right now the candles I am making are MUCH better than the soy candles my wife bought on eBay in both scent throw and burn quality.

I may go broke though...with Makes Scents Candles only 30 min. away. :shocked2:

Edited by Howard

Its a small world Stan. In a previous life I spent 12 years in the industry, touring most of the Aussie rock bands around the country on the production side of the fence, doing sound & lighting design and operation. Also did the corporate scene for a few years and 1 small stint in theatre where I designed the sound and lighting for a production of Cats, and was the FOH operator.

Richard,

Yep. I've been in bands since I was 14. Guitar and Vocals. After 2 years on the road got a day job and joined a party band in 1976. Ran my own band from 1989 to 1999 and had enough so I went into the DJ side of the business.

How in the heck that led to candles I will never know!

I use an aussie DJ program called OTSAV. Been using it since 2000. Great DJ/Video software.

Stan

I know that feeling. I am a pastrychef by trade, then into the music industry. For the last 10 years or so I have been around call centres and programming phone systems, and now with candles as an upcomming business. Don't ask me how I went from making cakes to making candles with all the other stuff in between as I wouldn't have a hope of telling you.....LOL