20 Candles today!

I live close to Makes Scents Candle Company in Pataskala Ohio. I went there Saturday and bought 50 lbs. of GB464, FO, Glass, and wicks. Not a cheap trip! Made 20 container candles today in batches of 1 and 2 lbs. with 5 different scents. What a day! All perfect! Here is a shot of me at work. To everyone here a great big THANKS! I hope in the future I can post some helpful hints like all of you.

post-11575-139458460181_thumb.jpg

Wow, for sure let us know how it goes. We want details:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Freezing here in Colorado, But I made a beautiful Mango Peach Salsa last night and with everybody's help, it still has good jar adhesion and a smooth top YEAH and the roomis kinda cool.:yay::yay:Howard you are in the right place keep the pics coming.

Linda

I have not started a burn test yet but here's the FO's

Candle Science

Cinnamon Buns

Mistletoe

Makes Scents:

Vanilla Walnut

Sleigh Bells

No Bake Cookies

12 were small 4oz. Christmas glass. ECO4 wicks.

4 were 11oz. round glass. ECO14 wicks.

3 were 8oz. straight jelly with ECO10 wicks.

1 was 8z. normal Jelly with a ECO14.

All GB464

No color

Scents added at 185

2min gentle scent stirring

pour at 135

I did have one interesting issue. I made 4 of the 4oz. first. Then made the 3 8oz. straight jars. I then started a melt for another batch. 2 of the 8oz. straight jars did not set up! Looked more like grits with oil in it. I looked closely and the third jar was fine. So, out of the same pour two were goofy and one was fine. What! Then I looked closely. The two that did not set up were closest to the stove and subject to the ambiant heat of the next pot of wax melting. I dug out the wicks (easy to do because I used the sealing clay to hold them down), then re-melted both in the microwave. I stuck in new wicks and let them cool away from the stove. They cured perfectly. I know now to pour and cure away from my heat source.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Howard

I haven't done that in a candle that was setting up, but what you did was actually an interesting chemistry experiment.

Being an oil, soy wax has multiple melting points depending on the different types of wax crystals in it. By keeping the candles too warm for the low melting point crystals to form, you were gradually growing large crystals of the high melting point variety.

It's kind of a vivid illustration of how different pouring techniques and concepts like "tempering" actually can influence the way the wax sets up - and how it behaves after the candle is made.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Nope. I don't use my stove making candles - I use a Presto and do not put my candles near heat when cooling. I cool on cookie racks with anything from a light cover (paper towels thrown over the wicks) to covering with a large styrofoam cooler or heavy cardboard box. This allows them to cool slowly & evenly with good circulation all around and protects against drafts. The box shouldn't be too close to the top of the candles. HTH :)

Hi Howard!!

Omg, run, run as fast as you can. Get away from these candles and don't look back. Your pocket book will thank you, especially if you live so close to a supply house. It will never be the same again!! This all true but if you can't, you'll be just like the rest of us. Which that is not all bad, we are some really great people, just broke...from buying oils..I'm only speaking for myself, but think there might be one or two like me. You'll love all your creations!! Good luck!

Hugs~

Michele

Howard

Nice picture, and everything is so neat and clean and organised.....LOL. We pour in the garage using a couple of presto pots as well as a gas burner for melting our wax. I would be embarresed to put a picture of our pouring area up as it more often than not looks like a war zone rather than a candle pouring room....LOL

Nice job on the candles and I hope they test well for you.

I would be embarresed to put a picture of our pouring area up as it more often than not looks like a war zone rather than a candle pouring room....LOL

Ain't that the truth!! I was so PROUD that I got my candle room all neatened up, more shelves up, everything organized and in its own place, drips scraped up, etc. Then we poured 3 times, and it's a war zone again!! I can keep up with it pretty well so long as I am only pouring one kind of wax & candle, but when we get palm & soy going, containers & pillars at the same time, we lose control. I also find that I am neater when pouring by myself, but when Jen & I rock & roll together - DANG but we can make one heckuva mess!! Then she goes back home & guess who gets to be the cleanup elf? :whistle:

We started out in the kitchen, but quickly found that there was no way we could be neat enough there and people wanting to eat kept getting in our way... I think the guys also got a little tired of their food vaguely tasting like the FO du jour...:lipsrseal We moved to the dining room (at that time there were 5 of us living in my little house) and that was slightly better, but it totally trashed the entire livingroom/dining room area. Thank goodness the other residents went their own ways so that now I don't have others infesting my studio!! :laugh2:

Hi Howard!!

Omg, run, run as fast as you can. Get away from these candles and don't look back. Your pocket book will thank you, especially if you live so close to a supply house. It will never be the same again!! This all true but if you can't, you'll be just like the rest of us.

What she means is that we are all so broke from this hobby/business that we have now started a box city for us to live and make our stuff in. But don't let her fool you ... some already have a 10 box house and are getting ready to add on another 5 boxes .... :laugh2: