what does a noobie need to know?

I just ordered my first candle making supplies. I've been doing soaps and decided as much as I love candles maybe I should try and make my own.

I ordered 100% soy wax, palm oil/coconut oil mix wax, 2 or 3 different sizes/types of wicks, clamshells for tarts, 4oz and 8oz jelly jars, and several different scents. I wanted to go natural for color so no colors as of right now.

What would be your #1 piece of advice for someone new to this??

Thanks!

brooke

Since you're starting out with soy wax you should go over to that section of the forum and read some info there. You will probably get more direct answers to your questions too.

Soy isn't the easiest wax to start off with but it can be very exciting when you get your first perfect candle. Mostly it takes a lot of practice, money, testing, money, etc., ad nauseum. But its also a lot of fun!

I love to give newbies some advices because I made some pretty big blunders and I know these tips would have helped me out. If you have a question post it in the veggie wax section. It's easier to get a direct answer than sort through hundreds of old posts. Don't worry if your questions been asked a hundred times before.

In addition to the supplies you listed invest in a heat gun. Every chandler should have one but especial those who work with soy. Soy tends to bubble, crack and sometime cauliflower on top. A heat gun is a simple stress free fix for a smooth top soy candle. Heat guns are also great for cleaning wax off your molds and equipment and for warming your jars or molds before pouring.

Never melt your wax over direct heat or in a microwave. Use the double boiler method or buy a presto pot. Or you can melt them in a pour pot over a electric griddle. Whatever electric device you use it has to have a temperature control. I usually set my to 200 to melt my wax.

Have plenty of paper towels on hand. Wipe your supplies clean. You can heat them in your oven set at warm to wipe clean. Never pour wax down your drain. In fact avoid your sink altogehter when cleaning your candle making equipment. (With the exception of your measuring glass for measuring your FOs. That you need soap and water to clean.)

Don't make food with candle making equipment. You may use your kitchen bowls, spoons, wisks, measuring spoons and cups etc. but once you use them for candle making don't go back to cooking with them. Designate certain tools for candle making and store them separate.

Here's a shopping list of things you may want to have on hand before you start:

Heat gun

A digital scale that weighs to the tenth of an ounce and has a tare function (a must have item!)

A thermometer. The cheapest is a glass candy one but I think the digital ones are best and you can get one under $10. However I love my themometer gun. It rocks! But it's about a $30 investment on ebay.

Paper towels

Bamboo skewers (you can get a bag of 100 for $1 they make great stir sticks)

Cookie sheet or baking pan with at least a inch lip on it. (Place your jars or molds in it before pouring and let the baking sheet and not your counters and floors catch your drips and spills. I learned that one the hard way)

An apron

A glass measuring cup that weighs liquid ounces.

A chemical wax remover for those uh oh moments.

A putty knife is great for scraping wax off any smooth surface (another must have)

Wax paper, kraft paper or foil to protect you work surface or floors (optional).

No. 1 rule of advice - Don't make candles in a room that's carpeted.

Cheers and have fun,:yay:

Jacqui

Edited by JacquiO

Thanks Jacqui. The only thing on your list that I don't have is a heat gun...amazing that I have everything else already! LOL

guess I need to figure out something to melt the wax in, too. I have a double boiler but it was just given to me as a birthday present last year so that I could make candies...so I better not use it for wax! LOL Hmmm...off to search for another option. I do have some old pots that I don't really use anymore (unless someone doesn't get around to doing dishes and I need a pot). Guess that will work for starting out.

Okay...just thinking out loud now! :)

The first step is to kiss all your disposable income, goodbye.

Second step is to read a bit.

Third step is to melt some wax and make some mistakes.

Fourth step is to come back here and figure out how to correct those mistakes.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you either achieve perfection or file bankruptcy... whichever comes first.

You won't have a clue what questions to ask, till you start screwing stuff up.

Remember:

If your first candle appears to have come out perfect, you've obviously made some horrible mistake. It will probably explode.

Thanks Jacqui. The only thing on your list that I don't have is a heat gun...amazing that I have everything else already! LOL

guess I need to figure out something to melt the wax in, too. I have a double boiler but it was just given to me as a birthday present last year so that I could make candies...so I better not use it for wax! LOL Hmmm...off to search for another option. I do have some old pots that I don't really use anymore (unless someone doesn't get around to doing dishes and I need a pot). Guess that will work for starting out.

Okay...just thinking out loud now! :)

Trust me you'll want a heat gun. You don't want to use brand new cooking equipment. Before my presto I used an old spaghetti pot the kind with the strainer pot inside a large stew pot for my double boiler. You can check out your local thrift shops for old pots to use. But for around $20 a presto pot is the best. The double boiler tends to steam up your work area. I modified my with a spigot and it makes a great melter but even without the spigot you can melt and pour into your pour pots or just place the pour pot in the presto and melt it that way.

Well I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up one of those melting pot things...the aluminum ones with the plastic handle that you do like a double boiler. I had a 40% off coupon.

It'll be good to get me started and then if I decide this is something I really want to pursue I'll make one of the spigot presto pots.

But one question...how do you get all the wax out of the spigot part?

But one question...how do you get all the wax out of the spigot part?

I've never had a problem with wax in the spigot. When my presto pot heats up the wax in the spigot does too. So far, no clogs or issues with my spigot at all.

My advice, start small. Don't over do it at first or you will get frustrated. Make one or two candles at first then go from there. You will probably want to tweak things and wax and FO's are expensive. The testing phase is expensive! Have fun.

I'm sorry....when I wrote this I was thinking of my big 60# tanks not my presto pot. The presto pot's spigot never get clogged.

okay...that's good to know. so the small amount of wax that is left in there from one batch won't mess up the next? because wouldn't the walls of the spigot have a little wax residue.