Discontinued Jars

Well, this is just par for the course. The mfg of my salsa jars discontinued that product 30 days ago. I just got an order for 9 cases and have no jars. The distributor didn't even offer a "sorry" or anything else. Fillmore has the jars but with shipping are double the price. Fortunately, I had exactly 9 cases of jars in my shop but this leaves me with no jars, 7 Christmas mugs and the season just beginning. Soooooo it will be a short season with maybe just a few sales here and there with soap and other candles. Just wanted to rant about how powerless it makes you feel when a necessary element of your business just gets taken away without even a thank you or kiss my ass. Thanks to all the suppliers who don't bother to give customers a heads up.

I know how you feel...I use the salsa jars also and found out recently that the supplier I get them from is no longer carrying them..:cry2:

I just ordered a sample of the salsa jar from Lonestar and I hope they are the same size as the other ones I used, the ones from Fillmore are not quite the same...ugh...I'm so over this...:waiting:

I started out with Fillmore with mine 12oz which is more like 9oz. The one I use is the shorter more round one. They also have the taller one that is not as round. Don't know how it compares to the one you were using. I also get the 9oz/7oz from them and the 16/15 oz. I had been getting the larger from probably the same place as you but since I was having the get the other from them I decided to try the larger from Fillmore. There again they have the 2 different types in the larger size. I use the black lid and the one I ordered does not give the black lid but I think the one from the other will fit, hope so! I think I am going to d/c the apothecary jar. Since UPS is going up the jars probably will also and the extra shipping. Also I like just the single wicking :cheesy2:

I just don't understand why the sudden decision to discontinue. My dw said, "maybe they were losing money".

It may not be that they were loosing money as much as they didn't have enough of a profit this year to continue buying somethings that took a long time to sell.

For example, they may have bought 2,400 each of 2 different style jars. One jar sold out in 3 months. The other jar took a year to sell off. If their budget were limited they would probably go with re-purchasing more of the one that sold the best.

Suppliers, including those of us that make items for sale, can not make a profit having our money tied up in unused inventory.

Or it could be the manufacturer went out of business. Or it could be that they are starting to shut down.

But it is disheartening when they don't let you know. At least I would expect a reason or referral to another supplier who would be carrying them.

Yup, the mfg has discontinued this container. My beef is with the supplier. A simple e-mail warning you that this item is being discontinued. It wouldn't have taken much effort for the supplier to say, "Sorry about this but you might try so and so to find some more jars". I mean, Christmas season and no jars. Well, that's enough about that subject.

Yup, the mfg has discontinued this container. My beef is with the supplier. A simple e-mail warning you that this item is being discontinued. It wouldn't have taken much effort for the supplier to say, "Sorry about this but you might try so and so to find some more jars". I mean, Christmas season and no jars. Well, that's enough about that subject.

I wish it were that simple. I work for a supply house and with all the customers we sell to plus the fact that it is busy season, there is no way we could possibly email every customer that ordered a specific item in the past say year and let them know we would not longer be carrying it. Often we don't find out an item is no longer available until we go to order it ourselves too. Sorry this happened but this is why I ALWAYS find product that I can back up in an emergency. It stinks but it's also wisest. :) Where are you located geographically? I am sure someone in your area may know who carries the jar as well....even if you can buy out the rest of the stock to get you through. :)

Well, I'd rather not say but the item stated temporarily out of stock and then had discontinued by mfg. I know the distributor can't e-mail you; although I get e-mails from other distributors that are having sales or want to sell me a new fo. This is not a jar that I would have thought to go under. Salsa? You kidding me? What are people gonna get their salsa in now....a mason jar? So it wasn't one of those hoidy toidy specialty jars that you expect to disappear. Sigh* The voice on the other end of the phone could have at least sounded sympathetic. I'm tired anyway from working every night so....Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

@Chuck...I have to agree with you...it would seem that a Salsa jar is a rather common jar to use. I would find it hard to believe that all the Salsa jars are being discontinued or there is only one distributor of that type of jar! :rolleyes2

Well luckily I do have most of my fragrances also tested in the 11oz tumblers and I like them better but I chose not to use them because finding some type of lid for them was a PITA!

I use Fillmore's 7.75 oz and 12 oz. straight-sided jars with lug lids. They don't call them salsa jars, but are they? If they are I'll be seriously POed since I JUST started using them in November. I checked Lone Star as someone mentioned above and those 12 oz. jars have a larger diameter than my 12 oz. jar so I'm hoping beyond hope that mine will be ok.

I'd love to continue ordering from Fillmore, too, since they're so close to me. I e-mailed them and asked if there was a chance my jars would be discontinued. Their customer service is great, but I'm prepared for a vague response, if I get one at all.

Re: the 7.75 oz and 12 oz. straight sided jars from Fillmore - here's the response I got from David Keyes at the company (who, btw, is incredibly nice and helpful!):

Colleen,

I checked on the future of the jars you mentioned below and they are not going anywhere. The manufacturer has a strong market for both jars and does not have any plans to discontinue. They are also good sellers for us and we will continue to stock them. No worries!

Thanks.

David G. Keyes

Fillmore Container Inc.

I wish I liked the Salsa jars from Fillmore but my labels just about fit on them because they are shorter then the other salsa jars. So I have to be dead on when I place the labels on or they hang over the edge and its not very attractive.:undecided Its always something...lol

I wish I liked the Salsa jars from Fillmore but my labels just about fit on them because they are shorter then the other salsa jars. So I have to be dead on when I place the labels on or they hang over the edge and its not very attractive.:undecided Its always something...lol

Me too :laugh2: Luckily I made jewelry for a few years so my hand is pretty steady...otherwise my jars would be a mess!

Linda I looked on the bottom of my box jars come in and the co that makes them is leonebottles.com. They have one that is 5" high and 3" diameter. This is the link to it - It is a 12oz jar.

http://www.leonebottles.com/catalog.dws?screen=2&level=3&cl=2&tp=5&id=457

Thanks Elaine...I went and checked them out, unfortunately they were just a little too tall...the dimensions of the salsa jar I use now is...

Height: 3.375"

Base Diameter: 3.25"

...and the ones from Fillmore are...

Height: 3.19 in.

Outside Diameter: 3.38 in.

...I know there is not much of a difference, I guess I'm just being anal about it...lol...but I really appreciate you keeping me in mind. :smiley2: