Test burn question?

Hi all. We always test for 1hr per inch of candle diameter, then do a power burn once we have established the proposed wick. Here is a big question: Most customers burn for an hour or 2, so in a container that should be burn't for 4 hours, they are burning for a much shorter time, thus they end up with a lot of wax left in the container? I can get all the wax consumed in the above testing methods, but if they burn as they do, then they could be very disappointed that their candle doesn't do the burn time as stated and there is wax left. I hate to wick to big, but if I do as the customer does, then I am safe with a bigger wick. This is totally against the grain, but is something that I am very concerned with.:( Any comments in this regard?

I make SURE the customers know that for the first burn (on our 8 oz. widemouth masons) they need to burn it for 3 hours. I explain that if they light it and snuff it too soon, they will NOT get proper performance out of the candle. If they want it to smell right & burn right for the longest total time, they are to burn it 3 hours at a time.

Having said that & explained why in simple terms, if the fools want to ignore the instructions, I can't help 'em, but I am SURE not gonna err in the direction of OVERwicking a candle because of their bad burning habits! In fact, I tend toward UNDERwicking the candle for safety reasons.

Without going to their house and burning the candle for them, you can only give instructions to customers and manufacture your candles to be burned in the manner you describe to them. Following instructions is strictly up to the consumer.

If you ignore the burning instructions on a YankMe candle and it tunnels, etc., whose fault is it and how guilty do you think the manufacturer feels? ;)

You can only do what you can do. You get the best burn you can when burning properly, then you torture test to make sure your jars aren't going to explode if they leave it burning for eight hours.

For every customer who only burns them for an hour or so, there will be one who burns them for 6 or 8 hours straight.

The people who burn for an hour aren't going to have safety issues. The ones who overburn may.

So if you wick up and someone burns that candle for 8 hours, is it going to still be safe and not crack the jar ?