How important is cure time?

Well I'm messing around with cb 135 and c-3. Ive been making candles all Thanksgiving day. Best thanksgiving ever! hehe I've made half the candles out of cb 135 and half out of c-3. Im trying out my new cdn wicks too.

How important is cure time? I've been buring after 24 hrs. Is that a reasonable time to wait, to test the hot throw? For those of you exp. with both of these waxes, which do you like better and why?

Thanks and I hope everyone ate lots of yummy turkey today :yay:

Here's the link to the CB-135 Manufacturer's CB Instructions page. http://www.ngiwax.com/products/usingecosoya/cbinstructions.html#cb_general

Under General Instructions is says: "Test Burn: Now check wicking. Test burn the candle for burn pool diameter and “mushrooming” after it has setup (cured or dried) for 48 hours." Keep in mind some oils will take a longer cure time ~ sometimes up to 7-10 days! I do a test burn at 2, 4, 5 and 7 days. I sell my candles and usually will only keep the oils that have a 5 day or less cure.

A few of the chandlers who sell their candles will not use an oil if it does not cure in 2 days.

Someone will probably chime in with their C-3 information.

HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC

Pixie, I know it's hard, I've made 6 candles, 4 last night and 2 this morning, I got up at 5:00am:laugh2::laugh2:go eat some more turkey, in the morning cap your jars go black Friday shopping and Saturday burn your heart out:laugh2::laugh2:I'll be with ya in spirit. Let me know how it goes.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Linda

Judy, That's funny you and I were probably posting at the same time. I used the 135 and coconut wax (not to be confused with CO) and also a ecosoya advanced and coconut wax and 415 and CW, 6 jars total 2 of ea.

I will be waiting with Pixie (to burn)LOL,:laugh2: Lifes tough, Candles are even tougher.:laugh2:

How important is cure time? I've been buring after 24 hrs. Is that a reasonable time to wait, to test the hot throw?

I use NatureWax C3. I wait a minimum of 48 hours to test. Normally, it takes me about 5-7 days to get around to testing hot throw. Some FOs throw great from the get-go; others can take a week or more to cure and develop in the wax (ambers, patchouli & one nag champa come immediately to mind). It just depends on how long you want to wait. I used to test 48 hours after pouring but found that some FOs I was writing off simply needed longer to cure well.

Example: I recently panned a new nag champa one of my favorite suppliers is carrying. Their old nag was wonderful after 48 hours. After letting the candles sit unloved, scorned and ignored for a couple of weeks, the FO developed into a very pleasing, more complex nag champa - different slightly, but very pleasing nonetheless, so I hereby retract my earlier comments about it smelling like dirty indian feet! :embarasse :laugh2:I'll still keep looking for one more like the original I liked that had a much shorter curing time, but in the meantime, this one will just have to be poured a couple of weeks in advance.

I've been using CB135 for about 3 years now and found that most FOs will cure in the wax and give you a good hot throw after 24-48 hours. There are actually quite a few that you can burn the next day after letting them cure overnight.

But there are also some that take 2-4 weeks to cure; eg., cinnamon and cedar FOs, some apples, etc.

As a general rule I wait at least a week to test. If I don't get a good cold throw from a fragrance I give it another week or two before testing. Some oils just take longer to cure in soy.

For the most part I try to use only oils that cure within a couple of days and consequently only have one or two that take longer. I do this because when you have to make candles quickly to sell them or a special order I don't want a customer to have to wait several weeks for a candle order to cure.