My first Feathered Palm Pillars

nadiap

My work is no-where near the class of some of the other photos I've seen here, (I'm only a newbie :-) but after a disastrous day of container candle testing, thought I'd at least show what did turn out well for me - or at least I think they look ok <lol> The 'tubby pillar does have a little spillage (over-run - not sure what you'd call it) at the bottom, but I don't think it gives it a 'bad look' (or at least I hope not).

Using Feathered Palm Wax

FO is Holly Berry and the colour should have been darker, but I can live with what I have. Also a pics of the matching small pillar and votives. I had set up a display for taking other photos, so threw these into the shots to dress them up a little :-)

Are they looking Ok, to you experts out there ??

post-11497-139458459541_thumb.jpg

post-11497-139458459545_thumb.jpg

post-11497-139458459547_thumb.jpg

Edited by nadiap

Lovely! You've done well. Palm is such a beautiful wax to work with.

What I do with that little bit of 'spillage" is put my heat gun on the lowest setting and hold the candle straight and melt that little bit of excess wax off....carefully!

Not sure what everyone else does about that but I prefer that it's not there.

Tracy

I was thinking of doing that, but didn't want to bugger up the whole candle if something went awry :-) I'm presuming I'd lose some of the 'feathering at the bottom if I did that though - right? or as long as it was a gentle sweep of the heat gun it shouldn't affect it too much ?

PS: Love your work btw :-)

Those candles are just stunning! One of these days I'd lov to make a jar candle in the feather palm.....And your display is absolutely beautiful, especially the last picture. Try setting your camera to macro just to tweek it a bit to make it sharp...Gorgeous job and that peach color I just love!!!

Trappeur

Feather palm is just so nice to work with. Great candles especially considering that its your first batch of pillars etc. Display looks awesome also.

Trapp

Feather palm in containers works ok, except for the rattling around :) I am still trying to work out how to make one of our cow pillars into a cow container...LOL. Will definitely experiment when I have some free time I think.

Those candles are just stunning! One of these days I'd lov to make a jar candle in the feather palm.....And your display is absolutely beautiful, especially the last picture. Try setting your camera to macro just to tweek it a bit to make it sharp...Gorgeous job and that peach color I just love!!!

Trappeur

I have tried making them..the scent throw is awesome..but for me wicking them was a bugger! I finally got them "wicked" but I didn't like how hot the jar got. I used the metro jars and CDN 12..14 depending on fo.

Kimmer:smiley2:

You don't lose the feathering pattern if you melt that wax off but it EVER so slightly blurs the pattern. I guess because there is still a very fine layer of wax left over the top of the surface due to melting it. Barely noticable though and way less obvious than the spill itself. You just have to be careful and keep turning the candle in your hand so you don't put too much heat in one spot causing it to melt TOO much away.

A few of my Christmas pillars had spill that was really significant - reached about a third of the way up the candle and I thought darn it, I'm not pouring those AGAIN. This is when I discovered that the heat gun could save it. I had initially tried carefully scraping it off with a sharp knife but this looked even more noticable than using the heat gun.

Thank you for your kind comments about our candles.

I'll add too that the way you have displayed yours looks great!

Tracy

You don't lose the feathering pattern if you melt that wax off but it EVER so slightly blurs the pattern. I guess because there is still a very fine layer of wax left over the top of the surface due to melting it. Barely noticable though and way less obvious than the spill itself.

I used the heat gun on it last and yes, it removed that 'spillage' at the bottom without any problems. :-)

Thanks for your kind words everyone - very welcome after the disappointments of testing other candles yesterday... you made my day :-)

I think I"ll try them next using FO Mistletoe and colour: Bayberry. Have to get myself another size mould, the taller slimmer ones are the ones I like, but my supplier doesn't have any of the 'concave ones in stock right now - so may have to wait.

Again, thank you !

Just beautiful

ACS have them in stock i think and they only carry concave maybe try there

Thanks Tammy !

I have an order sitting in their cart right now - they look like they have some different Chrissy fragrances that I want to try - so I'll add the moulds to the list as well.

ps; have you started testing the mised advanced and 135 yet? I'm about to start testing the new batch in the honey jars without the CO :-) but that's another thread :)