Spray paint inside a container?

We have thirty two lots of wire baskets each containing six blue enamel containers/tins.

I hate the blue (sort of an aqua blue so it's not even a "country" blue.) colour of the tins but it was Richards idea that we use these to make some container candles in.

I've contemplated spray painting (or grungy-ing) the enamel tins a more "rustic" colour but really I'd need to spray paint the inside of each as well.

I'm reluctant to do this as I'm wondering whether the spray paint might leach out into the wax as it's burning and I don't want to create a toxic candle!

Do you think it would?

How do they colour enamel tins/mugs anyway?

I'll post a pic up tomorrow.

I've got to come up with a use for them somehow - even if it's not candle related!

Tracy

Thanks Steve. Yeah the inside I'm concerned about what with the possibility of fumes or just the paint leeching into the wax itself.

We cover our rustic christmas tins - the outside, with a fine coating of brown spray paint before I do the grungying with craft glue and spices. This holds up fine on the outside with these.

I may have to design a big craft label to go on the outside of these new tins and just hope that the blue on the inside is not too garish.

Tracy

My opinion Tracy......I wouldn't paint the inside but leave it alone even if I was told it should be no problem....To me that is just too much of a risk to take....but that's just me...and I'll bet no one will even notice the inside.:)

Trappeur

Here's what these things look like.

All came in that kacky yellow green coloured basket so I tried painting the basket a reddish brown, and I prefer that look.

Perhaps if as I said we put a big wide craft brown label on the tins?

I don't know....Darn things! I've got boxes and boxes of them in the garage taking up space!

If anyone can think of anything else to do with them.........even if it's not to put candles in, I'd be grateful :)

Tracy

Just thinking out loud, here.

You could grunge up the outside. Maybe some rust colored paint?

Then grungy up the baskets. Maybe add the seashells, too. Give the idea of something you found on the beach ?

If you could dig up a picture of an old country house on the sea shore to put near them, it could tie these together with your other products.

Might find something, here. I saw a couple og old lighthouses... not sure what else is there.

Thanks for the ideas Dustpuppy. Yeah, I can "see" seashells actually on the baskets themselves..... Would be a different look from the rest of our stuff. I never think of the country by the sea but down south here we have gorgeous country side that meets the ocean.

I'll mull it over, try a few different things and see what happens.

Glad that the reaction to the blue is not overwhelmingly negative though.

I think the craft label and incorporating some of that blue in it is a good idea too Nancy.

Thanks!

Tracy

I am not the most creative person in the world...but...what popped into my mind was to grunge the outside and maybe put some wax crumbles or tarts for the warmers and sell them that way...I really don't think anyone would even care what the inside looks like..but if you do it this way you can paint the inside! I really think they would look awesome all grunged up! maybe sell a warmer w/it as a gift basket! Just a thought!

Good Luck! Kim

Wish we did have Walmart though!

Tracy

Actually you don't. They tend to destroy the local economy in every area they go into.

As for the country by the sea thing... I'm not sure what you have down there. I was kinda thinking you could arrange your display so that these would be on the end. And try to put something in between to tie them together with your regular line.

Or you could put them all front and center... kind of spotlight them. Maybe capitalize on them being different.

I been racking my brain... I once saw a pic of a rundown cattle station, near the coast. I think it was on the west coast. Around Broome, maybe?

I must have seen a hundred photos of the kind of places I was thinking of. Can't find a damned one of them now.

Why not carry on with the 'cow' / 'farm' feel. Fill the inside with straw like material and place your tarts or any other 'smelly' type of products in there (potpourri or similar) in there.

Reason I say that is because I too see a 'milk bottle' connection with those baskets :-) Goes back to the old school days (and I'm talking years and years ago here!) when they supplied us with bottles of milk and carried them around in those type of baskets :-)

If only we could make cow melts! (Like the pillar cow candles we've been making!) Yeah! those would look great with the blue I reckon.

Ok....cows....sea theme, just plain wax tarts....The options are growing.

Now, if this 42 degree heat would just disappear maybe I could think straight! :(

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Appreciate it!

Tracy