I wish I were a Chemist....

Ok, so I got my order from Bert's of Candy Cane. FO. I made tarts and candles. Burned the tart yesterday and WOW!!!! It is amazing, I could smell it throughout my entire house. It smells soooooo good! :yay:. Not too peperminty, kinda creamy. Just like a candy cane.

So I let the candle cure for 2 days....and I am still getting that awful fuel smell!!!! I used GB 444, with 1 tsp pp USA, 1 oz FO PP, CDN wick #10, with 7.5 oz Maddison jar. I am stumped. Please Help! I know its not the FO! :confused:

My son wants to be a Chemist when he grows up, maybe he'll figure this stuff out for me in my later years.......He's only 9 now, so I've got a while.

I use Berts CC in soy. No fuel smell.. I just got 6 lbs of it and it's burning fine..

I am using 1.25 oz/pp, straight soy. No additives, CD 14 in an 8oz JJ.. HTH

Maybe try a different wick and no additives..:confused:

Have someone else test it.. Maybe it's your nose..

I can't even smell some of my strongest scents right now due to candle nose from pouring so much... So maybe your nose is off..:smiley2:

Stella,

The jar is 2.75" in Diameter.....I thought of wicking up. I'll try that next. Maybe more cure time to let each component of the oil saturate the wax??? Just guessing...

I've heard it helps to add vanilla, but it already has some notes of vanilla that are very nice OOB and when burning tarts.

Good Idea......I'll have a neighbor burn it. I am starting to smell a little candy cane, but it's so overpowered by the fuel smell.

Last year when I tried this I was using 402, medium cotton wick and no additives and had same problem. Can't remember what jar I used though?? I think a JJ but not 100%.

Maybe its just me, I have a super strong sniffer. I'm burning MAC apple in my sons room and it is FABULOUS!!! Only cured 24 hours.

the fuel smell

Just a random thought... are you using any dye? Could this be a reaction that happens when the stuff actually burns (not just heated...)? Might need more heat to burn the stuff off, or less... Have you tried a CDN 8? Test it out both ways, but give your nose a chance to rest before testing... ;)

Same here for me.....just test burned my candle with berts CC using IGI6006 ....1oz fo to a lb wax ....small 4oz hex jar with 2 inch diameter top and no dye....waited about 5 days for it to cure. also used a cd # 5 wick and another one a htp 41....no luck :( oh and also a votive with an htp41...same thing...yucky fuel smell

My tarts smelled beautiful also soylights....what a great scent this is....for tarts and sprays I had no problems. A perfect not too overpowering peppermint and I was so sure it would work but nada.

I have an order coming today from Rustic essentals and am getting 2 free 1oz fo samples which one of them I picked the candy cane...it claims on the website that it throws great in soy....but who knows....I'm about ready to give up on making candy cane candles and thought it would be a great xmas scent.....well at least the tarts smell good but not everyone likes using those burners...some just like candles.

I'll let you know in a few days of curing on the sample....I have a little bit of palm wax, I may try doing a palm wax candle and see how that goes.

What I really really loved from Berts and it throws great in the 6006 is the Dark chocolate mint....don't smell much mint(mostly chocolate) but yummmmm does it smell great :)

Great info!! I think I do need to wick up....the 10 still hasn't reached FMP and is started to tunnel. Unfortunately I didn't order any #8's....so if the 12 doesn't work, I'll order some #8's to see if that will do the trick.

I don't use any dye in my candles or tarts so it's not that....but thanks for trying:sad2:

The MAC apple I am burning is just wonderful....using a 10, nice small flame, great throw....just now reaching FMP and burning beautifully.

Dnj,

I may just have to sell tarts in Candy cane for now or wickless candles until I get this figured out. I am determined. It's just a great scent for Christmas....the kids LOVE IT!!!

I can't wait to hear of your results. I wonder why some of us are having problems but some report great HT?? Doesn't make sense. Maybe its just our sniffers???

I wish it were just my sniffer soylights but everyone else here said the same thing....ewwww that smells nasty! lol

I'm really crossing my fingers the cc from RE is a winner.....will let you know within the next week...I want to try and be patient and let it cure for as long as possible :)

until then...it's tarts and Room and linen sprays for me

Maybe try using half the amount in the candle and see how it smells. Some of the fragrance notes in that FO are pretty strong and might get overwhelming.

I would also be suspicious of how the cande is burning. Your wax has a higher melt point than 464 and already contains USA, so you really may not need to add any more. That might make the candle burn more down the middle and give you a taller flame. Wick clogging and mushrooms can give off a bad smell with some fragrances.

Doggonit.....just placed on order with JBN. Oh well. I have a craft show this weekend so hopefully I do well there and can place another order on Monday so I can get the sample pack.

I did notice that as it burned the fuel smell got better. So maybe I should just use less and add some vanilla. Anyone have any idea how much vanilla to add?? Also is there a certain vanilla people use for mixing. There are sooo many vanilla scents, I wouldn't know where to start. :confused: Here are my options:

Mexican Vanilla-JBN

Creme Brule-JBN

Old Fashion Sugar Cookies-Bert's

French Vanilla-Bert's

Vanilla Bomb-Just Scents

I wouldn't rush to modify the fragrance. Maybe make a tester with 1/2 or 3/4 the FO and another without the extra USA in it. Islandgirl mentioned trying it without additive and that sounds reasonable to me. I'm worried about what effect that extra USA is having when your wax already contains USA out of the box. It can harden the wax too much and change the burn considerably.

Try making those two testers and see what results you get. I wouldn't play with the wicking until you know which version of the candle smells best, then adjust the wicking for that one. Changing the FO or additive could affect what wick you need.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I have a few scents that are awful, they smell great when heating, and also cold throw. When I burn them they are like fuel. I'm using ecoysoya cb and pb and both are bad. I tried using coconut oil and it didn't make a difference, then I tried cutting the amount of fragrance and it still smells awful! I am referring to cinnamon stick, and holiday memories. Amish Harvest has no hot throw at all. Very disappointing. I've been ordering from Just Scent. Jeanne

I also have this issue with cinnamon stix and some citrus FO's. The only FO that didn't burn this way was one from Candlewealth. When I first started making candles back in 2006, I joined through them and realized soon after that their prices were crazy, but their FO's were really really nice. Very pure and strong. Their Candy Cane was wonderful and never smelled of fuel. I could use any wax, wick, and it didn't matter. I LOVE Bert's Oils, but for some reason this one has that nasty smell when burned with a flame, but like I mentioned earlier it smells fantastic in my tart burner.

I am going to try everything that was advised on the board once I buy more wax. Hopefully I can figure this out.

I test burned my tester this morning.

Good news and bad news for me....no fuel smell on these! lol

bad news....not much CT or HT and it really doesn't smell much like a nice pepperminty candy cane scent....has almost a coconut smell :rolleyes2

I used 6006 in a 2 oz and a 6 oz tin. HTp 41 in the 2oz and cd 6 in the 6 oz...they burned well...not too high a flame or anything but dissapointed that I didnt get that peppermint scent I had hoped for.

Going to try Berts again and use less fo as suggested. I have some 6006 wax, glassglow palm wax and also 464.....

back to the drawing board!