Shelf Life of GB464 Container Candles

I am getting ready to crank out some Christmas candles, and will probably do some more fall scents as well, since people still want them. If I happen to have some left over (let's hope not), will they still be in good shape for the following year? I'm using square jars with a coated cardboard insert on the top, if that makes any difference.

Sorry if this has been addressed--I searched and didn't find any answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Was wondering the same thing. I searched for it as well. I am also wondering about FO's too. I have heard it's a year, and I've also heard that they don't go bad.:confused: I have so many that are 2 or 3 years old and don't know if I should just pitch them??

In my experience, our candles smell awesome after a year. Especially those that have lids. Tarts are the same as long as they are sealed. I notice if I burn an old tart from last year that was left out (just in baggie, or not in baggie at all) it has little to no scent throw, but if I burn a tart that has been in its baggie and in a sealed bin...the throw is awesome! :smiley2:So maybe as long as they are sealed or have a lid...they will be ok...not 100% sure though.

Candles in general don't go bad for a long time. The scent isn't going to fade in a year.

With straight soy candles there's a good chance of seeing some changes in the wax over the course of a year. There could be cosmetic issues like fading or mottling of the color as the wax continues to frost. It's also not unusual for the volume of the wax to increase, so leave an ample length of wick sticking out so it doesn't get swallowed.

Different fragrances and dyes can have different effects on what happens to the wax over time. Storage conditions will affect it too. But generally the candles should work fine in a year even if they look different.

I've heard people say that they've had candles sitting around for a couple of years, that smelled as good as when they were a week old. Some claim that they smell even better.

That was with paraffin, as I recall, so YMMV.

The thing about FOs going bad is when they're in the bottle. Most folks say they have a shelf life of around a year. Some might last longer. A year is just the rule of thumb I've always heard.

Like bread or milk, it's not going to go bad, exactly on the expiration date.

i make soy candles..i don't color anymore..and like top said..you can see some changes in them after a year or 2..

yes i have some that i found 2 yrs later stuck under the bed or in a closet...and they still smell as good or better than when i made them..

what i have knowticed is that sometimes, but not always the top can get a little motled..or puffy looking, but i just take the heat gun to the top, for just a few seconds...and they look good as new..

i have not found one yet that has went bad..:)

I haven't had any soy candles go bad cosmetically yet but I did find some interesting ones, smell-wise, on a back shelf a few days ago. They were fragranced Winter Blast and half of them smelled as good as the day they were poured while the other half smelled like old, gone-bad Crisco. Nothing like bad vegetable shortening, huh?

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like I'll be OK, generally speaking, if I have some left after the holidays. I'm not making that many this year since I'm just starting the business, and I'm testing every fo/wick combo before I make more to sell. I don't use any dye, so maybe if color changes occur they won't be noticeable. I'll hope for the best with the smell...Farmer Jill, that's weird about the gone-off Crisco smell! Nice. I was wondering since soy is a food product, more or less.....I imagined exactly that--a funky, spoiled smell. :(

BTW Andy, I do cure my candles for 7 days before burning.....I know you were kidding (or not?) about 464 needing a long cure time. In your experience, should I go longer than that? (I know...that's a different thread...just this one quick question O Great Moderator! :cheesy2:)

Thanks~~

Terri