Uncut Logs of soap

vberkesch

Hi there,

I've noticed some of you have pictures posted of your uncut logs of soap at fairs or whatever.

Can you leave your soap logs uncut? Will it not be hard to cut the log after a time, because the longer it sits the harder it gets??

Do some of you sell your soap uncut?

Thank you much, Vanessa

I think it would depend greatly on the recipe used , most of my recipes wouldn't work for that , i also wonder about damage from heat and fingers etc . I just sell cut bars .( cutting soap straight is the bane of my existence , I would be a nervous wreck if people where watching me *shudder* ) :smiley2:

I have competitor that has logs with one bar cut off and displayed together. They are only for display and I have noticed that as the season wears on the logs are looking a bit shopworn in my humble opinion.

I personally do not have room on my display for a full log although I think it would help with customers realizing that I actually make the soap. Might have to think about how I could include at least one log. Hmmm.

I sell my soap cut to order by the inch. They do not get shop worn as they sell so fast. Displaying soap in a log is a good marketing tool. It has brought countless people to my booths at farmers market and fairs.

I sell my soap for $6 per inch or 3 for $17.

My soap is HP. I've never had a problem not being able to cut the bars. Even with my CP soap logs that have been sitting for 6 months - no problem cutting to order.

My husband made me a soap cutter that looks like a miter box. Easy as pie. Perfect cuts every time.

Edited by Wildcrafter

I tried one year putting a lot of M&P I had made and had it wrapped in butcher paper just to transport it. Then when I got to the market I had it unwrapped and listed that it could but cut to any size but listed a price of $4.00 for a 4 oz piece. It didn't go over at all and everyone ended up buying my cut and wrapped pieces. Maybe if I'd done all of them uncut it might have worked but people just couldn't figure it out. I think it really depends where you are selling as well.

Personally I think it looks really cool when I've seen other vendors do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I never sell them uncut. I do know someone that does very well selling her loaves online.

I think she uses CPOP to do it because she seems to make a lot of loaves. It leads me to believe she isn't curing them.

I bought one once because they are beautiful and nice soap but I cut as soon as I got it and the bars had to sit. It was still pretty soft.

I'm guessing there is an online market for loaves especially with the economy in the tank- people want their money to go further.

I was thinking about trying to sell mini cp loaves- I have a good mold for it. :)

I don't think I would cut at a fair in front of people- my cutting skills are bad too- LOL.

Even CP soap logs will be softer when cut months after being made because of the nature of the lack of oxygen hitting the soap in the inside portion of the logs causing the soap to stay softer. A log will act differently than a cut bar. I don't, in my experience, think it has anything to do with the soap not being cured.

Yeah I understand that it just seems overly soft, if you know what I mean.

Also, its advertised all my loaves are made fresh when ordered, so that led me to believe it isn't going through a full cure.

It's good soap regardless, but just wondering how she can pop out loaves that fast.

Not meaning any disrespect or trouble, if this woman's soap is HP, then the soap is fully saponified in an hour in the oven or crock pot if that's what she uses and the mold is simply to give the soap it's shape. I think there is a difference in opinion between the definition of "cure" and "saponification" on many soap forums.

I can make someone soap in the morning and it is perfectly saponified, meaning no free lye in the soap and ready to give to them in the evening. That is fresh to order.

Soft is one thing, saponified is another.

Edited by Wildcrafter

I have a local shop that has been carrying some of my stuff and she did request a few logs, which I made for her and gave her with a miter box, cutter, and small scale, they are doing OK, but not moving as fast as Jen thought they would. Cutting has not been an issue for her.

e

Not meaning any disrespect or trouble, if this woman's soap is HP, then the soap is fully saponified in an hour in the oven or crock pot if that's what she uses and the mold is simply to give the soap it's shape. I think there is a difference in opinion between the definition of "cure" and "saponification" on many soap forums.

I can make someone soap in the morning and it is perfectly saponified, meaning no free lye in the soap and ready to give to them in the evening. That is fresh to order.

Soft is one thing, saponified is another.

I agree with you there. Granted I have never exactly asked her but I'm assuming that it is cpop or a version of it. On her webpage, she says all my soaps are made cp which kind of threw me and I had to try it. It was soft and melted away quick. It was fully saponified just soft because it hadn't been left to sit.

Is there really a difference in opinion on curing and saponification on different forums? They are two different things at least that's what I think from too many soapy years. Weird...

I didn't think you were disrespecting or anything. :cheesy2:

I always thought that your recipe would have a lot todo with keeping your log softer for a longer period of time. I'm always cutting my soaps within a day or two because of the fear of them getting too hard to cut. Would love to know how you can keep them for up to a month without cutting......for craft fairs, etc.

I use olive oil, palm and coconut oils as my base. Other fixed oils and things get thrown in depending on the particular soap I'm making. You can look on my website and see them. Not thrilled with the pictures in my store, but that's another subject.

Edited by Wildcrafter

Is there really a difference in opinion on curing and saponification on different forums? They are two different things at least that's what I think from too many soapy years. Weird...

Not different forums having different opinions. Different people within the forums. I've seen threads where it sounded like people are thinking curing means saponification.

I do CPOP but didn't know that is is considered HP. I agree with Wildcrafter that as long as your soap has saponified it is safe to use. I do mine in a mold that has dividers , but I still let them sit at least 2 weeks just to let them get harder. I don't like the feel of soft soap.

I do like the display of logs and I saw Wildcrafters display when she posted about being on her local TV station. Her display looks fantastic and would draw most people to her table just to look at all her soaps.