How to minimize spillage when pouring into portion cups

joanncat18

Never used the portion cups but considering it. How do you guys pour without spilling? I usually overflow my 1 oz scallop tart molds a bit because I hate the look when they aren't full all the way...then I just peel the excess off the wax paper and melt it in my own warmer. I wouldn't want to pour and overflow a portion cup for obvious reasons.

you dont want to completely fill the portion cup as you need room for the lid to sit down in correctly. i tend to fill my 2 ounce cups just above 3/4 full. it took a little bit of time to get it down lol i just pour slow and still every once in awhile i still overflow.

I'm discovering that that is the trick.....not to have too much wax in whatever vessel you are pouring with.

Today I used very small recycled tins - of course thoroughly washed (May have contained tinned mushrooms) that I squished to make a spout and that worked perfectly for pouring red white and green very small hearts and stars.

To pour into small molds and tealight cups I have two kitchen tools that come in handy. One is a small stainless steel tea pot. Like the ones that hold hot water in restaurants when you order tea. I got a couple at a local restaurant supply store. The other is a stainless steel creamer. I find them usually at yard sales or flea markets. Both can be wiped clean after being placed on a hot plate.

So if you want 1 oz tarts...then you would have to go with the 2 oz ones since you probably wouldn't be able to fill the 1 oz up enough??

I use the 1oz. oval cups and fill them just to the edge so the lid will still snap on. If you spill or fill too full it won't close. Not sure which ones you want to use or how you want to market them. I used to use the cups from Sams Club that were 2oz. and they held about 1.5oz wax. These 1oz cups hold about 0.9oz, but then again I'm using a different type of wax than I was before.

I use 8oz. paper coffee cups from Sams, mix wax scent and color in them and pinch the edge to pour. You have to make sure you get the cups for hot beverages, ask me how I know:)

I do the same thing. I buy paper coffee cups at Krogers and I mix my scents in different cups and then just squeeze a bit to get a pour spout. I sit my portion cups on aluminum foil while pouring so I don't get a mess on the counter.