Please help! I'm desperate!!

I am a newbie and just made a batch of candles to give away as Christmas gifts. I have had several burn without major incident until I burned one today and the wicks keep drowning in their 2" melt pool!! Hopefully it is just this scent and not all of the candles are ruined, but I need to get this corrected before Christmas! HELP!!!!

Wax: GB 464

Wick: Double wicked 51-32-18 zinc

Container: 16oz Apothecary jar

I also have CD 20 wicks... would these work better or should I order new ones??

ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!!!

We often get these posts at this time of year. People seldom listen when we tell them the truth, so I don't have a lot of hope -- but here goes:

I very much understand your desire and intentions, but as a newbie you shouldn't be thinking about making candles as Christmas gifts. You can't expect to just develop a line of scents out of the blue, let alone with just a few odd wicks in your posession. In fact, you don't have enough time to both gain enough candlemaking experience or properly test anything to sell or give away this year.

So the reason you feel desperate is because you are doing the wrong thing. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and go out and buy some candles. I guarantee it will end up being so much easier and safer and more satisfying for everyone. Look forward to giving out your very own creations next Christmas.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

People make all kinds of crafts at Christmas. In fact, they sell candlemaking kits at many craft stores, so I respectfully disagree with Top's statement. I actually commend ashleylynn8888 for seeking out a candle forum, looking for advice from professionals in an attempt to make a safer, better candle for gift-giving.

I was never completely happy with the burn on got on my apothecaries, so I can't give you much guidance there. You can always try the other wicks you might have, but the best bet might be to order some additional ones to try. Here's some suggestions from the Wax and Wick Suggestions in the Archives:

16 oz:

J223 wax - 51zinc wick

J223 wax - (two) HTP-104 wicks

J223 wax - (two) HTP-83 wicks

ECO 135 wax - ECO 12 wick

no wax listed - (two) 51-32-18z wicks

Here's another thread discussing wicking those bad boys, and you'll find some additional suggestions at the bottom of the page. Let us know how it pans out -- and welcome to CT :)

The only wicks I have are the CD 20's and the 51-32-18's... Maybe I will see how they do with a single wick. I have not tried that in the soy, but it didn't work well with the paraffin that I used before. :confused:

Try 2 CD 12's then go from there..if the glass gets too hot go down in size..but I would def. double wick this jar.

This chart may come in handy, it does for me..

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html#eco

Kim :smiley2:

I respect Sara's opinion and I'm not trying to discourage you from candlemaking, but I think you should enjoy the holidays. There's just not that much time left and I can easily imagine your stressing out over the next month to get these candles burning right. A lot of people have this idea without realizing how much trial and error can be involved, so it becomes a rush to get it done.

If you still want to do it, keep the number of fragrances limited. If you're having trouble with one, just drop it for now. And remember that the candles can burn very differently at the bottom of the jar than at the top. If you think a wick looks correct, make sure to burn the candle for 3 or 4 hours at a time until you get to the bottom, to make sure your recipients won't end up with a black jar.

Ashleylynn

We make mainly apothecary jars using a soy / palm blend. We find that most scents work very well single wicked with a CDN 22 and some of the heavier scents we go up to a CDN 24.

Generally I dont double wick for two reasons. 1) I am inherently lazy and 2) I dont really like the look.

We generally do 10 oz apothecary jars although have done the 16 oz from time to time. You do still have some time to pour and test, although I would really limit yourself to only 2 or 3 scents at most. Pour each scent using your wick of choice and then burn #completely# right to the bottom of the jar. Ensure that the sides of the jar self clean as the candle burns down and that you dont get any sooting around the top rim of the jar.

Some soot may be acceptable, although that depends on yourself. Personally I dont like it and if I get any visible sooting at all, I will try a different wick until I do get a clean burn.

A 16 oz apothecary is going to burn for somewhere around 60 - 80 hours depending on scent, so you sure have a bit of testing to do.

As I said you do have the time to go ahead and make something nice for Christmas. Be patient, limit your scent selection, select your wicks carefully and test test test until you are happy.

HTH

You could also make tarts, those are easy and no wicks required. You could go to the dollar stores etc and find some cute christmas tree silicone molds and make tree tarts or any other shape.

I think you still have time to work out issues you have with your candles if you get new wicks and try to make one scent and give that out as your gift. Don't stress over too many fo's in the beginning. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by TexasBrat

I appreciate all of the suggestions and encouragement!

I have been working with/testing my candles for 3 1/2 months and just got hung-up on this one particular new scent (iced cinnamon rolls) that I was hoping to give as a gift because I love it. So I did not just decide to do this last week and have it all go downhill... I have had many candles turn out perfectly in this time, so I will just stick with what I know while I am still learning and testing. Everyone has to start somewhere...

Thanks again for the SUPPORTIVE comments! :D

It's taken me almost the better part of 3 years to get to where I'm at now and I still have issues that I need to resolve with my candles, it is always on going testing, so just have a little patience and hang in there becasue you will always hit the wall with a certain fragrance or wick or jar or....well you get the idea. This forum is the best place for a noob to research and learn...enjoy the journey! :)

You could also just go with wickless for now and give them a wickless candle and a little warmer as a gift set.

Nice suggestion! You could use this particular scent for wickless jars. If you're just giving to family as Christmas gifts you could just yank the wicks out and heat gun the tops. It'll save you a lot of headache until you get this scent wicked correctly. Good luck!

Another, easier route is to start with votives. Because they are smaller, the testing process is less time-consuming than large jars. I know jars are popular in the stores, but they are a beast that some of the best of us just don't want to tackle, or are never quite satisfied with. Votives can scent a house beautifully and make nice gifts. Just a thought.

Edited by Sara

Another, easier route is to start with votives. Because they are smaller, the testing process is less time-consuming than large jars. I know jars are popular in the stores, but they are a beast that some of the best of us just don't want to tackle, or are never quite satisfied with. Votives can scent a house beautifully and make nice gifts. Just a thought.

I would have thought they would be hard to do, votives that is. I'm not having too bad of luck with containers so far myself.

Well, that's just me. Since they're smaller, the cool faster and burn faster (for testing). I was thinking for gift-giving, they might work better for the OP than the big jars.

ETA - Nah, don't throw in the towel yet. Maybe your gift-giving will inspire you to continue. :)

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Edited by Sara

I think sometimes when you do come up with a combo that works and is acceptable at least for starters, you have a tendency to try to make it even better because you got this far. Yes, that is good, however when you are fairly new at making candles, this approach can really mess you up, stress out you and everyone else around you. You end up with 555 different useless wicks, pounds of wasted wax and FO's, etc. Your best bet is to stick with what first worked and then back down a bit and make some wickless as suggested. Then go back and try another approach to better improve your candle that first worked. I learned the hard way and I've only been doing this for around a year.

Jeez, thanks for the encouragement, topofmurryhill...

Don't be discouraged ashleylynn.. I have only recently joined this forum as well as the hobby of candlemaking. I do it as a hobby and I am enjoying it thus far. Since the day I joined, I have looked through many many threads trying to get as much info as I can (with the intention of some day giving some helpful info in return) and I too have noticed that sometimes ppl can come off a bit harsh... (perhaps not intentionally)

My advice is to take away what you can from those posts that do HELP you.. after all that is the purpose of this forum... there are alot of ppl that are willing to help you here and they have a ton of experience..while others have a ton of experience but a lack of tactfulness or the inability to filter what they want to say before it comes out the wrong way. I think some folks are rude and don't even realize it... so learn what you can from these awesome folks but have fun doing it.. what good is a hobby if you're stressing right? enjoy! I hope it all works out for you!!!:rolleyes2 big hugs!

And some people state things simply and clearly.

If you were referring to Top - well I think he's pretty self-aware. And gave reasonable advice - and wasn't trying to discourage you but to advise you to learn to walk before trying to run. No one told you to give up, simply to slow down and to reign in your expectations so you don't end up in a bind... to start small. Is that so bad?

I know it's good advice because I've struggled with candles. I'm trying again for the 4th time in as many years, but this time I know I won't be ready for Christmas. And I know it's good advice because I've found out the hard way that it's not necessarily a simple thing - making great candles. And I know Top DOES care because he's cared enough to help me.

Edited by CareBear

Zink wicks just don't burn hot enough for soy (yes I know some people use them just fine). I would just for a test, pull the zinks out of 1 jar and take the tab off of the cd wicks you have and stick them in the holes that you have. You may need to make the holes bigger with a wooden match stick. Trim and light them and carefully monitor them to see how they burn, adjust the size of the wick from there.

A few things to check: make sure you use the reccomended amount of fragrance --- Cinnamon and other spicy scents sometimes require hotter wicks --- Don't just add extra scent thinking it will make it stronger, proper wicking does the job --- also make sure you don't fill the jar past the midway point of the curvature of the jar or it might flood itself out. I am not accusing just reminding

If the above test works better put the jars in the oven on a baking sheet on low temp, melt wax, pour back into pour pot, remove old wicks and secure new wicks to bottom and repour.

good luck