Am I wrong here?

Bernadette

I deal with quite a few wedding planners across the US, and recently picked up another. She's been fantastic as she either purchases directly from me, or refers her customer to me directly. Either way, she's floated alot of business to me within the past month or so.

Well, she called recently and said she was interested in placing an order for 5 or 6 doz. tealights and wanted them custom colored in the plastic cups. I told her I would work up a price for her and get right back to her.

Well...to make a long story short...she expected that I would sell them to her for a $1.00/doz.:shocked2:! I wouldn't do it! That doesn't cover all my costs, and is let than those cheapies you can buy at Wallyworld, etc.(50 for $4.99in tin cups).

As a wedding planner, I would think that she would know better. My tealights burn 10 hours and are in first quality plastic cups, not the real thin ones. I checked a couple of wedding sites online, and their white tealights were even more expensive than $1.00/doz., to say nothing about their colored ones.

Those of you that sell tealights, what do you charge? I gave her a really good price so I'm just so perplexed that she really thought I would sell them that cheap.

Yeah, I agree...she must be out of her mind! I don't sell yet, but if I did, I sure wouldn't let them go for $1 a dozen. Not sure what they charge now, but PartyLite sold their tealights for $6.95 a dozen a couple of years ago. I can understand giving a discount for a large order, but not for $1 a dozen! I would let her take her business elsewhere if she gives you a hassle. JMO

Do you think that since she gives you so much business that she EXPECTED a really cheap price? Don't get me wrong, a $1 a dozen is absolutely ridiculous. I just think that something is up here for her to even suggest such a thing.

I agree Noodle.. Seems like she felt if she made you money by directing customers your way... you would give her a discount.. everybody expects something these days. Some people dont realize just how much money and work gets put into these crafts and then to pretty much ask for them for free is like a slap in the face. I dont sell personally... but i will say that one of the reasons i had to give up candle making was because of all the money and time that has to be put into it that i dont have right now. It takes TONNNSSS of money to make a perfect candle.. and when i read the stories of how some people expect the cheapest price for them makes me want to laugh.

Edited by miniiB
ADDING

Well, here's the thing...I have a program on my website where if you refer someone, and they PUT IN THE COMMENT BOX at checkout that you referred them, you get a $2.00 credit. None of her referrals did that, but because a couple called and told me over the phone, I gave her those credits. I told her that on the phone on Sunday. BUT I told her referrals would have to mention it in the comment section from then on(as is clearly stated on the website). I don't make exceptions for any customer. I feel it's their responsibility to read what's on the website. I was trying to be nice to her. So I gave her a great price PLUS some referral dollars and reduced shipping for custom colored, 5 doz. tealights in upgraded plastic cups.

I've seen bags of tea lights sold at dollar stores for $1 or $2 dollars. Maybe thats why she thinks they are so cheap.:laugh2:

Stick to your price. If you have given her a good deal she will find out later on when she tries to purchase elsewhere. Like someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for.

Well, here's the thing...I have a program on my website where if you refer someone, and they PUT IN THE COMMENT BOX at checkout that you referred them, you get a $2.00 credit. None of her referrals did that, but because a couple called and told me over the phone, I gave her those credits. I told her that on the phone on Sunday. BUT I told her referrals would have to mention it in the comment section from then on(as is clearly stated on the website). I don't make exceptions for any customer. I feel it's their responsibility to read what's on the website. I was trying to be nice to her. So I gave her a great price PLUS some referral dollars and reduced shipping for custom colored, 5 doz. tealights in upgraded plastic cups.

well then she should just be appreciative that you gave her a good price.. its not like you didnt discount it at all. Alot of places if you dont put the discount code in checkout box you cannot go back and get the discount.. I think you were being pretty generous giving her credits even though her referrals didnt list her in your websites comment box.

You are not wrong. Remind her what your normal charge (including the regular shipping) for those would be as well as the discounted rate that you had offered her so that she can see the saving in black & white, if she chooses to do it great, if she doesn't, so be it.

well then she should just be appreciative that you gave her a good price.. its not like you didnt discount it at all. Alot of places if you dont put the discount code in checkout box you cannot go back and get the discount.. I think you were being pretty generous giving her credits even though her referrals didnt list her in your websites comment box.

I completely agree.

OMG I would have bust a gut laughing at her and her price!! I sell my scented teas for $12.00 a dozen and my beeswax teas for $16.00 a dozen and no one has a problem with my prices! :cool2: For the price she wants to pay, send her to Walmart don't even argue with her. If she wants quality she has to pay for it.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update you all on this....

After the tealight fiasco with this wedding planner, I didn't hear from her again. Then, surprise of surprise, in the past week I've already gotten 2 different orders from her. Not for tealights, but other wedding candles she's purchased from me before.

I'm glad I stood my ground on the tealights, and I guess it goes to show that you never can tell with some people.:cheesy2: