Measuring oils

Just ignore the fact that those two things have the same name. They are different things and could just as well have different names.

A liquid ounce is what you get from a measuring cup or a measuring spoon. You're filling a container to a certain level, so it measures how much space a liquid takes up (the volume).

The ounce you get on a scale is a measure of how heavy something is (the weight).

When you measure fragrance oil in those two ways, you get two different amounts. You could theoretically do it either way, as long as you're consistent. Doing it by weight on a scale has some advantages though. One of them is that it's more consistent because it's easier to accurately measure weight on a scale than volume in a cup.

i bought a jewelry scale on ebay for 9.00 shipping included just to measure my fragrance oil. i found out my postal scale i use to weigh my wax doesnt like to weigh light weight stuff. but i love love this jewelry scale it is very sensitive. i just pour the oil into a small shot glass on the scale after i tare the glass.

The confusion is due to our odd system of measurements, where we have the same name for two different things. These things have two different names in the metric system: Mass and weight is grams, while liquid volume is liters. No reason mix them up.

That lets you know that when you buy a 2-liter bottle of soda, it refers to the size of the bottle (volume) rather than the weight of the liquid. If you buy a chocolate bar in Europe it will be sold by its weight in grams and the difference would be obvious.

If you buy a 12 oz bottle of soda, that also happens to refer to the size of the bottle (look closely and it says "liquid ounces" on the label). But if you buy a 12 oz bar of chocolate, it says "net weight" on the label, referring to how heavy the piece of chocolate is. Same name, different measurement.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

More info, here. Pretty geeky stuff.

Bottom line is that a fluid ounce used to be based on the volume of water that was equal to one ounce in weight.

Obviously this was too easy, so it got changed over the years.

Also, a fluid ounce of FO will be heavier than a fluid ounce of water. And some FOs will be heavier than others.

A fluid ounce of water now weighs 1.04 ounces by weight.

An ounce of cinnamon FO might weigh 1.06 ounces by weight, and vanilla might weigh 1.08 onces by weight.

Don't know if those weights are accurate, except for the water, but you get the idea.

So if you use measuring cups and spoons, your recipes won't be consistent from one fragrance to another.

So if you use measuring cups and spoons, your recipes won't be consistent from one fragrance to another.

Assuming you measure accurately, the recipes will be consistent in volume of FO from one fragrance to another. I don't think we can say for sure that consistent weight is better than consistent volume. When it comes to simple wax + FO candle formulas, either way works.

When things get more complicated, the only practical approach is to weigh all ingredients and record formulas as the concentration of ingredients by weight in the finished product (the product could be a candle or a wax blend). Hobbyists don't necessarily have to worry about that, although we still encourage them to use a scale to help measure FO accurately.