It's just so heartbreaking!

flutterbye

So, I haven't posted much in Soooo long! I went completely out of business in the recent summer. I just couldn't compete with all the mass produced, cheaper products out there for sale in the general department stores.. I made amazing luminary candles, worked my butt off! Embedded, Personalized, etc. but have been one-upped by 'Glade' and every other battery operated, scented, everlasting "candle" product out there, I cant tell you how many times I've heard customers say things like "I saw these candles at Kohls or Gordmans, scented, made of real wax and battery operated for only $5.99 each or so and so makes what you do for half the price, why do you have to charge so much more?

....So I closed up...

I'm just curious to hear of other peoples stories of having to lose their business to a mainstream battery operated or other mass produced related candle overthrow. I hope I'm not the only one...

I got so used to hearing " I love how unique and special your candles are & handmade is so much more special" Then BAM! There are glass hurricannes you can personalize with your own photos yourself, safer, battery opperated luminary pillars for less than half of what my product costs in wax... Their entire finished product at retail costs less than my cost per supplies@ wholesale. Guess us homemade candlemakers are being overthrown by the larger, factory operated companies.... I Loved making candles...but just cant afford to do it anymore..It breaks my heart that the economy has turned this way...people cant afford the well made products like we all make, they just settle for the cheap crap that they sell at Target or Wallyword... I get it, I'm broke too...but it just breaks my heart...Thanks for listening to my vent.............. :undecided

The economy won't be down forever. It all goes in cycles, so maybe you could scale it back to hobby status and just be ready to pounce when things improve?

If you'll think back, every time the economy tanks and people cut back to the point they feel like they've deprived themselves... they tend to make up for it once things improve.

A lot of people view hand crafted candles as both a luxury and a bit of a status symbol.

I'd guess that anybody who can hang on till the storm is passed, will do well, when things improve.

Just a thought.

I was thinking about this just yesterday. A Glade commercial came on about how fragrance "decorates" your home for the holidays. I don't make candles on a large scale, but can see how the cheaper options would be hurting folks.

I'm sorry you've had to quit. Maybe things will pick up again in the future.

~Julia

I know what you are going through,it is hard to compete but don't try to compete,people to love the the one one attention they get from people like you and all of us.I sell at the antique and flea market and hear so much of it and I say well wally world is up the street try there and let it go.I do sell my things for more than other vendors do too and I don't care if they comment on it.I do have repeat customers and they end up saying I have tried others but yours is better and decorated so nice.Hang in there,people don't realize they hurt others feelings.I did say to one person "you don't need to be rude to me just keep walking"

Hi there flutterbye,

That's terribly sad news about your depart from the hand crafted candle world. I really do bet your candles are missed by everyone who sought them out.

Here's a thought for you that you could consider that I have used to overcome this problem.

"Your customers" aren't the people who are looking for those cheap run-of-the-mill, no heart and soul put into candles.

Your customers are those who truly appreciate a finely crafted product that you used your hands...heart...and soul...not a machine to create. ...Yes those people are out there.

When someone says something like:

"I saw these candles at Kohls or Gordmans, scented, made of real wax and battery operated for only $5.99 each or so and so makes what you do for half the price, why do you have to charge so much more?
Just laugh it off because you should not give a little rats tush about selling to them. They are the bargain seekers and would more likely cause you problems anyhow. They aren't looking for something of your caliber.

They simply want something to smell half-way good, look decent, and be CHEAP!

Here's a good tidbit of marketing advice I learned several years back about pricing.

"The marketplace takes you at your own appraisal"!!

If you compete with the discounters, what are you saying about your product? You are saying that what you make is as cheap and crappy as the Mainstays Candles at walmart.

Who cares if all the discounters are selling cheap stuff...the people who buy it know its cheap crap. But they are buying for different reasons than the people who are looking for the caliber of candles that you create.

If you put your heart and soul into making beautiful candles...then price them accordingly.

Don't try to be in a price competition...because you can't win (and you don't want to win at being the cheapest.)

Being the cheapest or even in the average price range is rarely the best profiting strategy.

You can always give compelling reasons with your marketing as to why your candles are worth much more than your closest competitor.

Don't worry about bargain shoppers...the upscale buyers are out there!!

Go find them!!

Holly

Edited by Vicky_CO

Hi there flutterbye,

That's terribly sad news about your depart from the hand crafted candle world. I really do bet your candles are missed by everyone who sought them out.

Here's a thought for you that you could consider that I have used to overcome this problem.

"Your customers" aren't the people who are looking for those cheap run-of-the-mill, no heart and soul put into candles.

Your customers are those who truly appreciate a finely crafted product that you used your hands...heart...and soul...not a machine to create. ...Yes those people are out there.

Just laugh it off because you should not give a little rats tush about selling to them. They are the bargain seekers and would more likely cause you problems anyhow. They aren't looking for something of your caliber.

Here's a good tidbit of marketing advice I learned several years back about pricing.

If you compete with the discounters, what are you saying about your product? You are saying that what you make is as cheap and crappy as the Mainstays Candles at walmart.

Who cares if all the discounters are selling cheap stuff...the people who buy it know its cheap crap. But they are buying for different reasons than the people who are looking for the caliber of candles that you create.

If you put your heart and soul into making beautiful candles...then price them accordingly.

Don't try to be in a price competition...because you can't win (and you don't want to win at being the cheapest.)

Being the cheapest or even in the average price range is rarely the best profiting strategy.

You can always give compelling reasons with your marketing as to why your candles are worth much more than your closest competitor.

Go find them!!

Holly

nicely said Holly

Edited by Vicky_CO
link removed

Hi there flutterbye,

Go find them!!

Holly

And if you want to know more, I can help you out!!!!

Edited by Vicky_CO
link removed

You should try to seel beeswax candles! People just don't understand the true value of some products unless you tell them.

I have learned to just blow most of the "bargain shoppers" off and focus on the people that truly appreciate the products I make and sell.

And yes, I have told people that they can buy much cheaper products at WalMart if that's what they want!!!:P

I can understand your frustration...

We do packaged tarts and warmers at craft shows. We have done about 10 so far this year and I am soooo sick and tired of selling right next to a SCENTSY lady!! Not sure how that became part of the art and craft show but there has been one at almost every show I have done.

Very frustrating!! I even spoke to one of the organizers about it since items were suppose to be 80% handmade. She just blew me off and said. "Oh we allow others if the booths are not full".

Another one I questioned why there were two people selling such close items and that I did not mind it if they were another crafter but competing with someone with such similar items from a direct sales company was insulting. She tried to tell me that she did not know they were so close. NICE try, since I sent in product photos!! Oh, but she did tell me next year they would make sure our booths were further apart, gee thanks!!

It really bites, I feel your pain.....

You can thank your lucky stars you aren't living in a country where you have free trade agreement with China. Every single gift store, department store, dollar shop etc EVERYWHERE has candles made in China which are not only cheap but toxic Even though our burn times are far beyond what theirs are (Im talking 50 times) there is the mentality in this country for cheap and nasty We use only top quality too. You are lucky that you have high duties on candle imports. Having lived in Europe, it is sure an eye opener when a whole population is trained to buy cheap!!

I so understand where you are coming from flutterbye.

Yesterday we went to a market, a HUGE market with tonnes of people and barely made $20 above our stall costs.

First time we'd been there though and as it turned out it was a market FULL of "made in china" stuff - possibly the junkiest of all junk I've ever seen.

Seems like so many markets are like that these days, and yet people flock to them!

It can be so depressing at times to see people shopping with that "I want cheap" attitude, but what keeps us going are the customers that KNOW a good quality item and are happy to pay for it. And they DO exist. It's just finding them AND the right market.

Don't lose all hope. Maybe take a breather for a bit perhaps?

I don't think making and selling a great product is impossible these days. Harder, yes, but not impossible.

Tracy

Ages ago we country folks made all our own stuff. Wreaths, home deco, aprons, candles, etc. because it was cheaper than buying commercially made stuff. Now it's gotten to where it's more expensive to make from scratch than to buy from the stores, so other people can't afford our items. It's sickening and sad. I keep hearing that even food is like that now (fast food is cheaper than cooking at home; is that so?).

I was at a Ren Faire yesterday and noticed the same thing. There were plenty of people there, but just not a lot of buying and selling going on. I've adopted the mentality that just going to these events is my main entertainment now, not buying at them, and I suppose a lot of other people are thinking that too.

I feel your pain...these are tough times that we're in economy wise. But all it takes is for one customer to "try" one of your products and see the difference, to have them come back for more, or better yet, recommend your items to others. I hear it all the time from customers...that they bought something in the store(discount), and it didn't burn as long as they thought it would or the scent throw was nonexistant. It takes awhile to build a strong customer base. Some may even leave you for awhile thinking they can get the same quality elsewhere, but they DO come back. They may not buy as much, but when they recommend you to new customers, you can make up the difference.

And as for negative type comments, remember that it's a combination of the times and insensitive, ignorant people. Brighter days are on their way!

Thanks for the responses. Well my main issue that is preventing me from profiting enough to keep the business going is that I mostly make luminary (hurricane) candles, a huge variety of them, but really, they last forever so theres never a need to replace them so once a customer has purchased a few, theres no need to ever buy more.

I do have loyal customers who tell their friends and order personalized ones as gifts for others...But after a few years I've almost hit up every possible customer in town. At alot of shows, I'd get people come back and say how much they love their luminary or remark to there buddy as they walk by that they bought one at a previous show but theres no reason to replace a candle that never consumes itself. And my prices are so high now, I cant help it, supplies have gone up too much. My tarts go like crazy only because there the cheapest thing on the table! But they don't pay the bills. If I hear one more customer mention those stupid cheap febreeze flameless luminaries, i'm gonna freak out.

Business was booming a few years ago. I thought this was it, I'd found something I love doing so much, get to work at home at my own schedule and actually have a fun job. But once I started having to put supplies on a credit card that I couldn't pay off anymore, I realized it was over. Back to the 9-5, mind blowingly boring, uncreative, work for some other jerk, job.... :cry2:

Do you have a website? Have you considered one? These days, almost every family has relatives that live elsewhere and they all have friends and acquaintances. If you don't have a website and can't afford it right now, how about a friend who would be willing to let you sell your product on their site? Then you could tell your customers locally that you would appreciate it if they would tell their family and friends to visit your website.

I say this because way back when I first started out, I did a total of 2 craft shows and said, "This is it!". I loved meeting the people, but HATED lugging all those heavy boxes around. I did terrific at the 2 shows and everyone said I should sell on eBay, so I opened an account and started selling there. That was a decade ago when selling on eBay was fun and profitable. When I opened my website, I emailed all those customers and let them know. The business has grown from there, strictly by word of mouth. And I now sell internationally because alot of my customers still have family elsewhere other than the US.

I don't do hurricanes(yet!), but I do have a couple niches and some of my candles are labor intensive and expensive, but they still sell. There are still plenty of people out there with the means and desire to purchase quality products. You just have to find them. A little effort in the right places can help you find them.

And perhaps adding a couple of other unique products might help you grow and continue to do the more creative work that you love.

I used to let some of the comments about pricing get under my skin, but I gave up explaining anything a long time ago. When someone makes a comment about the candles or lotion, etc, they've found at the $$ store, I just say that it's wonderful they found such a cheap price. It's pointless to try to deal with the $$ store mentality.

However, I completely understand and have experienced what you guys are talking about. There are a lot of name brand candles being sold around here for less than what I could sell for.

• 4 weeks later...

I find it to be useless to directly compete with the bigger players in the industry. What I do find more challanging is finding the little niches in the market place. For our honey, yes, you can get much cheaper honey at Walmart. That is ok because our honey is local and raw. This creates a niche market.