Poll: What Temp Do You Pour 464?

I have been all over this site and the answers to this question are also all over the place! I'm asking because I'm getting some air pockets and sinkholes with my last couple of batches. I have poured at 135 and 125...I'll test this myself too, but am wondering if I should let it go slushy or pour it hotter?:confused: And should I not be letting my candles cool on the table, uncovered? I try to pour slowly, but I can see some itty-bitty bubbles floating in there just waiting to cause trouble. :angry2:

I'm not giving up: I know this can be a great one-pour wax!

I have the same problem. I was pouring mine at about 125 and they would have holes, frosting, and were ugly. I know its not recommended but I have alot better looking candles pouring at 140.

I use 435 and this last skid I got is different. I have always had to wait till the wax got thick, almost slushy. But this time the jars looked like crap with a lot of frosting and white streaks. So I would heat up jar with wax till completely hot and melted, let set till cool. And they were beautiful. Finally I thought to heck with the waiting till slushy, I'll pour hot and after they set up and look all crappy I'll heat again. :confused: What ever works, I don't have time, too many orders. This damn wax is seeping oil too so I'm way behind. Any way. After the hot poured candles cooled they were perfect. No frosting, streaking or nothing. This has never happened. Been pouring this same wax for 9 years and it has many problems but this??? I have found it must be very hot around 160-170* too hot to touch. And I cool them fast, in the unheated garage with a fan going. Maybe this will work for you, hell my wax might be 454 in the wrong box. Who knows what wax I have, just cause the box says Plain 435. Wonder what the next skid will bring?

PS

I always do a re-pour/topping off and I definitely have to with this method.

Edited by Sharon in KY

After the hot poured candles cooled they were perfect. No frosting, streaking or nothing. This has never happened. Been pouring this same wax for 9 years and it has many problems but this???

I hadda laugh, Sharon! It's downright SCARY when something actually works out RIGHT with no jumping through hoops, isn't it?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hi Cat Lover! I am writing to you because of your name. I am a cat lover as well and I am concerned with fragrances and essential oils in my house. I just started making them a couple of weeks ago, and then found out some are toxic to cats. I have 3.

What do you know about the toxicity and have you ever had problems with your cats due to making candles in your house?

Thanks!

Kat

Wow! Preliminary testing....I poured a couple of my smaller jars (6.5 oz) at different temps--two at around 150, two at 110. The ones I poured at 150 are PERFECT. Tops like satin, no frosting, crazy pretty. The ones at 110 are just about as good, but have a little graininess on the tops..no craters or sinkholes though.

Today I'm going to try the same thing with my bigger jars, 3" in diameter. They're usually the ones to show funkiness more than the small ones. I guess I should also try this with some different fo's? The one I used was Banana Nut Bread and it doesn't seem to be as greasy and heavy as some others.

I'm hoping the hotter pour works well with some more batches...it sure speeds things up! :yay:

And what a jigsaw it is! I haven't burned these lovely ones yet, so who knows what's lurking inside. There may be a huge crater I can't even see. I hope not. I also haven't poured with a heavier fo yet...I'm sure that'll be yet another ballgame. These were Banana Nut Bread from CS, which doesn't appear to be as heavy as vanilla or pumpkin souffle....

Plus, if I don't hold my tongue just right and circle the room three times.... :tiptoe:

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I did a search and this came up. I have been making candles for about 9yrs (started with 415) for the past 3 almost 4 years been using 464. I bought a case of 464 about 2 months ago and all my 16 oz jars have tons of tiny bubbles, and frosting galore..Tried pouring all temps, still no luck, I had to keep remelting all my 16oz Jars in the oven 2 fix them! I don't have time to keep doing that. I then thought maybe the wax had been in contact with water/Humidity cause it was leaking oil and everything. I just bought my second box and SAME problem still. Now mind you One Box was used during cold months and this one is warm (70) and my room is pretty stable. Im at my wits end, I have been using this wax or years and NEVER had this. I got it from CS , but I know it comes from the manufacture . Anyone else still having this issue or heard anything about the batches of 464 with these problems? Thanks guys

I know this is an older thread, but I did a search and this came up. I have been making candles for about 9yrs (started with 415) for the past 3 almost 4 years been using 464. I bought a case of 464 about 2 months ago and all my 16 oz jars have tons of tiny bubbles, and frosting galore..Tried pouring all temps, still no luck, I had to keep remelting all my 16oz Jars in the oven 2 fix them! I don't have time to keep doing that. I then thought maybe the wax had been in contact with water/Humidity cause it was leaking oil and everything. I just bought my second box and SAME problem still. Now mind you One Box was used during cold months and this one is warm (70) and my room is pretty stable. Im at my wits end, I have been using this wax or years and NEVER had this. I got it from CS , but I know it comes from the manufacture . Anyone else still having this issue or heard anything about the batches of 464 with these problems? Thanks guys

We must have started at the same time cause I started with 415 too. Use to buy direct from GF back then but they are too big for me now. Did you use to get on Bitter Creeks Natural Board? It was B&L, NG and BC back then. We were all just starting to learn about soy wax.

I'm still having a hard time with oil leaking. Using more and more stearic to try and stop it. I know it has changed but GF/GB has denied it. I'm up to 5 oz per 9 lbs of wax GF 435 also tried 415 and it did the same thing. I have been leaking for about 6 months. I'm upping the Palm Stearic an ounce at a time. Ordered 50 lbs of the stuff so hope it cures my problem. I pretty sure I could have ordered a lot less but was going for a sale. DO THEY HAVE A STUPID SMILIE:undecided

Edited by Sharon in KY

Yes we must of then!! What a long Journey it has been this far, I laugh at what my product looked like then and I was so proud of it too!!lol

Yes something has changed and Im totally not happy with it. I need to contact GF , maybe if enougth people do they will actually maybe retest it themselves:grin2:

I just got a fresh box of 464 (50lbs) after working through the 6 cases I've had for years... and I agree something is up. :cry2:

I was so perfectly consistent with my candles for years, it blew me out of the water. I poured 40 this week and EVERY SINGLE ONE had rough tops. I just stared and stared... I don't know what to think of it. 30 of them smoothed out with a quick blast of the heat gun but 10 of them I had to re-pour, it was strawberry shortcake from CS, no matter what I did with this new batch, it would not smooth out without a re-pour.

I dont really know what to think or what to do. I'm just glad I didnt order 6 cases again.

Have been testing 464 for 7 months, and really felt I had it mastered. My last batch from CS has me feeling like I am back to my first week of candle making. It has been a nightmare. So much so that I am back to testing other waxes. So frustrating to start all over again. This nightmare led me to this site, and that I can be grateful for.

Well isnt this just wonderful...i have a brand new case of 464...opening it today...who knows what i will find.

I did notice back in the Fall last year that the 464 i bought was WAY different than when i was messing with it 2+ years ago. I got rough tops and holes by the wicks no matter what temp i poured. I was hoping the new box would be better....thanks for the heads up!!:confused:

What Should we do? I guess I will contact CS today and they can contact them. Maybe we all should so they no its not a one person Fluke..

I have let them know so please every one.. tell your supplier to call Jason at GF. He need to find a "soylution"... I have had several different dates and this one is 10-02-09

Well half my tarts have oil on top and that's with about 3/4 oz stearic per lb. Have some tarts drying now that are 2 oz stearic per lb. same amount FO (1.5) and color. Poured 2 each at 139* 154* 189* We'll see what happens.

I have so many orders but can't go any further till I get this solved. All cooled smooth. Now they are in the sun but is is only 67*. ....None of the ones with 2 oz stearic per lb showed any signs of oil. While the other batch with less stearic did. Now to let them set over night and see if all is still ok.

I can deal with candles having some oil but tarts are different. Last week we had about 100 dozen wrapped individual and packed 3 dozen in a box. They were leaking so bad the boxes had oil all over them. What a mess... Never in all my years has anything like this happened.

Edited by Sharon in KY