USA from JBN in C-3

I am confused? I am hoping someone can help me? I have read several posts about USA purchased from JBN and I can not find it on their website for the life of me. I emailed them and I have not heard back from them yet. Are all USA's the same? I bought some from another company but it doesn't have a suggested percentage weight per pound to use. Any suggestions?

I have also read that some people use Crisco as an additive in C-3. Has anyone had any success with this?

Thank you.

I am confused? I am hoping someone can help me? I have read several posts about USA purchased from JBN and I can not find it on their website for the life of me. I emailed them and I have not heard back from them yet. Are all USA's the same? I bought some from another company but it doesn't have a suggested percentage weight per pound to use. Any suggestions?

I have also read that some people use Crisco as an additive in C-3. Has anyone had any success with this?

Thank you.

When you do get it let me know how it works for you..I have some but have never used it...the C3 i usually get is nice and creamy and I don't need it,but this last batch I got..I may need it, the tops come out cracked ,alot like when I used 415,and they frosted some...weird batch.

Thanks..Kim

Do you prefer USA or CO?

USA

And have you ever tried Crisco?

Yes. For the issues that plague NatureWax C3, the use of Crisco does not help I think because it is too similar in composition. The reason people use USA for NatureWax C3 is not for "creaminess," it is to help stabilize the crystallization of the soy wax (frosting), reducing frosting and smoothing the texture & tops (both after pouring and after burning). It also enhances scent throw. HTH :)

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but seeing as I was going to ask a similar question - I thought it best to start here (I'm a newbie as you can probably tell :-)

I've been reading through all the threads - from which I've learned many new things :-) and saw mention of the USA additive, but it's not available from my local supplier in Sydney (Aust)

I believe (after my own research - not being told by the way) my supplier likely imports products from CScience... if it makes a difference.

Anyways, if anyone would care to look at this page:

http://www.naturalcandlesupply.com.au/Additives/?cid=5

and let me know whether the first one listed: PALM STEARIC ACID

would be a suitable additive - particularly for enhancing hot scent throw.

I use the Ecosoy PB, Advanced Soy and the Ecosoya CB-135 depending on what candle item I'm making/testing.

I have the melts down great, just having various problems with container candles. Mainly the hot scent through - cold scent throw is terrific, but the hot throw is pretty is letting me down. I use around 9% FO (was actually told to use more - which I've tried - but still didn't work as expected - so I backed off a bit - particularly after reading here that too much FO is just a waste of money !).

The last wicks (HTP 73s or 83s for small containers) I've been using seem to be working quite well both for burn time and FMP. It's just that blasted hot scent throw that's getting me down.

PS: I can't believe it took me so long to find this forum - nothing similar available here in Au - and I enjoy reading/ learning from every post I read here :-)

Thanks for listening and sorry for prattling on!

I'm sure SOMETHING like it is available in AU, but don't know where to tell you to find it - USA contains monoglycerides and was developed for the food industry to improve issues with veggie fats quite similar to what we have with soy-based veggie waxes. You could try palm stearic, but I don't think it will help much with throw in the waxes you listed. You might try using coconut oil, palm oil, soy lecithin to see if it helps. Just increasing the FO load does not necessarily translate into better throw because the wick has to burn the stuff! Wicking can make some difference. If I am not mistaken, I think CD & CDN wicks are available Down Under, so give 'em a whirl. While nearly any wick can burn a candle, whether it does the BEST overall job in a particular wax with particular FOs is a whole 'nother matter! ;)

I use EcoSoya PB with 1 oz. FO pp & CD or CDN wicks. I find it has very decent hot throw. I don't use the other two, so I can't contribute any experience about them, but many folks here have reported that Ecosoya Advanced is beautiful wax but does not have the scent throw properties of CB 135. You might be better off to choose 135 and address the frosting issues rather than trying to get more HT from Advanced. Good luck! :D

I'm sure SOMETHING like it is available in AU, but don't know where to tell you to find it - USA contains monoglycerides and was developed for the food industry to improve issues with veggie fats quite similar to what we have with soy-based veggie waxes.

Now that I know what it is, I'll definitely look at other supplier - even if they are further away - the cost for a kilo shouldn't kill the budget :-)

You could try palm stearic, but I don't think it will help much with throw in the waxes you listed. You might try using coconut oil, palm oil, soy lecithin to see if it helps.

I did try coconut oil, but didn't like it - if anything made things worse <lol> greasy looking and I didn't even add that much.

Just increasing the FO load does not necessarily translate into better throw because the wick has to burn the stuff! Wicking can make some difference.

Yep, I know all about that now - learned a lot about this right here on this forum. I was using a lot more initially - but cut right back as the extra didn't make any difference to the hot throw anyways.

If I am not mistaken, I think CD & CDN wicks are available Down Under, so give 'em a whirl. While nearly any wick can burn a candle, whether it does the BEST overall job in a particular wax with particular FOs is a whole 'nother matter! ;)

I also have a heap of various sized CDNs, but found they didn't work as well as the HTPs in containers, but worked well with pillars and votives.

I'm using a 142 honey pot (sticking to the small sizes until I have everything sorted) and tested the CDN 14 and the HTP 83. The CDN burned too hot and fast, and the HTP 83 too small. So my next test is goign to be the HTP 93.

I use EcoSoya PB with 1 oz. FO pp & CD or CDN wicks. I find it has very decent hot throw.

I agree there, when I made a few pillars and votives the CDN worked well on testing as opposed to the HTPs.

The supplier told me to use the HTPs for containers and the CDNs for pillars and votives and that's seems to be correct so far.

.... but many folks here have reported that Ecosoya Advanced is beautiful wax but does not have the scent throw properties of CB 135. You might be better off to choose 135 and address the frosting issues rather than trying to get more HT from Advanced.

Again, I read that here first <lol> so my next step was going to be trying a mixture of both - as I have quite a bit of both waxes and with the hot summer coming up I don't want to have too much of one lying around. If I remember correctly, one lady was using 30% 135 to 70%Advanced, so I'll try that as a first step... which is going to be tomorrow :-)

Good luck!

Thank you ! I'm really enjoying it all and am afraid I've got the 'bug' - at first it was a 'get away from web site design' (my main freelance work) for relaxation purposes, now I find I'm spending more time on candle making than the other job I *should* be doing :-)

I'll be back I'm sure with a lot more questions!

I'm using a 142 honey pot (sticking to the small sizes until I have everything sorted) and tested the CDN 14 and the HTP 83. The CDN burned too hot and fast, and the HTP 83 too small. So my next test is goign to be the HTP 93.

Try a CDN 12, too... You didn't mention the inside diameter of the container, but if the 14 was too hot, try a 12 or even a 10.

I'm really enjoying it all and am afraid I've got the 'bug' - at first it was a 'get away from web site design' (my main freelance work) for relaxation purposes, now I find I'm spending more time on candle making than the other job I *should* be doing :-)

That sounds VERY familiar!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Try a CDN 12, too... You didn't mention the inside diameter of the container, but if the 14 was too hot, try a 12 or even a 10.

This is the honey pot, it's a 5oz container:

http://aussiecandlesupplies.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16294&cat=259&page=1

(not the supplier I usually get it from, but the other site is working on their datasheets etc, and the dimensions are missing.

Ok, thank you ! will certainly try that tomorrow - I do have those wicks ( I certainly made sure I had plenty of every kind before I started.

So for that size would you recommend a starting point of a CDN 10?

Now that I looked at the site I linked above, I think I found the USA :shocked2:

Does this look like the correct product do you think?

http://aussiecandlesupplies.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16406&cat=270&page=1

That sounds VERY familiar!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I love candles and used to spend a fortune on them, so now I get to have lit candles everywhere, even if they don't throw as well as I'd hoped, but I'll get there !

Does this look like the correct product do you think?

I don't think so... UA is for paraffin...:undecided USA is for soy...

So for that size would you recommend a starting point of a CDN 10?

I checked the dimensions & ran 'em through to convert to inches and it looks like the widest point of the jar is about 3" (if that's the point where they measured)... try a 12 first and see how that goes. Remember to burn all the way to the bitter end to see how the wick does in the last half of the container. While it may seem too large at first (in the narrower part of the container), it may be just right for the end. If the container still heats up too much, then back on down to a 10 and see... :)

Thanks Stella,

am going to test a few of that container size later tonight with various wicks - thanks so much for your help. It's really appreciated - seeing as I can't get any help locally and no-one else I know is into candle making :-)

I'll contact that company and the one I deal with to see whether they'll be able to import the USA - passing them the link referencing the product I found earlier in this thread.

Off to make some fragrance melts for orders that came in this morning - at least these are working well so I can sell them to finance all the other candle ingredients I am buying ! ;-)

Again - thanks !

If it is going to be expensive and/or difficult to obtain, I would suggest trying more available veggie oil additives first - like coconut, cottonseed, palm. Some people add a little palm wax as an additive. You could also try a little palm stearic acid...

It never hurts to experiment - the great thing about experimenting with additives or wax blends in candles is that, unlike making homemade dynamite, it won't blow your house up if ya screw up! :yay::D

If it is going to be expensive and/or difficult to obtain, I would suggest trying more available veggie oil additives first - like coconut, cottonseed, palm. Some people add a little palm wax as an additive. You could also try a little palm stearic acid...

Agreed - will have to try a little something to the mix. I know the wholesaler does sell the palm stearic acid - so maybe..... :-)

It never hurts to experiment - the great thing about experimenting with additives or wax blends in candles is that, unlike making homemade dynamite, it won't blow your house up if ya screw up! :yay::D

LOL - I've put off experimenting in the last few days - it's terribly hot here (and I suffer in the heat - let alone trying to make candles !), but really need to get a move on these - to find out why the hot throw isn't as good as my other products.

I'm right now burning a palm wax candle where I wicked up to a CDN 10, so we'll see if the scent throw is better.

Thanks again for all your tips.