Shirlee Posted November 4, 2009 Report Share Posted November 4, 2009 I can only say that my first attempt at tart making this morning would've made quite a hoot of a video if someone had been filming me. I thought I'd make it easy on myself. I had purchased a simple mold of little circle tarts with a snowflake pattern at the top. No coloring needed. And I had a nice pine-smelling fragrance oil. Perfect. Well, I was given sort of a recipe for my wax & fragrance oil ... .25 oz of fragrance oil for every 4 ounces of wax. So I looked at my mold ... figured it would take just under 2 cups of wax which, math wiz that I am, I figured out to be 8 ounces. So I measured out 8 ounces of wax, put it into my melting pot, & then took an old plastic tablespoon to measure out .5 ounces of fragrance oil. I learned very quickly that .5 ounces of fragrance oil is quite a bit more than a tablespoon can hold. Lost some oil there but did find a little metal measuring cup that worked well for measuring the oil. I had looked at the wax melting instructions here on the site. I couldn't find a cheap pot to use for my boiling pot so got out my stainless steel soup pot as I didn't want to use my Le Creuset stuff. Filled it up a bit with water, put it on the stove to boil, & dug out a cookie cutter to put at the bottom to rest my melting pot on. The water boiled but wasn't high enough above the cookie cutter so I added a bit more. The water boiled again & I put my melting pot on top of the cookie cutter. It wouldn't stay. It wanted to float around in the water. Nothing I could do but put on a potholder mitt & hold the pot down until the wax melted. I didn't really know what to do next but figured now was the time to add the fragrance. Poured it in, stirred it around with the handle of one of my good wooden spoons (hard to believe there's not a piece of scrap wood or a hunk of stick anywhere around here). Figured I probably didn't have to "cook" it any longer so decided to take the melting pot out & pour my mold. It was not fun getting the pot out of that soup pot without dumping it all over the place but I did manage it. I then looked at what was in the pot & then looked at my mold ... way too much wax. I didn't know if you could "save" wax until the first batch of tarts were cool & popped out of the molds so you could put more wax in so I ran & got every mold I have & poured it all. I've now got little white pine-scented crows & little white pine-scented trees, etc. So ... what I have now is a melting pot with a bunch of wax in it that cooled & adhered to the sides, a wooden spoon handle full of wax from stirring, & some really funky pine-scented things. Everything looks nice & white ... I guess that's a good sign.So ... 1. How do I clean this melting pot?2. In the future, can I indeed save melted wax until one batch of tarts has cooled & has been popped out of the mold so I can pour another batch at a later time?3. Any other stupid stuff I did here that needs pointed out to me? I welcome any & all help. As you can see, I really need it!Blessings,Shirlee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.