Votives...strong CT and HT

I never was a really big fan of votives...never bought one that smelled that great. But I thought I may as well try some. I mixed some 6006 with 4794 and threw in some palm stearic and 1 oz. pp. FO (pumpkin souffle) First try was perfect. Not too hard, not too soft and the CT and HT was out of this world!!!

Used some of the small zinc wicks - burned good but going to try some cotton wicks, just to see which one I prefer. I have never smelled such a strong votive. I premix 2.5 lbs of 4794 (only that much because I can't cut that worth crap) to 1 lb 6006. I let it cool and set up and use what I need. Is it the 4794 or the 6006?

I've never mixed container wax with votive wax. Not sure how that would work out. Votives need to be hard.

I mix container wax with my votive wax and it produces a perfect votive. I don't use the same waxes mentioned in the OP but just wanted to chime in and say it does work with the right waxes/ratios.

I use container soy wax and love the way they burn and throw. That said I only burn in a tight fitting glass votive cup. I have yet to see a votive burn like a pillar no matter who's I have tried.

I use a paraffin container wax. I love the way they burn! I also use a tight fitting container as I was always told that votives should be in a tight fitting container no matter the type of wax you use. JMO

I don't think palm stearic really helps improve the throw just the hardness and aids with release from the mold. Vybar will help improve throw by improving FO absorption thereby allowing you to use more FO.

Hot throw is determined the size of your melt pool. The wider the pool the greater the throw. That's why a single votive in a tight votive holder won't give you a great throw. You would need to burn multiple votive candles to scent a room.

For my votive I blend container soy with pillar paraffin. I use heinz CD wicks. I use a little wider votive holder (it has a 2-1/2 inch diameter) to test burn my votives in which a single votive gives off a pretty decent throw.

Also if your using paraffin it's best to let your candles cure for at least a week before testing for throw. I noticed a marked improvement in votives burned a couple weeks after being poured.

I don't think palm stearic really helps improve the throw just the hardness and aids with release from the mold. Vybar will help improve throw by improving FO absorption thereby allowing you to use more FO.

Yeah, I looked it up and all I found said it just increased hardness. Nothing to do with scent throw.

For my votive I blend container soy with pillar paraffin. I use heinz CD wicks. I use a little wider votive holder (it has a 2-1/2 inch diameter) to test burn my votives in which a single votive gives off a pretty decent throw.

I've made several batches of mixing 4794 (all paraffin) with Clarus 70 soy/30 paraffin and I have yet to make one that is any stronger than the 4794 by itself, which I wasn't entirely happy with or I wouldn't be experimenting with blending it. They're like you said (decent), but I just think they can be made stronger. I've tinkered with coconut oil a little, but you have to wick down when you use that and I haven't done enough tests to say one way or the other about it.

Also if your using paraffin it's best to let your candles cure for at least a week before testing for throw. I noticed a marked improvement in votives burned a couple weeks after being poured.

Same here. Curing does help, for some reason, with some FO/wax combinations. I had one that didn't come into it's strongest until 5 weeks after pouring.

Quote "Hot throw is determined the size of your melt pool. The wider the pool the greater the throw. That's why a single votive in a tight votive holder won't give you a great throw. You would need to burn multiple votive candles to scent a room."

I will disagree with this statement only because the very first votive I ever made and burned in a flower pot votive burner, smelled up a lot of area for me! We could smell it in 3 rooms!! But I must say that the layout of the house was very open. Don't know if that's why? The fragrance was Jasmine and it made me believe in my candles... :cheesy2: I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the type of fragrance but I've been really lucky with my wax, additives and fragrances. JMHO