By golly you can teach an old dog new tricks!

I was recently at an event on Spokane, WA (Greenbluff for any of you who know the area) and took some of my candles to sell. I make my candles with Swan's Accu-10. Normally I heat to 160, and add FO and dye but very often would get frosting. A lady up there suggested that I heat to 130, add scent and dye at 120 and pour at 100. I thought no way! Those temps are two low.... well Now I bite my tongue because those temps produce an even better candle. Every time!

I guess my point is this no matter how much you think you've gotten this down, there's always room for improvment.

Hi,

Hey they told me to pour this wax hot, well thanks for the info. We need to stay in touch I have 3 one w/o anthing one w/FO and one w/color waiting to test. You posted on the coconut wax thread I started, Thanks, What wicks are you using in the accu-soy 10?

I was born at the Navy base in Washinton, Whidbey island. :yay::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Need to go back and see it.

Linda

This doesn't surprise me. It seems that soy either should be heated & poured hot (160°F is midrange), or poured very cool at the slushy stage. I have never noticed any difference in the ultimate HT because of the temp that FO is added. Perhaps that's true for paraffin wax, but it doesn't seem to be the case with any of the veggie waxes that I have used. I'm ALWAYS up to learn a better way so that my candles come out mo' better! Congratulations! :D

Another thing soy327... i got very frustrated with this wax in the very beginning. Almost quit all together. That was 2 years ago. You will find your own grove. What works for one person may not work for another. One thing I have learned is you have to have patience and determination with this craft. Its not a fast hobby to begin with but once you get it, you get it. But sounds like you are on your way

Edited by CandleLytes

Thanks, that's what I use too. I doooo have a million others though. Have you tried what the lady at the fair told you? I have three in the oven curing(Colorado is a non forgiving candle making State one day hot the next day a blizzard:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Linda

I am keeping on keeping on. CD's my fave. Somebody once told me what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Unbeleivabably the one with fragrance and color is going to be the one that shines. I'm talking about the coconut wax.

Now those accu soy 10 are curing and looking good but by morning it could all change(jar adhesion, frosting, wet spots) keep your fingers crossed and so will I:yay::yay::P:p

Linda

I'm curious as to why outside temps make a difference in candle making? Can someone explain this here or should I start a new thread?

I am new at this!:)

Soy waxes are very sensitive to temperature changes. We discuss this frequently!! Your indoor environment matters a great deal! Unless you live in a completely hermetically sealed home, it's cooler inside during the wintertime with more drafts than it is in the summer. Feel inside your cabinets! For those of us who live in drafty old houses, the indoor temperature (AND humidity) vary from the mid-80s in the summer to the low 60s in the winter (my fingers are freezing as I write this).

And, yes, another thread would have been a good idea. You can also search the forums for more information on temperature changes & soy candlemaking. :)