CS Leaf Ratings???

KoalaGirl

Hi all, I live in the land of 'milk and honey' but unfortunately not the land of 'endless choices of fragrant oils'. The majority of my oils come from CS and I am happy with most of them, however, I do question the accuracy of their leaf rating system, for example, Christmas Cedar. I lit a tart about a half hour ago and Im sitting here at the pc, 3 rooms away and its so strong, Im going to blow it out {this one still in the testing stage}. Now I understand that scent 'throw' and scent strength is not the same thing and that if I made this one with a lesser % of oil, the scent would still travel as far only not be so strong. Am I on the right track?

Christmas Cedar has a rating of only ONE leaf. A lot of 3 leafers dont throw nearly this well.

I use Ecosoya PB. I guess their leaf ratings arn't the same for all types of wax.

I would think for the soy users the leaf rating would be pretty accurate. Now, I use paraffin so if it says it is strong in soy I know it will be great in paraffin. If it say it is not very strong in soy it still might have a good throw in paraffin. So, I guess that is why it is so important to do your own testing. Plus, everyones view of a strong or weak throw will vary on the person.

I am pretty sure the leaf system is for wicked soy candles not tarts. I have found that many oils that seem a little weak in soy wicked candles will do much better in soy tarts or a para/soy tart. Also, you are right, most likely they have not tested in all soys. Some oils will not do so well in one type of soy but will in another. I have run tests with oils in different soys and they will do great in one of the soys but not so great in another.

Edited by Holly

I agree with Holly and believe that leaf rating is more for a wicked candle and not a tart. I have scents I won't put in a jar because it does not throw as well but I'll put it in a meltie. Also, scent throw/strength is very subjective. What I consider to be strong can differ greatly from what the next person considers strong.