warming jars

Hello. I am trying to find the best way to warm jars. I put them in the oven on the lowest temp but the wicks melt alittle. Is there another solution for that or is that what should happen. I put the wick bars on after I take them out. Thanks, Jeanne

It's late for me so I may be misunderstanding your post a bit....

Are you warming the jars BEFORE pouring the candles, or are you putting the candles in the oven AFTER you pour them so that they'll cool slowly?

I ask, because if you're warming the jars before pouring the wax, you don't need to have the wicks in them at that point. You can warm the jars, take them out, wick, then pour.

Hope I don't sound too delirious here...I know what I'm trying say :)

I have a toaster oven on my work bench that keeps my jars nice and toasty. I restock the oven each time I use jars and this keeps a constant supply during a pour session. I take a jar at a time out and wick it and pour. I can pour quite a few jars in a short period of time and for someone like me with a small side business, that works just fine. I keep my jars pretty warm this time of year, due to the lower temps and the humidity here in the South. HTH.

Steve

I would not attempt to warm containers in a microwave because of the wicktab and because you are not supposed to put empty glass containers in a microwave in the first place.

If I understand your concern correctly, you are worrying about the wick wax melting? If your oven's lowest setting is too warm (use an oven thermometer to check the temp!) - over 180°F - then simply turn it off until the temp is cooler before putting the glassware in. ;)

Some folks simply heat up the inside with a heat gun right before pouring.

So help me understand - some of you are warming the containers, THEN wicking them? What are you using to adhere the wicktab? How does the glassware stay warm or are you wicking & pouring one at a time? :confused:

Edited by Stella1952

I use the heat gun on mine, it is the only way for me. I don't use the oven because the wax does want to melt off of the wick. I use the GE Silicone, so mine are pre-wicked prior to using the heat gun.

I am a very (emphasis on very) small candle maker, making palm wax candles, tarts, etc. I make these for our health food store and for right now, this keeps me busy. :yay:

Stella, I tried something different today based on the suggestions I received. I heated the jars, then wicked and poured. I actually liked it better. I was warming the jars with the wicks at 170 degrees and the wax on the wicks was melting. Thanks, Jeanne

Regarding warming glassware in the microwave: it won't work. The microwaves aren't absorbed appreciably by glass, so it won't warm up. The microwaves will only affect the things you don't want them to, like wick wax and sustainer bases.

The ideal way to warm glassware is in an oven with a thermostat that can be set to any temperature. Various types of smaller stand-alone ovens often have that. Conventional ovens typically bottom out at 170 F, which is hot enough to melt the wax off the wick and hotter than the glassware is supposed to be for pouring. The only option in that situation is timing. You can turn off the oven to control the temperature, or remove the glassware before it overheats and before the wick wax melts, or make it hot enough that you have time to wick the containers as they cool.

A heat gun works of course but I don't see how that's useful for more than a few candles.

Edited by topofmurrayhill