scales for weighing wax?

For the past 2 years I have used two sets of scales , ea purchased at Wal-Mart for $15? I can't remember for sure. OR was it $30? either way they are white cordless digital scales. Both eventually quit working properly, even with new batteries. I am no longer able to depend on the digital readout for a true measurement! This is scaring me because I don't know when it started happening and some of my batches could be incorrect! So far I have received no complaints, but who knows the damage that could have been done!

I was wondering if someone could recommend some good scales. And where do I get them? I am willing to spend a fair amount to get a reliable set. I am a very small, non business, candle hobby type person, so I don't have call to spend $250 on scales, but surely there is something out there?

I make batches from 1 to 3 lbs.

To weigh wax, I use the familiar grey postal scale; I've had it for some time, but I think I ordered it online.

For the oils I use a very precise scale (think it's called "jeweler's scale) that I bought at americanweigh.com I'm happy with both. Good luck!:)

I've been using the Escali Primo for years. The one I have now has been working fine for a couple of years - just have to change out the battery a couple of times a year.

They are carried by a couple of candle/soap suppliers and also on Amazon. I had the white one - had to be careful with the oils - a drop on the plate would start eating the plastic. I have the chrome one now and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

$30 and under (plus shipping) fits easily in the budget.

Islandgirl,

So I like the backlight feature. Do you have a problem with this scale shutting off too soon with the auto shut off? Can you turn that feature off? I am currently using a food scale and sometimes if I am slow putting things on there it will turn off in mid weigh so I feel rushed. Does this one do that? Thanks.

Here is the one I got..

You can get them on amazon for $37.00 and free shipping...

But the link below will give you the detail about it..

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-scales/kd7000-professional

Love the light.. Much easier to see and less squinting!!! LOL

It does have an adjustable or disable-able auto off feature. :cheesy2:

For the price it is worth it..

Make sure you purchase the AC Adapter so you don't have to mess with batteries.

Edited by islandgirl

Wax? The only thing I weigh is my oil. My pouring pot is scored with the amount of melted wax I need from my large melter for 1,3 or a full 6 candles. i have never weighed wax at all.

That's OK if you only make one type and size of candle.

Different story if you make several different sizes. Or when you're experimenting on something new. Then you need to know how much wax you have, so you can calculate how much FO and/or other additives to add.

I don't weigh wax. I melt it and measure it out in liquid ounces. 20 liquid oz. of paraffin is 1 pound. 18 liquid oz. of soy is 1 pound. I don't use a scale for much of anything anymore except shipping.

And even when making larger batches the same rules apply. It is just a different way of measuring that is just as accurate.

Edited by ScentedLuxuries

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001NE0FU2/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1JOKHZE1W04XW&v=glance

I was looking at the KD-7000 and found the KD-8000...I guess this one weighs to 0.05 oz (up to 282 oz i guess), most weigh to 0.1 oz, so I like that option. Also this one has a percentage weighing function. The cheapest I found it was on Amazon, so pretty sure I will buy this one.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I bought those scales ya recommended (kd-7000?) on amazon. The basic weighing I figured out, but it came with no instruction booklet! I know this is silly to you all, but I have no idea what the "tare" button does!....? CAn someone explain?

I know this is silly to you all, but I have no idea what the "tare" button does!....? CAn someone explain?

The tare button zeroes out the scale so you can start weighing whatever you're gonna weigh. For instance, put a melting pot on the scale, press the tare button to set it to zero, then add the desired weight of wax. You could use it to add more than one ingredient if you want, and press tare between each one to set the reading back to zero.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

oh okay, on my old scales i just mashed the on button and it did that! so that is what tare means.................thank you. I am having a hard time adjusting to the way these scales show oz. On my old ones I chose 1 1/4 oz for my oil per lb. On these I am choosing 1.3, I guess that is close to the same amount of oil. i am sure I will like it once i get use to it. Thank you all for the recommendation!

That is just one option on the scale..

There are other options where it can be 2 decimal points.

That scales weigh by lbs, oz, grams, kg...

It all depends what how you want it set up and what you want it to show..:cheesy2:

You have the scale set on the wrong option..

If you are only weighing 1.25oz..

Then set your scale to oz only.. Not pound:ounces..

That should help ya out...

Edited by islandgirl

okay, I bought those scales ya recommended (kd-7000?) on amazon. The basic weighing I figured out, but it came with no instruction booklet! I know this is silly to you all, but I have no idea what the "tare" button does!....? CAn someone explain?
The tare button zeroes out the scale so you can start weighing whatever you're gonna weigh. For instance, put a melting pot on the scale, press the tare button to set it to zero, then add the desired weight of wax. You could use it to add more than one ingredient if you want, and press tare between each one to set the reading back to zero.

Just to add.....the tare button makes it so you are only weighing your wax, not your pot. KWIM? Enjoy!