French vanilla candle help needed

I've made several french vanilla candles using GB 464 as well as a soy/para blend and various wicks (mostly CDs), and they all have the same issue that I don't know what to do. I use 16 oz wide masons and the Libby's pumpkin jar (I think it holds about 10 oz). I've gotten to where I achieve a full melt pool in the right amount of time, and the flame is between 1/2 and 3/4 inch, but they all get multiple mushrooms. Some are pretty big (I can tolerate a slight mushroom). I am currently testing 8% and 9% FO (from Fillmore). Should my next step be to decrease the FO load, or should I wick up (or down)? I'm beginning to think I'll never be able to make a decent french vanilla candle!:sad2:

Naomi

Vanilla is the worst for causing inefficient combustion (shrooms). If you are getting a great throw and all the other mechanics of your candle are working, then to heck with the shrooms. I bet if you bought a high end French vanilla candle it would give you the same result.....shrooms. Forget about it. HTH

Steve

Really?? And here I was feeling intimidated by the big commercial candlemakers!:rolleyes2

Last night was trick or treat night for our town, so I took the vanilla candle that was the worst with mushrooming and stuck it in our jack-o-lantern for over 4 hours. When I went to take it out, it was burning beautifully with hardly a shroom! Go figure. :confused:

Naomi

I think the FO load is the villain. How long does it take for these 'shrooms to develop? If you are happy with the throw and do not want to decrease the FO load, people will just have to trim the wick more frequently! ;)

If you want to try a different French Vanilla, I LOVE the French Vanilla & Amber from Peak. It needs to cure in the wax for about a week for best throw, which has been typical for all the ambers I have used.

Thanks, Stella. I don't feel comfortable giving away candles that mushroom as much as my french vanilla one (I don't sell...yet). I'll put the French Vanilla and Amber on my wish list. (I seem to order from Peak at least once a month even though I'm trying hard to ease up on spending. A sign of addiction, right?). Does the FV & A have a floral note to it? I want to keep the bakery emphasis.

Naomi

If bakery is what you are looking for, I don't think the FV&A would fit the bill. I wouldn't describe it as floral, but it definitely ain't bakery. I liked it because it wasn't a bakery-type vanilla fragrance. The amber made the French Vanilla smell much more complex.

Good luck & hope you get the candle & fragrance the way you want them. :)