for those using Turkey Fryers

Hello. I just bought a Masterbilt turkey fryer for melting my wax. I have always used Presto pots, but was looking to have a bigger melter and can't afford the really expensive water jacketed type. My question is...I use a thermometer that I have in the hole of the lid of the fryer, and it reads 200 degrees. However, when I pour the wax into my pouring pot and use my laser thermometer, it reads 160 or so. It also starts to cool down right away, past the point when I can add my FO (usually 180). What methods do some of you use that will keep your wax hot enough to add your FO and dye? Hot plate came to mind, but would like to hear from those experienced. Thanks so much in advance.

I use a hot plate. I use a glass carafe from a GE coffee maker that pours real neat and clean for my pour pot. I keep my thermometer in the pot to monitor and stir occasionally to make sure the fo and temp are evenly distributed. Works great. I love my Master Built. HTH

Steve

I did check...all four of them, and I am using a Ryobi Laser Thermometer as well...they all read the same...190 in the fryer, but I figured because my pouring pot is not heated as it would be in a double boiler method, that it is cooling my wax too quickly. Soooo...any help in letting me know what method other people use would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to take a step back and revert to my old method, as my sales have increased to the point where I need to increase my output speed. Thanks to all again in advance for any ideas.

We have 3 turkey fryers constantly full and heated to 200 when we're pouring candles. We pour into glass coffee carafes (3+#s at a time,) add dye and fo, stir and then have to wait a few minutes to pour. We pour @ 180. There is no way your wax could drop 40 degrees just by pouring it into a pouring pot. Check your pouring pot with your turkey fryer thermometer. Something is off! Carole

I do the same as Carole. Heat to 200 in the fryer, pour into pour pot, add fragrance, stir, check temp and pour. I did have problems when I was only heating it to 175 before pouring into the pour pot but now that I heat to 200, its fine.

Deb