Just Curious

:rolleyes:Hi everybody I was just sitting here noticing my kind of blackish walls where ever I have been burning candles for some time. Have you all noticed your walls seeming to turn a little dirty also??:shocked2::o:o Guess I will need to be painting more often.:smiley2:

Interesting you bring this up. Before I made candles, I used to only burn the art glass oil candles. You know, the very pretty glass ones that you only use unscented oil with... I always had the wicks down so low, they barely came out of the metal holder... and the soot that collected on that metal and my walls was terrible! :angry2: I had been told that these wouldn't soot! Since I've made my own candles and burned them, I haven't had that problem, but now, when I light one of the oil candles, I can notice smoke coming off the top of the flame, no matter how low I have the wick. Odd.

We repainted and I'm very careful now not to let any visable soot come off my candles. I realize there still is some, but I'm much more aware now. Some depends on the construction of your house and insulation. Mine was much worse on the ceiling where the rafters had insulation between but not over and the cold was coming in from the attic through the boards. Cleaning is almost impossible I found. It's a greasy kind of black. I feel for you...cleaning or painting..ugg. Beth

Ahhh Yes I have the same problem. My computer guy says he's never seen that kind of residue on the inside of a computer except mine. I didn't notice it till one day I went to wipe down a light switchplate and the sponge wiped the wall too...I was astonished...well once I did that then I just started wiping and then you can't stop...well I did and now you can see where I haven't wiped. This is creepy cause I even use an air purifier or at least that's the wording I paid for...obviously it's not that good!!!!!! :confused:

yeh it even it in my kitchen cupboards it is everywhere and our ceilings are 18 ft. high in the family room kitchen area, had them painted once this was before I realized what was causing this on the walls and ceilings.

Uggghh, I can remember that in my old house, that is when I had bought my candles frm retailers and burnt them all the time, it was so bad it was on the edges of my carpet, I thought it was from our fireplace but when I talked to a painter he told me it was from candles and he also said he charges extra to paint homes where candles have been burnt because he has to prime everything...boy that was a hard lesson learned