"Clean Smoke"?

Hi all~ I'm just about done with initial testing and am ready to let some of my babies go out in the world. Just one thing: we market soy candles as clean-burning, which of course they are compared to paraffin, but....inevitably there is some white smoke when I snuff out a burning wick, especially with a heavy fo. Do any of you have a nice, concise way of responding to people who say, "Hey! What's with the smoke? I thought these were soot-free?" I don't want to BS anybody, just want to be honest! THANKS~

Anytime you have combustion you will have smoke/soot. I haven't heard the term "clean smoke" before ... and don't know if that's a true statement.

Do not forget that there is a wick that is burning! Even though the wax won't produce soot the wick sure will...especially with some of the heavier oils OR if the customer doesn't properly maintain the wick. Just my opinion, but I think the term "Soot-free" is misleading the customer.

May I ask if you got the term from a supplier?

inevitably there is some white smoke when I snuff out a burning wick, especially with a heavy fo.
The best way to extinguish a candle is by dipping the wick. This is accomplished with a wick dipper, but any handy tool can be used so long as it isn't flammable. There is no smoke whatsoever and the wick is reprimed for the next burn. It also gives one a chance to recenter the wick before the wax resolidifies. Wait until the candle & wick have hardened before trimming the wick.
Do any of you have a nice, concise way of responding to people who say, "Hey! What's with the smoke? I thought these were soot-free?"
Being a smarta** from way back, I would probably tell them that "that's why we don't pay you to think." But that's not real diplomatic, so ya probably don't wanna say that...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: You COULD use the opportunity to EDUCATE them on ACCURATE facts about vegetable wax-based candles. Most people appreciate honesty and will return for it. I just hope they are not trying to reduce their "carbon footprint" by burning any kind of candles... :rolleyes2

First, there is NO CANDLE and NO WAX that does not produce soot/smoke when burned. It is a byproduct of combustion. Chemically, a hydrocarbon is a hydrocarbon, regardless of its origin. People who sell soy-based candles as "soot-free" are LYING, whether intentional or not.

"Cleaner burning" is also a dubious term. If one is using fragrance oils, dyes, etc., exactly what ARE the by-products of the combustion of those materials? It is a fact that paraffin produces some creepy chemicals when burned, but do those chemicals come SOLELY from the wax or are they part of the other ingredients of a given candle? One or two studies on one or two candles does NOT make conclusive evidence, especially when the studies are conducted by those with a vested interest in the outcome. ;) I suspect that people get exposed to far more indoor chemical pollution from other sources that are more frequently used - like any cleaning product, any aerosol, the foam in their furniture, the construction adhesives in their home, etc. This is where one has to employ critical thinking, common sense and a large amount of skepticism when reading studies and marketing claims...

Environmental marketing is huge these days and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon regardless of whether the claims are accurate. Just make GOOD candles, state the KNOWN, PROVABLE facts about them and let the quality of your products do the marketing - you'll do just fine. :)

Just one thing: we market soy candles as clean-burning, which of course they are compared to paraffin, but....inevitably there is some white smoke when I snuff out a burning wick, especially with a heavy fo. Do any of you have a nice, concise way of responding to people who say, "Hey! What's with the smoke? I thought these were soot-free?" I don't want to BS anybody, just want to be honest! THANKS~

While I appreciate Stella's post, I don't understand why we can't present a clear and direct answer to your question. Here it is...

If you want to be honest, you can't say that soy candles are cleaner burning than paraffin and you can't say that the smoke is a different color. Paraffin and soy candles give off the equal amounts of soot and the soot is identical. That is the simple answer based on scientific research. References upon request.

I'm very curious: now that you know what the reality is, will your desire to be honest and non-BS still prevail?

Well, yeah, I do still want to be honest and non-BS, although apparently it's an amusing topic somehow. :confused: That's the reason I posted the question--to find out more info. I never actually heard the term "clean smoke"--I just put that on the thread as a ha-ha kind of thing. My bad.

I know that dipping the wick is the best way to put out the flame, and I do that for my personal candles, but how many people who buy candles really do that? I'm trying to work from the mindset of the average yahoo who blows out the candles as they wander off to bed, you know?

Edited by Catlover

Well, yeah, I do still want to be honest and non-BS, although apparently it's an amusing topic somehow. :confused: That's the reason I posted the question--to find out more info. I never actually heard the term "clean smoke"--I just put that on the thread as a ha-ha kind of thing. My bad.

I know that dipping the wick is the best way to put out the flame, and I do that for my personal candles, but how many people who buy candles really do that? I'm trying to work from the mindset of the average yahoo who blows out the candles as they wander off to bed, you know?

It is kind of an amusing topic. Don't be angry though.. just take this opportunity to learn the truth. Soy isn't all that you apparently believe it to be... what many here have told you in this thread is the truth. They are not kidding you, and not "blowing smoke" up the wazoo.. they are being honest. We hope that YOU will be honest now and stop trying to sell your candles based on false information. Get the real scoop, not the hyped up one that made you believe that soy candle soot was any different than paraffin candle soot.. or even that soy candles are somehow better than paraffin candles!

Don't hate the messengers here... just doing our part to educate! :)

I wasn't angry at all--just bewildered that apparently I touched a serious raw nerve regarding soy cleaner-burning claims. Yes, I had read that before, from soy candle sellers naturally, (hasn't everyone?) but I wouldn't have asked the question if I felt it was the gospel truth! I joined the site to GET info, which is why I appreciate all the answers to this question, even if I came across as a mental defective for even asking it. :sad2:

Also, I haven't even begun to market or sell my candles, so I don't have to

be honest now and stop trying to sell your candles based on false information.
Gotta admit that one did make me say, "wait a minute". When I said I wanted to be honest, I meant that. I'm not trying to become a candle mogul--just to make a great product that people will enjoy, and thus far, this forum has been extremely helpful every step of the way.:)

just to make a great product that people will enjoy,

That is the bottom line. Your question was fine. We all try to produce a cleaner burning product and shouldn't have to apologize for how we go about accomplishing that feat. I use a parasoy blend because it works for me and because I want to use it. I promote my candles as being a parasoy blend, because that's what they are; not as a better environmental product. You simply state that your product contains soy and or other ingredients and let the product speak for itself. Customers enjoy my products and they come back and buy them because of that fact. I don't bother to tell them to dip or blow or trim or anything else. They burn the damn things for hours on end and they soot up their houses and they don't care. I may start making my candles with horse manure, if that makes a good candle.

Edited by chuck_35550
  • Haha 1

Flamin' poor noobs isn't gonna get anyone on Santa's list - all you'll get is more hydrocarbons in the form of ashes and coal! BUT... since we're in a flamin' mood today... here's a juicy bone for y'all to chew on....

I know now that there ARE soot-free candles because I was directed to this wonderful, lovely, informative site which HAS SOOT-FREE CANDLES!!! I know 'cause they SAID SO RIGHT THERE!!! AND they have big store locations up North, so they are PROFESSIONALS and should know about these things, right?

http://www.pureintegrity.com/soot-free-candles.html

Besides - they are called "Pure Integrity" which, because they are "pure" and have "integrity," I feel sure is 100% natural AND organic to boot!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

*...skips off hummin'... "Would I lie to ya, honey"...*

• Haha 1

Hey Top,

I am interested in this topic. Specifically because I am making parafin or parasoy candles and need some real facts. What sources would you suggest? Thanks.

Jamie

The basic fact is simple: a candle is a candle and they're all the same. As for proof, the newest and best information is at http://igiwax.com/uploads/candlearticles/07%20Okometric%20report.pdf

The original poster's question was about what to say to customers about the wick smoking when you blow it out. I wonder why anyone would ask about that. It's a candle -- surely they've seen one before.

So true. I tend to "borrow trouble from the future", so my inane question was just anticipating bizarre questions from future buyers.

I hereby adopt Chuck's attitude:

Customers enjoy my products and they come back and buy them because of that fact.
and
They burn the damn things for hours on end and they soot up their houses and they don't care.
:laugh2: I forget most people just torch up and go on with their lives...I've been spending too many months gazing into my candle jars at wicks and wax and flame....

I've been overthinking. Better to stick with getting the candles Just Right and move on. Have a super weekend everyone.

Terri

Well, the question kind of makes sense on the assumption that soy candles are something different from other candles. I think the takeaway from all this is that it isn't a valid assumption. Also -- where there's fire, there's smoke, but fire is good! :)

Good luck and stick around. Don't let us characters freak you out.

Interesting comments... It can be hard to try and sell yourself as a 'green' candle when by simply burning the candle chemicals are released. But making soy candles is a better alturnative. I have only had 2 customers this year who said they do not burn candles because of the carbon released and chemicals in the FO. I simply smile and tell them they are right - candle burning is not for them...

Anyway, I do happily share the benefits of soy with my customers - many do not know the benefits - and I educate them how to get the most out of their candles. This includes trimming wicks, optimal burn times, avoiding drafts, etc. (you all know this stuff) Anyway, when those burning tips are followed, it reduces visible sooting to virtually nothing.

So if a customer came to me asking about a sooting candle I would find out how they were burning & extinguishing it and them gently suggest solutions (back to the buring tips above).

Please excuse me for writing a novel. :rolleyes2