Wick Recomendation for 16 oz mason jar

Try a 14, but a 16 might end up working better. This is one to be sure to test burn all the way down because of the depth of the container. The 14 may struggle, but end up working great. Or not. Just gotta see what happens toward the end... :)

Edited by Stella1952

I'm having a great deal of trouble testing the CDn wicks in this jar. I thought it would be easy since my other jars ( 4inch elevations ) are all double wicked. But it's not easy. I thought 14 and 16 would work but there not . I am now testing 18 and 20. I can't believe it myself. The HTP 126 were too small and the 1213 were a bit large. After getting hooked on this site I stocked up on the CDNs . Most are doing well in the 18s and I get crazy when I think i may have to go to a 20. I use soy 415

Edited by lrbd

I am playin around with this wax in a 16 oz widemouth jar and a LX14 and 60z have been working. So far for me the LX has a better burn. I have some CD8 and CD10 wicks that I thought about trying...I read that this wax was really comparable to j223 without the wetspots. It is a beautiful wax..I let a couple jars sit outside in about 40 degree weather and they are still perfect.

I did some research on here but didn't come up with a whole lot..I would like to know your thoughts on this wax. I have only tested 3 scents so far and the scent throw is like J223 IMO.

HTH!

Emily

Edited by pwillo2

I'm having a great deal of trouble testing the CDn wicks in this jar.

Are you burning the CDN14s & 16s all the way down? I can only vouch for the wax I use, but a CDN 14-16 works fine. It will start out well, act like it's gonna dwon, then pick up steam al the way to the end. HTH :)

Here's the thing... And so help me I have searched and can't find it now, but a while ago I read the same thing from you I believe. (Don't hold me to it). That at the end it picks up steam. I even read where you wick down sometimes for the 16 oz mason ( taller)and up for the wide mouth jelly(shorter) .

But what I am finding (does this make sense at all) is that my wicks are running out of steam at the bottom.

Let me give you an example. I double wicked with two 12s Grandma's Country kitchen in a large 26 oz elevation jar. It was a blaze. So I did one with two 10s( oops CDN by the way) At the bottom maybe 1/2 way the tens puckered out and stunk like sulfur:angry2:.

The 12s then look great. Now I did two 10 in a 16 oz elevation ( much shorter ) and that did GREAT. Everyone says it doesn't matter the jar size only the diameter. Is that true? Cause the 10oz did better in the two 10 as well. all are 4 inch diameter. I am making myself dizzy.

Do you get what i am saying? I am finding were you wick down for the taller I need to wick up. Why is that ?

I found it :yay: But I am not getting these results I am backwards:sad2:My family would have field day with that comment:p:laugh2:

Re: Which size CDN to order.... - 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use CDN 14s for 8 oz. widemouth masons (NatureWax C3; 1 oz. FO pp; USA 1 Tbsp. pp). Sometimes can go down to a 12 in the 16 oz, depending. DO order the sampler - it's invaluable to have a selection. HTH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by lrbd

I've never had a wick smell like sulfur even when the devil was burning it!!!

For me, containers that are a lot taller than they are wide present some difficulties that more squat shapes don't... The 16oz. WM jar is NOT one of my favorites... Sometimes I can wick down to a CDN 12, but other times I have to wick up to a 16 - it just depends...

We burn candles all the way down when wick testing because the conditions inside the container at the end may be quite different from the beginning in terms of temperature, oxygen, etc. Some wicks fizzle out; others catch up and do quite nicely... it just depends...

Sorry you're having problems, but there isn't enough information in your post to make hide nor hair out of what's going on other than you sound like you're on your last nerve!! Let's start over and include ALL the details, please!! What kinda of wax, what FO/amt, any additives/amts, etc.? How long did you burn for each test session? Are you trimming the wicks to 1/4" before burning? I don't know the dimensions/shape of a 26 oz. elevation jar without looking it up (since I don't use it and we're talking about 16 oz. WM jars here). These details are important! It isn't the CONTAINER you are burning or simply the wick - it's the whole candle, KWIM?

all I am saying is that I find when I use taller containers I have less burning going on towards the bottom. I assume that is because there is less air. Reading your posts you seem to have the opposite going on. Yes I know we were talking about the 16 oz mason. Me too . Just got carried away.

other than you sound like you're on your last nerve!!
Sorry about that:sad2:

It's not as bad as it sounds . I just seem to be going back and forth and the conclusion is I have to wick for the second half of my candles.

Sorry for rambling

when I use taller containers I have less burning going on towards the bottom. I assume that is because there is less air. Reading your posts you seem to have the opposite going on.

When you speak about "less burning going on," I'm not sure what you mean - smaller flame, maybe? There is often less oxygen toward the bottom of a tall container, BUT the container heats up more toward the bottom (because the flame is totally inside and heating as the air from the flame rises to the top), so even a smaller flame can do a great job of burning the candle. This is what is meant by the candle "catching up" toward the end, especially with soy & palm waxes.