Finding recycled glass containers?

So, Im trying hard to make the most Eco-friendly candle possible for my company to sell... So far I've got a pretty good one... Glass jar, no plastic packaging, responsibly farmed palm wax and natural ingredients... My biggest problem is that I'd really like to stop using virgin glass. But it's been extremely hard for me to find any acceptable recycled glass containers for my candles... After many hours of searching, I did find a couple of less desireable designs at "wholesale" bit they were almost 500% more expensive than my regular jars... And I didn't REALLY even like them that much! Has anyone ever seen good affordable recycled glass jars?

How do you know for sure the ones from repliable companies aren't recycled ? Just because they aren't totting their own horns about "95% recycled" on their packaging how do you know they aren't? I've read some articles a while back on what constitutes having the right to say reclycled on the packaging and it's very misleading.

What you gain in environmentalism by using recycled glass (much glass is already recycled, BTW), you may lose in product safety depending on how the recycled (remelted) glass is manufactured. For product safety and protection against product liability, use glass that has been manufactured to meet or exceed ASTM standards for candle containers. If ya don't, be sure to carry a LOT of product liability insurance 'cause even an untalented lawyer would find a product liability lawsuit easy pickin's if the container is advertised as "recycled" but doesn't meet ASTM standards... ;)

If you REALLY want to help reduce carbon-footprint, don't make ANYTHING which has to be burned...

Edited by Stella1952

There is a WORLD of difference between recycled glass (remelted) and reusing glassware.

Refilling containers SEEMS like a good idea, but unless you refill the exact container that a customer brings you for refill, you cannot know what kind of conditions that container was subjected to by its previous owner.

Reusing glassware SEEMS like a good idea, but glass is subject to thermal cracking, especially when reused even under normal conditions. Many customers allow their containers to become overheated while burning them and are amazed when they suddenly shatter for no apparent reason.

I refill containers for my personal use, so I can vouch for how glass can be unpredictable after use. ;) When it fails, it doesn't always simply crack - it can shatter almost explosively! It is not cost effective for me to keep used containers separate for individual customers! There's just no way I would sell used containers.

If you are going to continue refilling, I'd suggest raising your product liability insurance coverage. Even an average attorney would have no problem getting a judgment in this case. ;)

Edited by Stella1952

I think your best bet might be encouraging your customers to reuse their containers after they're done burning the wax out. You might want to make up a little card or something with suggestions like holding buttons, loose change, etc... or maybe list the number of the nearest recycling center.

I used to offer $1.00 off for returns on the 8 oz Crisa tumbler. One time only per container and only on that container. It saved me shipping and I didn't worry about those thick containers weakening from one refill. Most customers didn't bother, some washed and cleaned, others brought them back in the worst condition. Chipped or cracked did not get refills but did get the $1.00 off bargain. I no longer carry those containers (no lids) and offer the salsa jars. No refills. I suggest they use them for potpourri or other items instead. I was never very comfortable refilling used jars.