scrubbies...no laughing please!

Lightning Bug

I have read the instructions for nylon net scrubbies online. I know only basic instruction (chain, single and double crochet and slip) and mine don't turn out very well. Mainly they won't lay flat. I bought one that is flat, round and double thickness and maybe 3" in diameter. I'd love to make this. Any help out there from you who crochet would be appreciated. Thanks. Beth

These are for scrubbing pots and pans, not bodies.

Edited by Lightning Bug
clearer

Hi all. Maybe I just do it too tightly. It just seems logical (of course it depends on the brain we are talking about ) that I would have to add more stitches as I get bigger and that's maybe where I mess up. Sometimes I think the directions think you already know how to do something so don't get real explanatory...and I seem to need every little thing written out. Going2Adopt, if you do get the (tell her easy) directions, that would be so great. Thank you. Beth

is this worked in round or is it more like a square, if youre working in the round and the ends are curling up, maybe youre not increasing properly, or not adding enough stitches this makes things curl up.

i think i know what youre talking about, ive never tried to make one, but i will try this morning after i get my kiddo's out of the house. I dont have any nylon netting, but lets see what i can come up with.

I know exactely what these are, i used to make them yrs ago for gifts. they are not hard to make. just netting, you do need the stiffer netting though since these are scrubbies for dishes. a good twine. i'm not sure if i still have my pattern or not. it's been yrs. :laugh2:i'll have to go through my craft totes..

i found several patterns for these, round and square. the one i like the best is

leave a long tail

make a square - chain 22, dc into each stitch across (dont forget to chain 2 at the end of the row or it will bunch up)

make 22 rows bind off leaving a long tail

sew together to make a tube

at each end take the tail and gather all around (stitch with the tail so when you pull it it gathers the ends together)

pull one end through tube to the other side it will turn inside out, then pull the other end so it scrunches up put stitches to hold it together.

hope that makes sense...it makes a nice full scrubbie with layers.

i like this because you can make them small or big depending on what you want to do with them.

Well, the one I had is no more. It was real frayed and I cut it apart to see if I could understand it better. Then my husband garbaged it. Humm. It was round and yes DeAnna, I may not be increasing correctly. I'll try the one below and see if I can come up with a keeper. At least I'll have a person to ask about a specific problem I encounter. These are supposed to take 15 min. or so to make. Right, this is about my 4th day! Just got more netting at WalMart, so back to the hook. Thanks again. Beth

If I ever get it down, I'll owe you all one!

Edited by Lightning Bug
adding sentence

i also saw a few round ones, that had the netting on one side then the cotton on the other, i believe they just stitched them together i really liked those, i might have to try them.

i always find it easier to increase with a square than with anything round, i really have to concentrate and use a stitch marker or i just get a big bunched up thingy.

http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/05/crocheted-dish-scrubbie-video-tutorial.html

scroll down to see the video.

i thought this one was really neat looking and very very easy to make. She only uses chain stitching and single crochets.

i think im going to make several of these and use them as bath poufs.

putting two different colors together and attaching a cord for hanging.

Those are very cute. Look to cute to use on pots. If you made them for bath poufs would you use cotton yarn or? Oh no, I'd better stick with pot ones as I thought I'd give them (if I can make them look nice )with pot holders and towels for stocking stuffers for the daughters-in-law. I'll have to spend more time searching the web. Thanks again for all the help. Beth

i made one bath pouf....with the cotton yarn and it was heavy, didnt lather but was tooo cute.

that is the biggest prob with making bath poufs right now, with everyone, the cotton just doesnt lather up and they do take forever to dry out.

im still looking for the "perfect" yarn for a bath pouf, not sure i'll ever find it LOL

I don't crochet.. But can make the pot cleaners and have for years. I found a way that works for me, I just tie the nylon strip, 3' wide, into a circle about the size of a quarter. Hold the tail/end and start stitching/crocheting or what ever you call it. When I have single stitched all around I just keep going around, stitching twice in some loops, pulling and stretching while I go. Doesn't look all that great but it works. The hardest part is cutting the net. I now hold the layer together with cloths pins and rubber band the cut pieces together till I use them. Much easier. My Mother-in-law use to make the puff ball pot scrubers out of net. Cut the net across the stack about 3" wide. She would then get some very heavy thread and strong needle to baste stitch in the middle of the 3" strip. I use dental floss. Usually took three layers/cuts of net. You can lay all three on top of each other and stitch at once. Then just pull the thread tight gathering the net tight, rap thread around several times and tie off. Again use the cloth pins to hold net while basting.

i made one bath pouf....with the cotton yarn and it was heavy, didnt lather but was tooo cute.

that is the biggest prob with making bath poufs right now, with everyone, the cotton just doesnt lather up and they do take forever to dry out.

im still looking for the "perfect" yarn for a bath pouf, not sure i'll ever find it LOL

How about cutting strips of the soft wedding type netting. Forget what it's called but it looks like nylon net but soft and pretty. Just cut into strips like the fabric rugs and baskets everyone use to make.

i think its called Tulle...that netting, i might have to try it with a a couple of different colored yards, i know the nylon cord/yarn would be way to rough on the skin, cotton is just icky for anything you wanna put in the bathroom, if i come up with something i will definitely post on it.

I make these all the time and sell them at craft shows.

Use size K crocket hook

Nylon netting comes in a bolt as does frabric. Purchase 3 yards of net. Netting is then cut into about 1 and 1/4 inch strips. Tie strips together to make ball.

To make the scrubbies: Chain 4 and join together.

Chain 2 and double crochet into circle (16 double crochet) join together.

Chain 2 and then double crochet twice into each slot (between previous dc) you will then have 32 dc.

Join together and knot, tucking in all excess ends.

I use smaller hook to do this.

Make two like this and then single crochet them together, knot and tuck in excess nylon.

I make these all the time and sell them at craft shows.

Use size K crocket hook

Nylon netting comes in a bolt as does frabric. Purchase 3 yards of net. Netting is then cut into about 1 and 1/4 inch strips. Tie strips together to make ball.

To make the scrubbies: Chain 4 and join together.

Chain 2 and double crochet into circle (16 double crochet) join together.

Chain 2 and then double crochet twice into each slot (between previous dc) you will then have 32 dc.

Join together and knot, tucking in all excess ends.

I use smaller hook to do this.

Make two like this and then single crochet them together, knot and tuck in excess nylon.

Does it take 3 yards to make one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. I have a bag full of various looking scrubbies. Some are prettier than others which are downright ugly. I think mtt's directions are the ones that I originally was trying to make. I just found out my "double crochet" wasn't really a double. So maybe that is part of my problem. Now, don't shake your head...is the chain 2 counted as one of the double crochets? Also, cutting this netting is really causing me to think about just going back and buying these from the original supplier! Thanks again. Beth