Pouring tiny pieces in cavity molds?

RichardLOZ

We are now just experimenting with some tiny molds to make wax fixins. Rosehips, cinnamon sticks etc. Given the fact that the rosehips are really quite small, how do you successfully pour into these molds. The pour hole is not very big at all and I can only imagine that I am going to get more wax on the top of the mold and on the table than in the actual cavities.

Would love the advice from anyone who does fixins or small embeds the size of rosehips.

Cheers

Richard

I have a very small pour pot that I put about 8 oz of wax in. It makes the pot about half full. I put the mold in some kind of flat bowl or tray to hold any spilled wax. Right now I sit it near the edge of the counter but plan to put it on some kind of platform to raise it up higher. I pour as slow as I can to try to get the wax just inside the cavities, but frankly mine are so shallow I always spill over. As soon as I've poured the mold I take this plastic "scraper" I found and run it across the mold to try to remove any excess wax. After the pieces have cooled I still have little bits I have to break off the finished piece but not as much as when I wasn't scraping the mold.

Thanks to both of you for the response. I figured that I would have to use something pretty small and even then spillage would still be an issue. Should be able to tell in a day or so as I am still waiting for my silicone to cure before I can unmold the real rosehips ready for pouring wax into.

I should be loads of fun pouring things that small...LOL

Cheers

Richard

I use the dixie cup method also and have very little spillage. I've recently made cinnamon sticks, cherries, almonds etc this way and it works well.

I do have to admit that I am very jeolous that you are making your own molds!! I wish I had the space to do that!! The possibilities would be endless!

Tina

Edited by pencilcreations

I never had spillage when I was making regular embeds. I've been playing with molds I bought on eBay to make a bag of very small pieces to use as melts. Tiny flowers and things. Smaller than a dime and about as thin. This is why I'm using the "scraper method" I described above.

They are cute but very annoying so I may not be doing them for much longer.

Well I did try the dixie cup or at least something similar that I could get here, and it seemed to work ok. Yes there was a little spillage, but I think with some practice it would get better. I was pouring into a tiny 7 cavity rosehip mold. Now that I know they work and that they unmold nicely I can go ahead and make a decent sized rosehip mold, followed by a cinnamon stick one so that we can do some hips & sticks jars / bags. No rush on that though as I dont think the Aussie summer is a likely time to be selling hips & sticks :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions......

Cheers

Richard