Does STRAIGHT KY Tart Blend ripple on top?

joanncat18

Hi there, I know there are a lot of people who use the KY votive/tart wax. I also know that a lot of people mix soy with it. I want to hear from those of you who use straight KY votive/tart blend on how it performs. Does it ripple on top? A small dimple is ok with me but I have been using the IGI votive blend (4794), and it is rippling quite a bit I am using 6% FO right now). I like a smooth look. Also, does it come out of the tart bowl well? I have read that it throws well and that a lot of people like it. Just wondering if it would be worth a try. My IGI votive blend I have been playing with a mix of different precents. I made a batch of about 12% Acu Para 30 (container blend) and the rest the IGI votive blend. This got rid of the ripples and they looked nice, but even in the freezer wouldn't come of of the bowl too well. I finally did get it to come out if there was 2 tarts melted instead of just one. A higher volume of wax came out easier than the smaller volume in the bowl. Then I tried just 8% of the container wax and there was still a lot of rippling. So tonight I made a batch with 10% container and 90% IGI votive, this is cooling now. We will see. For tart making I would really like to avoid blending waxes.

Beautiful tarts Soapfreak!!

I use KY's tart/votive blend but add 25% container soy (GB464). Love the KY wax but no matter how cool I poured (130) I was never able to eliminate the little dimples. Since I use the foil cupcake liners, I wanted a nice smooth top. Adding the soy was the only way I could achieve this. No problem getting the cooled wax out of the melter. I just score the wax like a pie and it usually pops right out. No freezer needed.

Karen

Ok, so how much dimple is a dimple when you talk about it? Anyone have a pic? Soapfreak...how did you get those colors?? Awesome looking tarts. I bet they smell good too.

I waited until the slushy stage , drop liquid color into the wax, stirred slightly then poured or smashed them into the mold. I then heated the outsides and tops with a heat gun.

There really isn't much dimpling at all, not enough for the customer to notice.

Edited by SOAPFREAK

I use KY tart wax because, well, it's fabulous! I do get the dimples you mentioned, and yes, I freaked out at first after having such smooth tops before...not one customer has ever mentioned them nor complained about them. I mean, really, they're going to melt them down anyway...

And, besides, dimples are supposed to be cute, righ? :P

I use KY tart wax because, well, it's fabulous! I do get the dimples you mentioned, and yes, I freaked out at first after having such smooth tops before...not one customer has ever mentioned them nor complained about them. I mean, really, they're going to melt them down anyway...

And, besides, dimples are supposed to be cute, righ? :P

I totally agree. Why fret over something that is going to melt within 5 min.? I really don't think the customers care at all either.