Questions about gel candles and clarification

diamondk

I am new to the gel world. When testing the FO the first round is 1 part FO to 3 part mineral oil and then the second round is 3 part FO and 1 part mineral oil. Is this correct? I have been researching and searching for information. Next question is if you use wax embedded does it matter what type of wax is used? Do you use gel wax for pie crust? I may ask more dumb questions as I continue my search on these candles. TIA

When testing the FO the first round is 1 part FO to 3 part mineral oil and then the second round is 3 part FO and 1 part mineral oil.

That's what I do. Actually I have two jars that I do it in so I do both tests at the same time. After you mix them I've read in a couple of places you should let them sit for 30 min to make sure they don't cloud or separate. The oils I've tested recently cloud immediately so I have not had to let them sit.

As far as wax embeds if you don't want a melted mess when you pour the gel, use the highest meltpoint possible for your wax embeds if you make them yourself. I use the IGI 1260 that is typically used to make hurricane shells. I found when I bought wax embeds premade they would sometimes melt on me which makes the finished piece not as pretty.

Also, if you make your own embeds and decide to scent them make sure you use gel safe FOs at gel safe ratios!

HTH

Jen