Favorite Vanilla?

OK, I know the vanillas have been discussed ad nauseum and I've prowled through dozens of posts, but can I ask once more: what is your favorite vanilla? I use GB 464 and I've been using CS Very Vanilla, which is great but maybe a little too....something. I like a strong fragrance, but there's something I can't put my finger on that makes it seem a little harsher :confused: than other vanillas. For instance, my daughter took a VV candle to her boyfriend's house (who supposedly likes scented candles),thinking, "Oh boy, vanilla is an aphrodisiac", and it wasn't even burning when he walked in and said, "Uh...what's that smell?", and not like "YUM! What's that smell?" That could just be a guy issue! :cheesy2:

Thanks for any opinions!

Terri

Very Vanilla is not only my favorite vanilla (and I don't much like vanilla), but it is my customers' favorite. SOS "Vanilla Supreme" was the former "People's Choice." JBN's old Mexican Vanilla was their third fave - dunno what their new one is like... JBN's scents have changed (and not for the better in most cases)...

If you want to change it, a vanilla amber might be pleasing; Lavender vanilla is another delightful FO.

I am not a vanilla lover either but ,especially this time of year, I sell a lot of Vanilla Velvet from BCS. In fact just had an order of 50 -8 oz candles I delivered on Friday. I was so glad to get them out of the house too as the whole place smelt of vanilla. :laugh2:

how would you do this for 1 lb of wax? I mean how much cinn. and how much vanilla. I have never done mixing before!

This is pretty easy... if you are using 1 oz. of FO per pound, then simply use half of one kind of FO and half of the other kind. If you are not pleased with the result, decrease the one that seems too strong and increase the amount of the other one.

I simply put my pour pot on the scale, tare and add the FO in the amounts I desire. If it's 50-50, I add 1/2 oz of one, then 1/2 oz. of the other. Easy-peasy. :)

If you want to see how two (or more) FOs blend together, put one drop of each on a Q-tip, put both Q-tips in a plastic bag, seal, shake, then open and smell the combined fragrance. :)

Thanks for the opinions! Since I still have most of an 8 oz. bottle of VV, I guess I'll give that one a try out in the world and see what people like. I can try another one for myself, maybe the KY one. I LOVE the idea of mixing it with cinnamon too! I've mixed cinnamon with apple before, and lavender with vanilla (nice), but that combo sounds super-yummy. I think I'm hungry...:drool:

This is pretty easy... if you are using 1 oz. of FO per pound, then simply use half of one kind of FO and half of the other kind. If you are not pleased with the result, decrease the one that seems too strong and increase the amount of the other one.

I simply put my pour pot on the scale, tare and add the FO in the amounts I desire. If it's 50-50, I add 1/2 oz of one, then 1/2 oz. of the other. Easy-peasy. :)

If you want to see how two (or more) FOs blend together, put one drop of each on a Q-tip, put both Q-tips in a plastic bag, seal, shake, then open and smell the combined fragrance. :)

I like blending cinna vanilla by using one part cinnamon to two parts vanilla. :cheesy2:

Yesterday I added a small amount of Thecandlemakerstores Home sweet Home(which smelled like clove to me) along with the Cinnamon and Very Vanilla and that smelled pretty good too.

I call it Spiced Vanilla.

Thanks for the tip about using q tips and FO in a bag Stella! I have wasted quite a bit of FOs mixing this and that in small bottles only to sniff and say yuck. lol

You are all so full of great advice here :) I'm so new to candlemaking and still have sooooo much to learn and have learned alot from this forum in such a short amount of time being here. :)

You're welcome, but I can't take any credit for that tip - I learned it here! For those of you who are relatively new, DO check out the "Candletech Links" in the box at the upper left top of each page right under the main banner. There is SO MUCH great info there that people miss... like this super article on scent mixing ideas or this one on comparing scent throws. On the main forum page, there is a link to the archives from the old CT board, as well as helpful hints for new folks, supplier lists, abbreviations, etc.!! The fragrance discussion forum has a LOT of information, too! :)

I mixed a cinnamon-vanilla the other evening, using the same amt. of fo--just half of each fragrance. For some reason, one of the candles didn't seem to absorb the oil very well--a few hours later I could actually pour some oil right out of it. Don't know what happened there; it looks OK now but I haven't burned it yet.

Could it be that tasty bourbon & coke I was sipping while making it??? :shocked2: No more cocktails until all the pouring is done!

Perhaps you didn't stir the wax enough after adding the FO...? Temperature has a lot to do with seeping oils... Was the room cooler or warmer than usual? Was the candle still warm? How does it smell? Did you stir your beverage as the ice melted?:laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952