Hot Throw question

Ok here goes a dumb question. I have read people sites that claim that there candles smell up a whole house. I am using IGI6006 9oz jar. I use between 6 to 8 % fo. I made a cream brule for my wife to take to work shes a groomer and works for a vet. The candle scent filled the front office area but not the back. My question is how do I know if Im getting a great throw. I feel very disappointed in the fact that I could not fill the whole clinic with my candle :mad: but then again Im still testing. Am i expecting to much? I made a pink sugar that filled her whole grooming area but that area is enclosed so I dont think that matters. The people work with her and I want the brutal truth I dont care about hurt feelings I just want to be good at this. I know test test test. Please send feedback...

I think you're asking whether it's worthwhile to test, test and test some more or if you're already getting the best you can get. Yes, the testing is worth it and it's unlikely you're getting the best results that you're ever going to get.

Quite a lot is possible with scent throw. I'm burning a small votive right now that is seriously scenting about 1000 square feet with multiple rooms, and that's just the largest area I've tried it in so far.

There are a lot of variables in all this. There's a lot to learn about how the container, the wax, the wicking and the fragrance loading affect your results, so just keep trying. And don't forget the critical issue of FO selection. Only a fraction of the FOs out there are real stunners as far as scent throw is concerned.

Every space is different. Whether you can fragrance the rest of the clinic with a candle in the waiting area is also going to depend on how the air flow and ventilation in the office works.

I really do appreciate all the info hopefully now I can get some sleep. My wife says the ventilation is bad lol. I bought the creme brule from starville because of the reviews and it was a better FO than the other 3 I had tried. She says they mostly use fans because the AC system is not that good. I mix it well and heat to 180 before adding the FO and am using zinc wicks. I will keep trying but I really enjoyed this FO and was hoping for the best. I am curing the candles for about a week as well.

Edited by almaga

As far as hot throw I think that it is hard for the scent to creep into other rooms, that are seperate, however if you have a large open area then that whole area should be filled with the scent.

LIke top said there are some scents out there that are really great throwers, but they are few.

HTH

I can't trust my nose anymore. I have had people tell me they can smell a candle a long way off and I can hardly smell it at all. Besides, I don't really think you want a candle that would cut off people's air supply. Strong is a subjective term. What I call strong might be overwhelming (ususally) to other people. There have only been a couple of candles that I have encountered that were as strong as some people describe and they mostly assaulted my senses (Votivo for one). What did everyone else say about the candle?

Well my wife said about 8 people asked where they could buy the candle so I guess thats good news. I agree with you I cant trust my nose at all my wife has to get on to me and say that its great. Im assuming it has to do with making them. I have been giving her most of the ones I have been making so I can get opinions from the customers since my nose thinks everything is soft lol. But I really think I expect to much out of what I do. Sometimes I tell her to smell the candle and you can see it blows her away but Im like huh its not that strong. I hear people saying oh my whole house was filled with this candle and thats why I was thinking mine were not strong enough.

I'm having the same problem, my sniffer no longer works the way it used to :sad2:. When my husband or daughter come home and I have a tart on the burner for "testing purposes", they can smell it right away, while I'm huffing and puffing, mad that I created another dud ! Think I'm going to keep a can of coffee nearby to cleanse the palate... I mean nose:laugh2:

I had a muscadine vineyard burning in my office and someone came in the door and stated that they could smell it all the way down the hall. I knew the office area was strong but didn't think anyone else could smell it. This is with a candle made the day before and no curing. The wicking on this first appears to be inadequate, because there is a small melt pool on first burn. The jar doesn't get very warm and there's a ton of hang up, but after the second burn the candle just settles in and soon there's a full melt pool no deeper than half an inch. I burned this candle almost a full 8 hours and never got a hot jar or any sooting. I think I've finally learned that a good candle doesn't have to eat up the jar right off the bat and that this makes for a much safer product. At least I feel its safe. sorry for the long post.

Steve

I once bought a candle from someone claiming her candle would smell my whole house...guess what? it didn't...it didn't even smell my master bedroom with the door close.

I am now burning a KY Apple Butter Clove and it is scenting my living room, dining room and hallway very nicely...about 250 sq feet...

Lol good to know that Im not the only one whos nose gave out. I appreciate all the information. I bought one from a local comany and I guess she adds to much FO because that thing was sweating like crazy I mean alot but I have to admit her cold throw was amazing but I guess it would be if your just wasting all that FO and the wax is pushing it out. I thought for a second shes been making candles for 10 years why whould she do that but she probably does it to get a strong cold throw??? I dont know I would assume she knows what shes doing alot of people like her candles but in my opionion I just dont understand why you would add that much if the wax is gonna push it out unless you really think that its gonna help your cold throw. I am talking about a company that makes alot of money doing this but after 10 years why would you do that?

Edited by almaga

One thing to consider in regards to how far the scent will move through the house. Is the airflow in the room, we've ran some tests in the past in which we used a fog machine to see how the air moves through our rooms. When we have the A/C & Furnace on and off, did see some varying results.

Since each house in unique, that's just another variable in the grand scheme of things..

I guess my question would be what jar is this in? If it is a tall, narrower jar like a hex or jelly jar then maybe not but if it is a short apoth jar then maybe. The larger the melt pool diameter the better throw you will get. I can "well" scent the entire 1st floor of my house (cape with open floor plan - 800 sq ft??) with an apoth jar but not with a jelly sized jar (can still smell it just not as strong as I would like), as long as both jars are wicked correctly.

I guess my question would be what jar is this in? If it is a tall, narrower jar like a hex or jelly jar then maybe not but if it is a short apoth jar then maybe. The larger the melt pool diameter the better throw you will get. I can "well" scent the entire 1st floor of my house (cape with open floor plan - 800 sq ft??) with an apoth jar but not with a jelly sized jar (can still smell it just not as strong as I would like), as long as both jars are wicked correctly.

wow, good point, something I never considered!