I used green... I'm getting... RED?!

Starr

I'll be sure to post an update on it in a day or two. I will say that I jumped the gun on the smallest bar of the first batch (that is now red) and used it after it had cooled and set a bit and it did not bleed. Will see if that remains after it finishes curing.

Another update however...

I just finished another batch of the same soap. Tried the green again, it turned red... again. Luckly, I had only added a small amount, I grabbed my TKB pop green and got quickly to work. It is now a GORGEOUS shade of green. I'm thinking it's something in the dye that just doesn't react properly with HP soap.

Edited by Starr

FD&C dyes have all different chemical properties, so not all of them are suitable for all applications.

You said you got these from C&S and I think the problem is that they don't do any soaping over there. They sell those dyes for use in MP and B&B applications. Some of them evidently are reactive when used in CP/HP and the color morphs.

To avoid weirdness, you should probably get your FD&C dyes from a supplier that specializes in soapmaking. There should be plenty of good options, but I personally use the Select Shades dyes from Tradewinds and get excellent results with them.

You're probably right. Doing HP is still a fairly new thing and I just used what I had on hand. Admittedly, it didn't dawn on me that C&S does deal only in a small way with soaping and only MP at that. I also did NOT anticipate green going to red but at least now I know. I was more concerned with "Did I do something wrong?" "Is my lye somehow still active and it did something?" etc... types of things.

Thanks for the advice!