Speckled Oxide and gingerbread fo question

rebeccajo99

I started playing around with powdered oxide in my soap. First batch... not so well. Lots of speckles, but only on the top of my soap. I was just going to chuck up this soap and make a chuck soap out of it, but have 2 quick questions.

1. should i cut off the speckles and throw that part away, or would it be safe to use in my chunks since it will be less concentrated.

2. I was going to make some green and red chunks as well for the "gumdrop buttons", but was not going to scent that because it will be such a small amount. Should I still put the Vanilla Stablizer in that since it will be surrounded by soap with the gingerbread scent.

Thanks in advance

can't answer either of your questions because I am still experimenting with melt and pour myself. However, to combat the problem with the powdered oxide, I add a little glycerin to mine in a cup then incoporate it into the warm soap. It worked like a charm for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about the vanilla stabilizer with the chunks but for peace of mind you could use it there too.

The speckles are safe to use and might add some visual interest to your soap-

Speckles just happened to me with my hot process soap and it actually looked kind of cool.

I know sometimes my violet colored liquid dye causes speckles in my finished soap. From what I have found is when I remelt/repour it the speckles blend in and disappear. I am not sure if the powders will do the same but it might be worth a try.

Also, if you are using a brown tone in the gingerbread scent I would stay clear of the stabilizer. I tried making a light tan/dark ivory OMH soap once and added the stabilizer so it wouldn't darken and ended up with an army green colored soap. Thank goodness I have monster truck molds...the little boys loved it!

I know sometimes my violet colored liquid dye causes speckles in my finished soap. From what I have found is when I remelt/repour it the speckles blend in and disappear. I am not sure if the powders will do the same but it might be worth a try.

Also, if you are using a brown tone in the gingerbread scent I would stay clear of the stabilizer. I tried making a light tan/dark ivory OMH soap once and added the stabilizer so it wouldn't darken and ended up with an army green colored soap. Thank goodness I have monster truck molds...the little boys loved it!

A darkened OMH is awesome!! :) I tried the stabilizer once too for that...I ended up with camouflage soap! LOL Kids loved it too.