Dried Rose Petals

TheWickedWick

This is from goplanetearth...

http://www.goplanetearth.com/faq.html

I bought some of your melt and pour goats milk soap last month. I melt the soap over a double boiler and after the soap has cooled down a little bit I am adding rose petals from my garden to the soap base. I thought the pink and white combo would look pretty and smell great! I am having a problem with the rose petals. The petals turn green as soon as they hit the soap base!! What am I doing wrong???

Actually, you aren't doing anything "wrong". Soap making involves a chemical reaction between the ingredients used, this includes additives such as fragrance oils as well as herbal/plant materials. It is not uncommon for many dried (and fresh) herbal/plant additives to turn finished soaps brown. This discoloration can occur within days or may take several weeks. We have experienced this when adding dried rose petals.

It appears you are using fresh rose petals. We are guessing that the "green" color is based on a chemical (perhaps alkaline) reaction between the plant material and soap ingredients. You might want to use silk rose petals instead with a rose fragrance.

Edited by kestagano04

You can make petal soap with silk rose petals and clear M&P. It doesn't turn brown. You wash with the petal soap and toss it. Hawaiiansun makes some ultra gorgeous petal soap. She puts the petals together to form a rose and sells them in a cute corsage containers.

Thanks for the replies....I had a feeling they would turn brown. I have a batch of Love Spell soap I tried to dye lavender. Unfortunately my violet dye came out a dusty grey color :(. I was going to remelt and add red rose petals but that might just make things worse. Trying to salvage this batch. Any suggestions? Tried to swirl using clear M&P before but was never successful. Want to use the Old Fashion Mold from WSP (rectangle with ridges).

Karen

I was using Southern Soapers Violet Liquid Pigment-Ultramarine. Used 10 drops in 18.6 oz of GM base. Was afraid to add more..wasn't sure how much was too much. Do you think remelting and adding more would achieve the color I'm looking for? Not sure how much I can add before over doing it. Thanks for your help.

Maybe somebody who uses the same type of dye as you can chime in with better advice than I can give.

I use TKB's Lavender Liquid Concentrate. The label on my 1/2 oz bottle states - "Recommended Dosage: 1 floz per 20 lb of soap". I've made about 5 lbs of soap with it so far (both clear and opaque), and the bottle is still really full (almost at the top). Unfortunately I can't remember the specific amount of drops I added per lb. I eyeball it, but I know I'm well within the recommended dosage, otherwise it should be half gone.

Does your bottle give any specific instructions?

Edited by kestagano04

I've fought with "purples" too. With the liquids, they have always ended up ugly greys. You might try adding red to see if you can get anywhere with that. If you're lucky, it might turn a dirty/dusty rose color.

I've used a purple mica in a 3-layer goat's milk m&p bar and was very pleased with the results at first--then the purple started to migrate into the surrounding layers. So, I hope you'll post your results with liquid purple from TKB.

Other than that, you could chop it or shave it and used it for embeds.

Sockmonkey...I'll let you know how TKB's purple does. Didn't think about adding red...I've got nothing to lose at this point maybe I'll give it a shot. I've never been overly fond of the scent "Love Spell"..way too sweet and overpowering for me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• 11 years later...

Please help!!! I am so thankful to have found this thread while searching for answers online. I am just beginning my soap making journey and I also had my dried rose petals turn green and some brown in my soap. I understand from comments here that it's a chemical reaction that seems to be normal, but does this mean my soap is now ruined?

1 hour ago, Crystal78 said:

Please help!!! I am so thankful to have found this thread while searching for answers online. I am just beginning my soap making journey and I also had my dried rose petals turn green and some brown in my soap. I understand from comments here that it's a chemical reaction that seems to be normal, but does this mean my soap is now ruined?

Not ruined, just not as you envisioned.