Advantages of Double Wicking?

Hello,

I just saw some beautiful candles and the maker used a round jar about 3" high x 2 1/2" wide. Their candles were double wicked and I was wondering why they would double wick a small jar like that? Does it increase the scent throw or result in a better burn? I am asking since my understanding was that you would only double wick if you had a bigger and wider jar... If someone has any knowledge of this I would be so grateful for an answer!

Many Thanks!

milla

It could be DW'd because of the FO which might be too heavy for a single wick even in a jar that size. The number and size of wicks needed is dictated by the container and its shape and size and by the FO. Try wicking Tennessee's Warm Organge Gingerbread with your normal wick in your normal jar and you will see an FO that is very heavy and needs to be wick up. This is an FO that I can't single wick in one of my jars regardless of the wick I use.

DW'ing can give you a more consistent burn and can be useful for those more hard to wick FOs. I think some might be hesistant to DW because they don't know how. But being DW'd does not mean that the person was too lazy to find the right wick. ;) DW'ing isn't always the best choice either. You have to test to see what works best. With soy, it can be hard to single wick a jar that is over 3" and get a consistent burn. DW'ing can be a great alternative for those larger jars or heavy FOs.

at one time, early on in my quest for the best wicks..

i had about every wick availabe, tring to find that perfect one..

i use soy wax..and it can be a pita to wick..

but i have finally narrowed it down to the wick i like best..

so i just experiment until i get it right..and some times it takes

a lot of experimenting...

I love double wicks. I think they burn better and have a better scent throw. I avoid mainstream single wicked candles because I have yet to be impressed by one. Yankee is double wicking now.

thats news to me..&...theirs was notorious for tunneling...

i

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

I love double wicks. I think they burn better and have a better scent throw. I avoid mainstream single wicked candles because I have yet to be impressed by one. Yankee is double wicking now.

To each his/her own, but I have not had problems with single wicking burning well and maintaining good scent throw. Perhaps you have just stumbled on candles that were not properly wicked in the first place. I think people may not have the patience to find the right wick for their candles. ;)

Unless a candle is over 4" or simply cannot be single wicked, I would not consider multiple wicks unless it was for an oddly shaped candle like a heart, etc. We single wick our 6" pillars with great results. I have not used a FO that required a double wick... but different wax/FO combos may be tougher than others.

Personally, I don't use YankMe candles as a standard. They are a good, highly marketed, overpriced commercial candle.

Edited by Stella1952

A single wicked candle, if properly wicked, should burn well. It still comes down to what works for your jar, wax, wicks and FO and you hope the person tested to figure it out. If you find single wicking works, then great. If you find that DW'ing works , then great. I carry different containers and in some I single wick and in some I DW. We all can't base our experience/preference as gospel and the all to end all. You have to test to figure it out and what you find will always differ from someone else. Its all part of the fun/madness.

Yes, Yankee came out with double wicked containers about a year and a half ago. Funny that the jars they chose to DW are not nearly as wide as the standard jar they have always used. That was the jar they should have DW imo.

Yankee's double wicked containers look like a tall drinking glass with a flat silver lid. I think other vendors were calling them Madison style jars at one time.

It all depends on the wax, fragrance and jar combo. To each his own on how many wicks they want to use. Double is just my preference and I test every combo that I sell. Some style jars are single wicked but I would not consider myself lazy because in a particular style jar I am happier with the results of using two. Customers rarely maintain candles the way we do. So if they are not following your burning instructions then they may not be getting the great results you are. That is another reason why I think double wicking is more user friendly.

I do agree with the above posts. I didn't mean to use Yankee as the standard of quality more like the most well known candle on the market. If they are double wicking now then obviously there must be a demand for it.

Edited by funkymonkey66
spell

Hi Stella,

If you don't mind me asking, but I think I would like to try out the Cdn's that you recommend as you use the same wax as me, c-3. I always buy my wicks from only one suppier as I know that the same exact wicks bought from different companies can be different wicks with the amount of coating they put on the wicks. I highly value your opinions and always look forward to reading your posts. Would you mind telling me where you purchase your cdn's from? Thanks Stella!

Trapp

For sizes 8-22, I order from JBN. They have a sampler pack of 5 of each size for testing purposes. For the most common size that I use, I ordered a country sh*tpile of 'em from WickIt. You can request samples of the sizes not carried by JBN for testing purposes. Wicks Unlimited also carries them, but I have not ordered from them...

Let us know what you think if you sample them. :)

Edited by Stella1952