Golden Brands GW444 test result thread

Spoke to my DW about the residue, and what she thought about it inan aesthetical way. She then gave me her opinion about what women want in a candle:

1. It smells good.

2. It burns a long time.

3. It doesn't burn weird or drown the wick, or otherwise does not burn completely.

She thinks it matters not if there is a residue on the jar. She points out that when she has had YankMe candles, or seen YankMe candles in action, they always have alot of soot layered inside the jar. I even saw this once for myself.

We were getting the Geekmobile repaired at a Honda dealer, and went into the service department waiting room. The cashier was there, and had a YankMe candle burning. We mentioned to her that the waiting room smelled real good, and she looked at the candle and said, "Yes, I just love burning candles!" We looked at the candle, and it was literally black with soot! :shocked2: Also, the wick was a mile long!

I wondered at first if we, in our zeal to make the Perfect Candle, look at something like this residue in the jar as unattractive, and would turn off a buyer, or maybe a return customer. Then I think about what my better half said, and about the YankMe candle, and then I don't worry so much...

As long as the candle smells great, and offers a good value to the user, and of course has a minimum of good looks, we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves.

Anyway, I am...the geek :cool2:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I will have two similarly configured 8 oz jelly jars. Each jar has 9% Candlewic Potpourri FO. Jar on left is MC soy with 3% BW, heated to 185, add FO, stir and pour at 130. Jar on right has plain GW444, heated to 175, add FO, stir and pour at 130 also. I decided to pour both at same temp for a fairer comparison.

After cooling, the GW444 had the same sinkhole as the previous jj pour had. The MC has a depression and circular cracking. Both could be poked and heat gunned for a smooth finish. I am still getting a much better cold throw from the MC then the GW444. That seems odd since alot of you are getting great cold throw. I must be doing something differently, eithe that or my basement is getting too cold.

Pic is below. Next test, I will poke, heat gun, and wick both with HTP104.

post-116-139458387482_thumb.jpg

am still getting a much better cold throw from the MC then the GW444. That seems odd since alot of you are getting great cold throw. I must be doing something differently, eithe that or my basement is getting too cold.

Geek

I dont think that is too odd. I have never used the old MC soy, but I did recieve a tester of the new plain 435 from Jason. I thought that it had a stronger cold throw as well. It looks a little uglier than the 444 (have not burned the 435/BW combo yet),its pitted but no cracks, but I think that the hot throw is just as good, maybe better. And it is leaving less hang up in my jars. I will have to burn the 435/BW that I made and see if that helps. These waxes have all been pretty easy for me to wick so far which is the biggest problem that I was having with my old wax.

I have a small house right now, so I can't burn too many candles at once, all the smells start to melt together. What do you think about the 449?

angela

What do you think about the 449?

I failed to ask for a sample of it, but Jason said he would send me some to compare when we spoke last. I requested the 430, which actually is palm stearine. I thought it was a palm wax I could make a candle with. Shows you how much I know! :embarasse

the geek

Yesterday I poured GW444 used 16oz wax using 1oz Orange Chiffon Cake F/O form Snowtop with 5 drops yellow and 2 drops red liquid clolor using a 60c wick. I heated to 180- added F/O at 175 then added color. Poured in jras at 125-(two 8 oz jelly jars) got smoooth tops- no sink holes no frosting- good scent in cooled jars will test burn after they have cured and post results.

Geek

We were getting the Geekmobile repaired at a Honda dealer, and went into the service department waiting room. The cashier was there, and had a YankMe candle burning. We mentioned to her that the waiting room smelled real good, and she looked at the candle and said, "Yes, I just love burning candles!" We looked at the candle, and it was literally black with soot! :shocked2: Also, the wick was a mile long!

Don't let a good opportunity slip away. The next time take a candle to the dealership and turn her on to the world of soy. She'll thank you later. After burning one of yours, she'll probably be a customer.

Looking at the pictures I get the same thing with plain 415 and beeswax when I pour too hot or too fast. I did notice that around the edges they are smooth. I know most of us are just testing still, but did you discover yet if you need to wick up or down. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some soon. I really hate waiting for the wax to cool so I can pour.

John

Good morning everybody! Just my two cents so far...yesterday, I poured 1 lb of the 444 yesterday with 1.5 oz. of monkey farts (MC) in one 12 oz. container double wicked with 83's and one 6 oz. container wicked w/one 83. Heated wax a little hotter than usual @ 200; cooled at 175 to add f.o.; poured at 115. Sorry no pics but the 12oz. had a sinkhole between the wicks and there was cracking around the wick of the 6 oz. container. I heatgunned them both and the surface turned a little rough. Cold throw was light (I'll add bw to the next batch).

This morning, I noticed wet spots on both containers and the cold throw did improve. I'll burn them later and give info.

Test burned the Orange Chiffon Cake made with GW444 after 19 hours cure time - Scent throw was good and had 1/4 in. melt pool after 2hrs. I like this wax but checked Millcreek's site and it is much more expensive than the 415 plain soy. I am happy with 415 so don't see enough difference to change.

Just a note before I can get more pics posted.

I heat gunned both jj's and wicked with HTP-104. After heat gunning, the cold throw for both candles were the same; that is, the cold throw for the MC soy got a little worse, and the throw for the 444 was a little better.

After two 4 hour burns, the hot throw for both were very good, and were nearly equal. The 104 was a good choice, however there was medium sized mushroom on both wicks. Probably will need to reduce FO to 6-7% instead of 9%. I may even try wicking down to a 93.

I like the 444, but I can't quite get beyond the lack of cold throw. I fear that the first impression someone gets of a candle is a deciding factor when buying. Everyone else here gets great cold throw, so maybe it's me. I'll probably continue to test it to find the right heating/pouring temp, buying additional ten lb from MC, but will continue to use the plain MC with BW till I can make it work. I will not give up! :cool2:

your geek

I poured 449 last night, FO So. Apple Pie, poured at 155. This morning there was the most beautifully smooth top! but.....the sides of the jar had a lot of frosting. The house was cool, 66. Could that have done it, or just the "soy thing". The cold throw was wonderful! But so was my other 444 cold throw. Of course it was dreamsicle, which has been a strong FO.

ps got my samples, Jason, thank you!

I received my was yesterday and was able to pour the GW 444 tonight. They set up great. Did have to heat gun the tops but no big deal. I have them setting in my dining room and everytime I walk in their I can smell an excellent cold throw. I can't wait to burn them. I sooooooooooo wan this wax to work so that I can go to one wax instead of mixing. I currently use J50 and another soy blend. I like them but it is so hard to cut the J50 so the flakes would be a big plus as I am not the strongest person.

Will let you know how the burn is...

Oh and thank you so much Jason for the samples. I really appreciate it alot.

julwid

I wanted to compare the 444 to the 415 (MC soy) straight up, with same jar, same FO, FO load, same pour temp, and same wick to compare cold and hot throw. Also I wanted to see if the 444 would require wicking up or down as compared to 415.

So far, both are burning similarly, with slight nod to the 444 in hot throw. The cold throw for both now are the same, although strangely enough they did not become the same till I heat gunned them. Before that, the 415 had the much better cold throw.

I'v been busy with finishing Christmas present candles and gearing up for a possible HUGE fundraiser candle order to post pics yet.

the geek :bliss:

Ok said I would post as soon as I tested GW 449. 9.9 oz Victorian Jar. 8. 4 oz wax, .07 FO, Chestnuts & Brown Sugar from JS, RRD 47 wick, no color. The cold throw was good, awesome hot throw filled my house but found that my wick kept trying to go out. I had to pour some wax out a couple of times to keep the wick going. I'm thinking this one I need to wick up on. I've got a couple more poured but waiting for them to cure will post as soon as I have results.

HTH, Cindy/WI

I got my wax yesterday and poured a test candle of each. 9.9 oz Victorian Jars. 8.4 oz of wax, .07 FO (Captivatingly Currant, Chestnuts & Brown Sugar from JS) RRD 47 wick in each. I checked on them this morning. I did have some wet spots but nothing major, I'm thinking it was b/c my work room is in the basement and it's getting cold & snowy here in WI. I also had small holes in the top of each one but nothing a heat gun didn't take care of. I wasn't going to burn these for a couple of days but decided to just check and see if I could use the same wick with this wax. Right now I'm burning CC and oh my god the scent throw is filling up my whole house of 1500 sq. ft.!!! If this is a sign of how this wax is going to do I'm all for the switch!! I will post results on the GW 449 as soon as I test burn it. HTH, Cindy/WI

Ok, did another pour with the 444. Much better results on this one. Heated @ 175 added f.o. (eggnog-candlemaker's store) and poured at 150 like Jason suggested. This phase is so easy to do. Only poured one 8 oz. frosted jar and the top was beautiful...no pitts or cracking. However, since this wax is a little tricky to wick, I used a larger wick (1212) and the flame was a little too high for me inspite of cutting it a little short but about 1/2 hour later it was burning like a champ. As a matter of fact, eventhough this is a large wick, it didn't achieve quite a full melt pool after 3 hours of burning. width of jar is about 3 1/2 in...so I'll do another burn and see how it goes. The hot throw is excellent. More later.

HI everyone!!! thought I would bring in findings,,,,I did the 423 first as Pillars are my favorite,,,,

Okay,,,,3x6.5 mold,,,24 flat ply flat braid, 1 oz Vanilla Passion FO to 1LB 423,,I did NOT add anything to it,,,wanted to try it without adding any other wax,,,Set up real good,,poked hole reliefs,, did one re-pour,,,It has been burning now for 3 hours,,,,I have a great melt pool and I have 1/4 inch walls,,,Burning very good!!! The cold throw is great and the Hot Throw is awesome!!!! I have found a new love,,,,this pillar wax,,,

HI everyone,,,wanted to let you know that about half way down my pillar blew @ halfway,,,So back to the drawing board for 423,,gonna add some paraffin this time,,,:undecided

Hi Breanna and everyone else too:)

Have you tested the 444 yet? I'm very anxious to know if you like it the same or better than the 449. I've experiemented all day with the 444 with mostly good results. The only advice I could find online was to pour at 110*- which was slushy but set up very nicely - except the top was frothy and uneven. Heat gun helped but surface is not smooth and creamy like I would prefer. Sure glad I hunted until I found this forum. Thank you, Linda