Golden Brands GW444 test result thread

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally had a chance to pour some 444 test candles. Poured 3 test with 444 use NG French Vanilla at 8.5%, 1 drop liquid ivory dye Peaks and 9oz hex jar. Poured 1 @ 160, another 155 and 150. All had smooth tops and all had the dreaded circular surface cracks. What I did notice was the cooler the temp the further out to the edge of the jar the crack was moving. No sinkholes at all.

Did a few test burns the first was with HTP 105 melt pool was a little shy of the edge of the jar after 2 hours, next I drop in a HTP 1212, flame in my opinion was too high and too hot full melt pool after 1 1/2 hours. Dropped back to the HTP 105 exercised a little more patience, after about 3 hours the melt pool was wall to wall and about 3/8 inch deep. No hang ups and I didn't notice any unusual residue on the sides of the jar either. Next time I'll pour about 135, 130 and 125 to see what happens, I'm thinking that should do the trick at one of those temps. I only had to wicked up 1 from my normal Plain 415 and HTP 104. To 444 and HTP 105. Throw was very good cold and hot.

HTH

Keep on Pouring,

John

• 1 month later...

Well because this golden wax is so different from my normal, here I am searching for information on the wicking task. May be the patchouli which I used to test scent throw of the 444 wax. but so far these are the wicks that have plugged up. @ a {70/30 blend }

HTP 83

htp 93

htp 105

z-51-32-24

This was not the case with a 50/50 blend of IGI wax and golden. 51-32-24 worked as long as I did not trim the wick to 1/4 inch. so wicking up should fix that. I'm trying to get a 70/30 blend so I can keep the bright colors. Something else I've noticed. The candle burn time has dropped alot! So if the burn time drops too much by using XXX size wicks, and scent throw cold is only fair for a modern wax plus give up bright colors. What are we trying to do? I'm sure we'll get it to burn, but what $$ are saved by using it may be lost in sales. I'll keep testing it and keep checking this board as most of you know more then me and should I find the magic bullet. I'll post it. :highfive:

I poured my testers at around 150. They set up beautifully but did have some small hairline cracks that I was able to get rid of with the embossing gun. I don't have any wet spots either. So far the ones I've tested had horrible sink holes that were not apparent since the tops were so smooth. I'm not getting a full mp - I know that part of this attributed to the sink holes but I am also testing new wicks I got from WickIT so the wicks could be playing a part in that too. The cold throw isn't as good as my usual wax and my first burn 3 days after pouring resulted in a slight hot throw. I burned Warm Vanilla Sugar and Smoke & Odor Out. I burned them again the next night, and could smell the WVS alot better than the night before. So far, I think the hot throw is pretty good and like this wax. Next time I will pour around 130 since folks seem to have good luck with that temp.

• 2 weeks later...
No frosting, and no wet spots that I can tell. The wax seems to stick to the jar really well, probably due to the relatively hot pour temps. It doesn't look at all like my other candles with MC. If I look at the jar, it has a uniform appearance, which is either the wax sticking real well or one HUGE wet spot! Based on having to remove the wax and remelt, it is sticking well, and no wet spots. I'm impressed so far.

Also, the cold throw didn't seem real strong to me, but the hot throw just as good or a little better than MC with the BW.

What is MC and BW?

What is MC and BW?

MC is abbreviation for MillCreek Soy wax Supply in Kewanna, IN. Their 100% soy wax they sell is the Golden Brands 415, which many other soy wax wholesalers sell under their own label also. BW is beeswax. I use BW in the MC soy to improve on the cold and hot throw, and to a lesser degree to smooth out the tops when pouring hot. Also hardens the wax so it burns longer. Usually 3% is the max one can use befoer the candles start cracking.

HTH! geek

• 1 month later...

Hi all - first post - I've been reading all the great info about 444 and it's been very helpful. I've been using MC 415 for almost a year, and didn't even know about the 444 until recently. There's no way I can go back to the 415 (since I lean toward being obsessive about having smooth candles).

Does anyone know of a place in Georgia where I can get the 444 so the shipping costs are not so much?

Thanks.

Hi all - first post - I've been reading all the great info about 444 and it's been very helpful. I've been using MC 415 for almost a year, and didn't even know about the 444 until recently. There's no way I can go back to the 415 (since I lean toward being obsessive about having smooth candles).

Does anyone know of a place in Georgia where I can get the 444 so the shipping costs are not so much?

Thanks.

Welcome to the board! Here is a link to a supplier by state list that could help out. You may find a supplier in KY that has it.

http://www.candleandsoapstuff.com/Su..._by_State.html

geek