Golden Brands GW444 test result thread

Got around to pouring a couple of test candles with the GW444! Hopefully we can talk our esteemed Moderator :grin2: to pin this up and everyone who got GW444 can post test results!

For me, I heated 1 lb of GW444 (nothing else added to it) to 180, removed pour pot from water, added 1 oz Peak's Apple Jack n Peel, stirred for about two minutes, then stirred occasionally till the temp dropped to 140, then poured 12 oz into a 16 oz widemouth apothecary jar and 5 oz into an 8 oz jelly jar. Both jars were at room temperature, ab 70. Allowed to cool overnight. First picture is the apothecary jar:

post-116-139458386527_thumb.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to heat gun the jj, wick with LX18, and test alongside another jj with MC soy (415) with 3% BW, Apple Jack n Peel with same wicking, to test wick and hot throw.

To be honest, the cold throw was not as good as with the MC soy and BW, but I will see how it works when burned.

I cut out the wax from the apothecary jar to see if there were hidden sinkholes, and found a small one, but otherwise looked good. Also, as a side note, pouring hot must have made that wax really stick well tot he jar, because I had the hardest time digging it out! For all the candles I poured cloudy/slushy/cold, and had to dig it out, it came out in chunks, and did not stick to the glass much at all. Anyway, I'm remelting, and will repour at 130 this time. I will report back! :grin2:

Re: the 444, did you get any frosting, wet spots on your jars. THanks for the posts!!!!!!

No frosting, and no wet spots that I can tell. The wax seems to stick to the jar really well, probably due to the relatively hot pour temps. It doesn't look at all like my other candles with MC. If I look at the jar, it has a uniform appearance, which is either the wax sticking real well or one HUGE wet spot! Based on having to remove the wax and remelt, it is sticking well, and no wet spots. I'm impressed so far.

Also, the cold throw didn't seem real strong to me, but the hot throw just as good or a little better than MC with the BW.

I am going to pour a couple of testers today, with some color, and one I am going to add some BW to. I am going to try pouring them both at 130. So maybe will have some results tomorrow. Thanks for the info so far Geekrunner, it is very helpful.

I burned the 444 yesterday, made with Orange Dreamsicle and colored orange. The hot throw is wonderful. But when they cooled I did get a white line where the meltpool was. I think 130 is a good temp to pour at. I did pour at 120 but think I could have gone hotter. :P

Here is closeup of the mushrooming on 2 x RRD37. The mushrooming is very small, then MP is 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep, and throws very well. After solidifying, the MP discolors to a slightly darker color than the unmelted wax, but is the same with MC.

Just to recap, plain GW444, 16 oz apothecary, 2 x RRD37, 6% Peak's Apple Jack-n-Peel, no dye. Candle is on it's third four-hour burn.

post-116-13945838659_thumb.jpg

Got around to pouring a couple of test candles with the GW444! Hopefully we can talk our esteemed Moderator :grin2: to pin this up and everyone who got GW444 can post test results!

For me, I heated 1 lb of GW444 (nothing else added to it) to 180, removed pour pot from water, added 1 oz Peak's Apple Jack n Peel, stirred for about two minutes, then stirred occasionally till the temp dropped to 140, then poured 12 oz into a 16 oz widemouth apothecary jar and 5 oz into an 8 oz jelly jar. Both jars were at room temperature, ab 70. Allowed to cool overnight. First picture is the apothecary jar:

Hi Geekrunner,

I only have a moment and ran across your post. I will read through it more carefully a little bit later. Just wanted to say that the first pic looks exactly like what the Calsoy CB-3 does. That is the same kind of circular hairline crack that I get when I make the test candles without the wicks mostly. If I did not know it was a different soy I would have thought it was CB-3. The burned ones look very smiliar too. I wonder if they are very close. Thanks for the info.

~Holly

P.S. The smooth texture looks the same too. I look forward to more reviews and results!

Just wanted to say that the first pic looks exactly like what the Calsoy CB-3 does. That is the same kind of circular hairline crack that I get when I make the test candles without the wicks mostly. If I did not know it was a different soy I would have thought it was CB-3.
Eco CB-Adv 2 gets the center dip and circular crack too.

I poured 3 testers tonight, I will try and post pics tomorrow. Tester A was straight 444 nothing added, heated to 185 deg and poured at 130 deg., Tester B was 97% 444 and 3% BW, heated to 185 deg. and poured at 130 deg. Tester C was also straight 444, nothing added, heated to 185 and poured at 160 deg. All have 7% MacIntosh Apple in them, and all poured into half pint wide mouth jars and wicked with double HTP73's. Also were all colored red and the jars cooled at room temp, about 74 deg.

Observations after "A" and "B" set up, Tester A had some slight roughness on the top, but not bad at all, and a very slight dip in the center, had a slight crack in the center, but was not cracked all the way through. Tester B, much rougher looking on the top. Tester C, very smooth on the top, slight dip and slight crack in the center. No frosting in any of them yet, and no wetspots (I will recheck this in the morning). After repouring on Tester A, top was very flat and smooth and glossy. Tester B was still rough and had some slight pitting in the center of the candle. Tester C, I have not done a repour on yet, but will in the morning. I expect it to be smooth as Tester A, which had the hot repour on the top as well. I would like to pour one from my KY Puresoy as well with the same FO and test them against each other for cold and hot throw.

I really like the idea of pouring this hot and the 444 seems to respond well to it, but it doesn't do well with the addition of BW. Tester C really came out looking the best after the initial set up, from being poured at 160 deg. Can't wait to try out the hot throw in it and see how it sets up after each burn.

Edited 11-28-05 - observations

After sitting overnight, all 3 of the candles developed some slight pulling away from the jar.

Tester A - Where it pulled away, the wax appears "textured", with lines running through it. Small airpockets between the wicks.

Tester B - Had the least amount of pulling away from the jar, but had to heatgun again to smooth out the top, because of the rough texture from the beeswax. Small airpockets between the wicks.

Tester C - Pulled away from the jar, but did not have the "textured" looking lines running through it.

All had just a tiny bit of frosting, but not bad at all for the red dye in them. Tester B had the least. It was mostly confined to the area of the repour, they all seemed to have a slight ring of light frosting.

I am not totally happy with the way they have set up, so I am not going to test burn them at this time. I am going to test the other GB container wax one day this week, to compare. They all have wonderful cold throw, but would like to try something heavier next time, maybe something with vanilla and cinnamon in it, to compare against these.

I poured a test candle last night. Straight 444 with 8% JS Hearth & Home, no color, heated to 175 and poured at 130. Poured into 16oz apothecary (jar not preheated) and single wicked with HTP 105. Jar had towel wrapped around it for insulation. Results this morning: Slight "flakiness" at top, no cracks, no dips, no wet spots, no frosting. A heat gun could fix the top without requiring a repour. Cold throw is great.

Hi Jennifer! Let us know how that burns. I have never been able to single wick an apothecary but if this wax burns that easily, it may become my wax of choice. I haven't received my samples, so can't do my own tests yet. All of you that have poured and burned, let us know how well it burns and wick sizes in various jars. It will help us testers when our wax comes. Beth

Mr. Geekrunner, Do you have anymore pictures?

Jason, you can call me geek, my dad is Mr. Geekrunner :laugh2:

I will post another soon, as soon as I can find my camera! Then I'm pulling the RRD37's out and replacing with a pair of LX wicks to see how they work. I like how the RRDs work, but I primarily use LXs and HTPs due to the wider range of sizes.

So far so good!

You know as a Bucs fan I am having a hard time with your Colts this year. I want Dungy Back....

Gruden can do the job, he just needs to help Simms mature as a passer. They can have a crushing bruising ground game with Cadillac and Alstott. At least you have a coach that has great facial expressions, and not a spitter like the Steeler's. I'm so glad to have it stuck to them last night. I still have memories of the 1995 AFC Championship game between the Colts and Steelers when Harbaugh was quarterbacking here, and Aaron Bailey came SO CLOSE to catching the Hail Mary! We could've played Dallas in the Super Bowl, and we had beaten them once that year. But I digress :)