Attention GB 464 users

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kdorfman-

frustrating isnt it? I started with 464, switched to CB135 but now am back to 464! It has the potential- some Eco wicks work with my fragrances but alot of them do not so I am testing the CD wicks now- hoefully that is the answer because I do really like this wax but may have to starting blending it with paraffin!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying for 3 months now and I still have no throw. I just ordered coconut oil to add into the mixture. Hopefully this will help. If I dont get a throw by the time finish all my wax up I will try something different. Running out of patients

Try the ECO 10 they say that size wick is the best for the 464. I have tried different sizes in wicks 6, 10, 14 and still no throw.

I am finally get hot throw with the 464 straight up- I switched to CD wicks- I heat the wax to 185- pour it into my pour pitcher- add fragrance right away- 10 to 12% depending on fragrance and stir until temp gets to 140 then pour into warm jars (I use the square 8oz Mason) and both the CD 10 and CD 12 are working as far as fragrance throw (I wait at least 3 days before lighting) I am getting mushrooming on the wicks but at this point...scent throw is good I will deal with that later

With the Eco I was getting more of a burning wax smell and black from the wick would mix into the melted wax

I did order paraffin to mix in with the 464 to see if I cant get better throw and resolve the mushrooming- also going to try htp wicks

This is the first time using this wax that I actually have 3 scents so far that actually throw- it is possible its just FRUSTRATING!!!!:undecided

Now my issue with this wax is that in my tarts I am getting white lines and rings on the tops- doing nothing different and I do not use dyes in anything- wondering if temp change is doing it- my basement stays pretty cool in fall and winter months! UGGHHH

10 to 12%...I am getting mushrooming on the wicks but at this point...scent throw is good I will deal with that later
Well, I guess you are! That's about twice the recommended percentage of 1 oz. per pound. :shocked2: You should be able to get a very good scent throw with 1 oz./pp if your wax is wicked correctly and the FOs are of good quality.
I wait at least 3 days before lighting

Allowing the candles to cure for at least 48 hours (I let mine sit for several days before testing) gives the FO a chance to develop in the wax. There has been much previous discussion about this, especially with certain fragrances (amber is one).

I did order paraffin to mix in with the 464 to see if I cant get better throw and resolve the mushrooming- also going to try htp wicks
Using too much FO will lead to issues with any wick. Try working with your FO load and wick size with one wick at a time; otherwise your results will be all over the place!
I am getting white lines and rings on the tops
A photo would help, but I suspect this is frosting from too high FO percentage, insufficient stirring of the FO into the wax and/or cooling too quickly (tarts are little things that cool fast). HTH :) Edited by Stella1952

:cheesy2:

Well, I guess you are! That's about twice the recommended percentage of 1 oz. per pound. :shocked2: You should be able to get a very good scent throw with 1 oz./pp if your wax is wicked correctly and the FOs are of good quality.

Allowing the candles to cure for at least 48 hours (I let mine sit for several days before testing) gives the FO a chance to develop in the wax. There has been much previous discussion about this, especially with certain fragrances (amber is one).

Using too much FO will lead to issues with any wick. Try working with your FO load and wick size with one wick at a time; otherwise your results will be all over the place!

A photo would help, but I suspect this is frosting from too high FO percentage, insufficient stirring of the FO into the wax and/or cooling too quickly (tarts are little things that cool fast). HTH :)

Hi Stella-

I am new to the board and very new to candlemaking- The 10 to 12% fragrance load is what I was going off of right from the CS recommendations on what the 464 can handle. The only reason I started to try this candlemaking craft was my frustration over buying sooo many candles that you cannot even smell when your right over top of them not to mention the high dollar places like yankee and bath and body works wants for them. I went with the 464 because it had the highest percentage of fragrance per pound. Maybe I am calculating it wrong but if I use 1 lb. of wax I multiply 16oz. X 12% to get 1.92 oz of fragrance per pound and at 10% I use 1.6 oz per pound- is this correct? I have not seen any seepage or feel any oily residue on the candles but some have had a heavy oily look to them if that makes any sense... as far as the tarts go I have been using 10% fragrance with a blend of 464 and PB and you say cooling to quickly could cause the rings and whites lines? I stir the fragrance in the wax right up to pouring and have done nothing different from when they were looking beautiful- maybe temp change in my basement with weather getting colder is causing cooling to fast?

I figured the mushrooming would be related to the fragrance amount or quality- but I really like super strong candles and I cannot get it in my head that sometimes less is more... I use mostly CS oils and NG along with a few from Just Scents, Lonestar and Peak. I will make some more like your suggestions with cutting back on the fragrance and testing the CD's one at a time- If you have any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it and at what percent of fragrance per pound do you suggest with this wax and the correct way to calculate it if I am doing it wrong!

Thank you so much- I am so glad to find a forum with such nice helpful people!:cheesy2:

I went with the 464 because it had the highest percentage of fragrance per pound.

Just because a wax CAN hold up to a certain percentage of FO (according to the supplier? Who also sells the FO? ;) ) does not mean this is the amount one must use. Some folks are well-pleased with 1/2 oz. PP. In general, 1 oz. PP is a good place to start. If the fragrance is heavy, try a little less. If it's not quite there, try a little more, but understand that a candle is a system of components that must work together - wax, wick, dye, additives, FO and container.

I've often encouraged folks to first use nothing in their wax - no additives, no dye, no fragrance. Just learn to pour & wick a decent candle. Then add some FO and see what happens. Get that straightened out, then add some dye to your blend. You will learn more in this way than by putting a lotta stuff together and not be able to isolate what's causing what issue, etc. HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...