Weighing Help

ladysj

Okay I need some help here. I'm finding when I weigh the gel for the amount of ounces per container I'm always coming up with more wax than I need.

Is there a certain way that gel should be weighed different from regular wax? TIA

That was always one of my problems. So I took to weigh the container I am going to use and then filling it with gel and then weighing again and I keep records of how much gel I need for each kind of container so I do not melt more than I need. I still get a little fluctuation if I switch densities but not to much.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget that after you add your scenting oil your volume of gel will go up about 5% So one ounce per pound added to 50 pounds/800 ounces of gel will produce 850 ounces or 53 pounds of scented gel.

Gel is also more dense than (most) wax, which is why wax that melts from pouring gel that is too hot will float to the top of the gel. So a pound of gel will fill fewer containers than a pound of wax.