Burn rates for pies

Hello everyone. I have a question about the burn rates of pies. I read on the old candletech site that gel has a burn rate of about 3-4hours per ounce. Is this the same in pie candles? I tested several of my pies that weighed around 10 oz each and I probably got about 25 hours. This doesn't seem right to me. My 5" pies seem small compared to others I have seen that weigh over 1lb per pie. Not sure how they do this -I feel like I over fill mine now and it runs over the sides on the initial burn.

Also, I am using gelwix fom Bittercreek-anyone use these? I am considering testing some HTP wicks, do these mushroom as bad as the cored wicks?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Tina

Well first the standard 5" pie has 3 wicks not all do, but that is the standard. 25 hours is not horrible, not great. You are only burning down 1" to 1 1/2" depending on the depth of your pie pans with 3 wicks.

I would get away from the gelwics for pies you do not have enough wiggle room for wick adjustment with them. I like the HTP for my pies.

Thanks Vicky---I will order some HTP wicks and see if I get a better result. The large gelwix were to big, but the medium seems too small as part of the core still remains on the wick while burning. Frustrating!!!

I will read thru some of the older posts for sizes, I think it was 104 and 105 for the 5" candles and 83 or so for the 3".

I am getting a large sampling of wicks.. pretty soon I will have them all!!!:smiley2:

Thanks for your help!!! I feel like there is hope---I am getting closer to getting these to burn correctly and smell great!!!

Tina